Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Beast of Trowbridge spotted in Winsley

Commander CMG

Herbert and Doreen Smith were walking in Murhill Woods, at around 10.30am, when they spotted the big black cat.

Down the years, the creature, which has been described as being a puma or a panther, has been spotted in Trowbridge, Staverton and Westbury Leigh amongst others places.

Mr Smith, 71, who lives in Winsley, said: “Our first impression was sheer astonishment, we really could not believe our eyes at what we were seeing. The animal was eating what we believe it had just caught.

arrow3.gifView: Read more

• Like 1

I agree with Richard. Them pointy ears look like they belong on a German Shepard.

Couldn't the news reporter have placed a housecat or even a dog in the same place for size comparison?

Sorry. Nevermind. We wouldn't want to dispel any beastly notions.

Edited by QuiteContrary

And once again we're presented with a questionable (at best) photograph. They only took one photo? They said it raised its head - where's the photo of that? They claim they were only 20 feet away and it clearly wasn't in any hurry to leave. If I see something interesting when I'm hiking or fishing, I'll routinely take twenty or more pictures of it and even a video if I can.

And then there's the matter of scale. Sure, it could be a big cat. It could also just as easily be a house cat. And as was mentioned above, it could also be a dog.

looks like a dog to me folks.would