Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Egypt declares national emergency

Still Waters

Egypt's presidency has declared a state of emergency after scores of people were killed when security forces stormed protest camps in Cairo.

The camps had been occupied by supporters of former president Mohammed Morsi, who was deposed in early July.

Security forces say 95 people have been killed, but the Muslim Brotherhood says hundreds have died.

The state of emergency will begin at 16:00 local time (1400 GMT), and last for a month.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...e-east-23700663

I just seen protesters blaming the US and the west for not intervening...no matter what happens we seem to take the blame :unsure2:

• Like 5

Seems the BBC supported the Brotherhood long before this. Though there is confusion who actually killed the protesters

Seems the BBC supported the Brotherhood long before this. Though there is confusion who actually killed the protesters

The 'peaceful' victims and their handiwork?!

http://videoyoum7.com/?p=218194

http://videoyoum7.com/?p=218309

https://www.facebook...&type=1

• Like 1

The military is in a no-win. They waited six weeks and they did so because they KNEW this was probably how it would unfold. There are secularists and Islamists (as I see it) vying for control of Egypt and if the Islamists win EVERYONE will suffer. If the secularists win then only those who resort to violence will suffer. Oversimplified and maybe totally wrong, but that is how I see it.

• Like 1

It's a shame to imagine all of the people caught in the crossfire..

• Like 1

I think Secretary of State John Kerry, summed it up best by the look on his face, during

President Obama couldn't have picked a better man to fill this important post, but he is powerless to stop what is coming, as is the rest of the world.

As some of you may know, I have a special fondness for Egypt. I believe they could have a great future, but they may have missed their chance, sadly. The tables seem to have turned against them, towards a Syrian style civil war, but with a population that is much larger.

What this means is dire indeed, because it will frighten Israel, and may cause her to attack Iran sooner, and that would add to the threat of a civil war in Egypt, with or without military assistance from the U.S.

I recommended months ago right here, that the U.S. government stop giving money to the Egyptian military, because the time for bribes had long past. That recommendation was ignored, despite the fact that I arguably saw the Egyptian revolution coming, long before the State Department. I recommended that they provide economic support the Egyptian people, instead. At least we could have saved face, but we did not, and now the Egyptians will hate U.S. for supporting the next dictator, who will be far worse than Mubarak. He will be a devil that will kill many, if he is allowed to come to power, and the military will support him with open arms, as they did Mubarak.

The United States should cut off all assistance to the Egyptian military, at once, while there's still time to save some face. These people need hope, not guns. If this is done, there may still be a chance to rescue the Egyptian people, from this evil dictator who waits in the wings. I don't know who he is but there could be a clue in my writings here.

There are some smart folks at the NSA. Weren't there two hidden truths in what I published here, before the revolution began, even arguably showing the direction it would likely take?

One path leads to death, another to life ... and it was standing left in front of you, and them.

Choose life Egypt, choose the left without any fear or reservation, and demand the U.S. stop supplying weapons to your military.

Post 11 January 4, 2011 - 04:51 PM

....Essentially, the peril to come will be directly proportional to the denial of the power at hand. It's less a religious argument, and more one of how helpful change can occur.

If you can't see the danger ahead, then perhaps the artists presenting here can be of assistance.

Edited by Raptor Witness
  • Like 1

It is the Jihad. The Muslim Brotherhood is convinced it is acting behalf of god, so they are never going to give up.

The only way for modernity to survive in Egypt is to ban the Muslim Brothers again.

Alas, the idiotic governments in Washington and Brussels are in bed with the MB.

• Like 3

It is the Jihad. The Muslim Brotherhood is convinced it is acting behalf of god, so they are never going to give up.

The only way for modernity to survive in Egypt is to ban the Muslim Brothers again.

Alas, the idiotic governments in Washington and Brussels are in bed with the MB.

so you dont condemn the militarys actions? Kinda like a genocide?

Do you condemn genocide? Kinda like targeting innocent groups of the population because they follow a religion different from the majority's?

"

Report on the attacks against Copts on 14 August

Until 7pm this afternoon, the following churches and Coptic-owned institutions in Egypt had been burned at th...e hands of Islamists. Watani lists them here chronologically:

Three churches and six buildings at the monastery of the Holy Virgin and Anba Abra’am in Dalga, Minya, Upper Egypt

The church of Mar-Mina in the district of Abu-Hilal in the town of Minya

The bishopric church of Mar-Girgis (St George) in Sohag, Upper Egypt

The church of the Holy Virgin in Nazla, Fayoum, Lower Egypt

The Baptist church in Beni-Mazar, Minya

Coptic-owned shops in Gumhouriya Street in Assiut, Upper Egypt

The Good Shepherd School in Suez

The Fransiscan School in Suez

The Holy Bible Society in Fayoum

The church of al-Amir Tawadros (St Theodore) in Fayoum

The church of the Holy Virgin in the district of Abu-Hilal in the town of Minya

The Catholic church of St Mark, Minya

The Jesuit church in Abu-Hilal, Minya

The church of Mar-Morqos (St Mark) and its community centre, Sohag

18 houses of Coptic families in Dalga, Minya, including the home of Father Angaelus Melek of the Holy Virgin and Anba Abra’am’s

The Evangelical church on Nassara Street in Abu-Hilal, Minya

The church of Anba Moussa al-Aswad in Minya

Coptic-owned shops, pharmacies, and a doctor’s clinic in Minya

The Jesuit church in Minya (attacked, not burned)

The St Fatima Basilica in Cairo (attacked, not burned)

St Joseph’s School in Minya (attacked, not burned)

The Nile boat al-Dahabiya, owned by the Evangelical Church in Minya

Coptic-owned shops, pharmacy, and hotels on Karnak Street and Cleopatra Street in Luxor (attacked and looted)

The church of Mar-Girgis (St George) in Wasta (attacked)

The church of St Michael on Nemeis Street in Assiut, Upper Egypt

The Adventist church in Assiut; the pastor and his wife were both kidnapped

The Greek church in Suez

The church of Mar-Girgis in Assiut

Coptic houses on Qulta Street in Assiut attacked

The church of Mar-Girgis (St George) in Arish, North Sinai

The church of St Dimiana and the Evangelical church in the village of Zerbi in Fayoum

The offices of the Evangelical foundation in Minya, and those of Umm al-Nour in Beni-Mazar, Minya

The church of Anba Antonius in Kerdassa, Giza

The bishopric church in Etfeeh, Giza

In addition to the attacks against the Copts, their churches, businesses, and property; Egyptians were aghast at attempts by the Islamists to break into the Bibliotheca Alexandrina (BA) in Alexandria and set it on fire. The BA security and staff confronted the assailants in the courtyard, and there was an exchange of gunfire. According to Khaled Azab, the BA’s media manager, the conference hall was plundered, and a number of acquisitions went missing. The glass façade was shattered.

In Deir Muwass, Minya, the locals called Watani in horror to report that 30 armed Islamists broke into the local water treatment station and cut off the water supply to the nearby villages and towns, meaning that should a fire erupt there would be no water to put it off.

Coptic youth organisations—including the Maspero Youth Union, Copts Without Chains, The Coptic Consultant Council, and the Coptic Coalition—have all condemned the attacks against the Copts and the inadequate protection they were offered. The demanded security protection, and called upon Egypt’s Muslims to join in their defence.

Father Rafiq Greiche, spokesman of the Catholic Church in Egypt, strongly condemned the attacks against churches and Christians, saying that the Copts were made to pay the price for their participation in the revolution against the Islamist regime on 30 June. He demanded that the State should take a firm stance against the assailants.

Fr Rafiq announced that the Catholic Church has called off the celebrations of the feast of the Assumption of the Holy Virgin tomorrow.

The Coptic Orthodox Church issued a statement in which it said it was closely following on the “lamentable situation” in Egypt today. The statement strongly condemned the “successive attacks against Egypt’s Christians, their churches, property and livelihoods,” and also the attacks against the Egyptian police and civilians. It called upon the Egyptian government and armed forces to defend Egyptians and maintain the unity of Egypt. It also called upon “our Muslim fellow Egyptians to stand against the vicious attack of places of worship which should never be part of any struggle.

“We pray to the One God we all worship for every Egyptian to be a shield to defend the homeland against terrorism and violence. We pray for peace and calm to reign over Egypt.”

Reported by Nader Shukry, Tereza Kamal, Basma William, Michael Victor, Samira Mazahy, Ra’fat Edward, Girgis Waheeb

Watani International

14 August 2013" https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10153093727325386&id=763825385

The above took place in one day, and has been planned for and instigated by the self-same armed 'peaceful' MB protesters

"A few days before the protests and throughout the week of demonstrations, media sympathetic to the Brotherhood launched a campaign that represented the protests as a Christian conspiracy against Islam. The campaign was staged with an intensity that was sufficient to catalyze bloody sectarian clashes. On the Muslim Brotherhood-affiliated television channel Misr 25, Noureddin, a program presenter, made a fictitious announcement that Christians were attacking mosques. On an Islamist-affiliated channel, program guest Shaykh Mahmoud Shaaban, a Salafist, concocted a story that Christians had congregated in Tahrir Square and that their main chant was “Jesus is the solution,” as if Christians were countering the Muslim Brotherhood slogan, “Islam is the solution.”

http://arabist.net/blog/2013/8/12/the-brothers-and-the-copts

• Like 1

No, I do not condemn the military, and reversing the Muslim Brotherhood takeover is certainly not a "genocide".

That is a ridiculous use of the term.

What you (and your government by the way) do not get is that in islamic countries like Egypt and Turkey, the military acts as a last-ditch defense of secularism. Remove that, and the islamists will vote themselves to power, and the country to radical Shariah rule. You really want to see Egypt turn into one gigantic Gazah strip?

(And in that case, you would of course have your "genocide", namely that of the Egyptian Copts. The Muslim Brothers are already burning down Coptic churches as we speak.)

• Like 3

Loss of life is always regrettable, but the number of victims that is being bandied around is that of victims all over Egypt, not just Rab'a; it also includes those who were killed by the MB. That the sit in included heavily armed groups is an undisputed fact but many prefer to ignore it. The protesters had been warned to leave for 10 days, then again by loud speakers before the police cleared their sit-in. A designated safe escape route was advertized and many used it to exit the area unharmed. The police then used tear gas and water. They were shot at by the MB, 43 policemen were killed. In the melee 250 died, shot by both sides.

As for the EU position, as a European citizen, I am appalled! Mrs. Ashton made the effort to check if Mursi's fridge is well-stocked with goodies yet are totally silent about the continuous attacks on Copts. I can only copy a comment written by a reader of an article about this subject

" There are rumors that EU also wanted to issue official protest and to condemn the killings of copts by MB thugs. But someone forgot to press the send key......"

Raptor, your prophecy is really scary! I cannot claim that I fully understood it, especially the part of 'turning left' and the new dictator. However, I think a full-fledged civil war is unlikely. The MB are a highly organized armed terrorist group, but they and their supporters are still a minority. Egyptians had/have no options but to try to forge ahead and try to build a democracy based on freedom, equality and social justice. What is likely to happen is a prolonged terror campaign similar to the 1990s in which 2000 people died, but this time the majority of people are more aware and involved, while the MB has totally discredited itself and has lost a lot of support.

As for the US aid, it can not be used to force on the people a regime they do not accept.

• Like 1

I have a close friend living in Alexandria right now. She's an American Expat of no religion. She's flat scared at this point and coming from her, that worries me. She's a TOUGH nut that's been through a lot and she's a rational, smart and capable woman. She's not leaving her house, her fiancee being an Egyptian and non-practicing coptic christian is also very afraid to leave their home. Currenty they've taken in a family of four who were attacked unprovoked and beaten by the Muslim Brotherhood. A mother, father and twin infants.

My friend is so level headed.... if she says it's bad... that probably means its worse than she's saying being she doesn't want to upset her friends and family back in the states.

I just hope they get things under control soon.

Edited by MissMelsWell
  • Like 4

I have a close friend living in Alexandria right now. She's an American Expat of no religion. She's flat scared at this point and coming from her, that worries me. She's a TOUGH nut that's been through a lot and she's a rational, smart and capable woman. She's not leaving her house, her fiancee being an Egyptian and non-practicing coptic christian is also very afraid to leave their home. Currenty they've taken in a family of four who were attacked and beaten by the Muslim Brotherhood.

My friend is so level headed.... if she says it's bad... that probably means its worse than she's saying being she doesn't want to upset her friends and family back in the states.

I just hope they get things under control soon.

My mom flatly refused that I go visit them any time in the near future! When I go, I will go alone, my daughter will definitely not accompany me.

No, I do not condemn the military, and reversing the Muslim Brotherhood takeover is certainly not a "genocide".

That is a ridiculous use of the term.

What you (and your government by the way) do not get is that in islamic countries like Egypt and Turkey, the military acts as a last-ditch defense of secularism. Remove that, and the islamists will vote themselves to power, and the country to radical Shariah rule. You really want to see Egypt turn into one gigantic Gazah strip?

(And in that case, you would of course have your "genocide", namely that of the Egyptian Copts. The Muslim Brothers are already burning down Coptic churches as we speak.)

I seem to remmeber Christians burning down Mosques and Coptic churches

That's because religion does crazy things to people..

Or, rather, people do crazy things because of religion..

Where, when, link and sources please.

Today, since I wrote post #12 four more churches were burnt in Kerdassa, Kafr Hakim, Ezbet al Nakhel, and Al Mansouriyya. In Minya a 5th century ancient monastery is being demolished; yet you "seem to remember" incidents that NEVER took place! May be the reason why you're having difficulty remembering Copts burning mosques and churches is because it has no base in reality. May be you should do some research before you start vilifying the wronged party with fantastical accusations.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/08/15/coptic-christian-churches-buildings-targeted-by-muslim-brotherhood-for-second/

• Like 2

We found out today on CNN something that shouldn't surprise any of U.S.

Apparently this 1.5 billion in "aid" that we've been giving yearly to the Egyptian military, amounts to arms supplied by U.S. contractors.

Somehow, they just don't get the danger this puts U.S. in. What does Egypt need with that many deadly toys?

Here are two curious forecasts, regarding the consequences I see for this practice. I'm focusing on the part that arguably points to Egyptian references.

The sun rising in the East, also points to a possible connection to Egyptian myth.

There are some hidden truths here, which I don't want to contemplate. Key phrases ... "shall your tree catch fire," .... and "sets on the West."

These point to natural phenomena.

Dec 21st, 2006 8:32 PM

So what's the good news? You've already heard it. You've heard the story a thousand times, and yet you still believe that it's Ok to be merchants of death, while at the same time worshipping the author of Life every SUNday. Why don't you just call it Horus-day, it's the truth. Why don't you just ship copies of the baby Jesus in all those cartons and trailers full of guns and weapons of violence? Better yet, put gunpowder inside baby Jesus and ship that out, but give 'em a discount, in case your bloodthirsty customers are disappointed.

You have no light, only darkness, because you manufacture and sell darkness while pretending to be emissaries of the Light. Therefore, shall your tree catch fire, and you shall be reduced to ashes on the ground in the sight of your enemies ...

... there is only one action that the United States can take to regain the moral high ground on earth, and have immediate results.

Immediately but quietly suspend all weapon sales from our soil, abroad. Forget the influence it gives you. Find something else to sell the world to replace the weapons of violence. Take a financial hit on this, even if it costs you thousands of jobs. You will be repaid later, handsomely. If you do this, God will return to your side and fight with and for you. If you fail to do this, He will destroy you as surely as the sun rises in the East and sets on the West. It's your choice. If you make the correct one, it won't matter if the rest of the world goes to Hell.

"Since the end of the Cold War, the United States has dominated the global arms market, in terms of the value of arms transfer agreements and in arms deliveries." [Air Force Magazine]

Edited by Raptor Witness

Raptor, your prophecy is really scary! I cannot claim that I fully understood it, especially the part of 'turning left' and the new dictator. However, I think a full-fledged civil war is unlikely. The MB are a highly organized armed terrorist group, but they and their supporters are still a minority. Egyptians had/have no options but to try to forge ahead and try to build a democracy based on freedom, equality and social justice. What is likely to happen is a prolonged terror campaign similar to the 1990s in which 2000 people died, but this time the majority of people are more aware and involved, while the MB has totally discredited itself and has lost a lot of support.

As for the US aid, it can not be used to force on the people a regime they do not accept.

I'm not sure but I think Raptor is referring to Isaiah 19:

And I will set the Egyptians against the Egyptians: and they shall fight every one against his brother, and every one against his neighbour; city against city, and kingdom against kingdom.

3 And the spirit of Egypt shall fail in the midst thereof; and I will destroy the counsel thereof: and they shall seek to the idols, and to the charmers, and to them that have familiar spirits, and to the wizards.

4 And the Egyptians will I give over into the hand of a cruel lord; and a fierce king shall rule over them, saith the Lord, the Lord of hosts.

5 And the waters shall fail from the sea, and the river shall be wasted and dried up.

6 And they shall turn the rivers far away; and the brooks of defence shall be emptied and dried up: the reeds and flags shall wither.

It continues for a few more verses but the reference to be ruled over by a "cruel king" has adherents in a couple of directions. I have always thought this prophecy is about the time when antichrist rules the world. Since there is no indication of any such thing just yet, I don't think this spasm of violence is THAT prophecy being fulfilled yet.

• Like 1

In Egypt?? When? Do you have a link for that, or did you pull that out of thin air?

Fwiw, there is only a tiny handful of Christians in Egypt, and their lifes are precarious to say the least. Any Christian burning down a mosque would have a half-life of about zero.

What nonsense.

Edited by Zaphod222
  • Like 2

I just chatted with my friend... she says Al Jazeera is now scrambled in Alexandria although her internet connection remains stable so far. She's hoping this is a sign that the military is getting serious and finally moving in to stop insanity. It's been a rough few days and she's going stir crazy holed up in her tiny flat with 4 adults, two infants and a cat who goes nuts every time it hears gunfire. She's not looking forward to tomorrow when one of them will need to go out and try to find supplies and food.

• Like 1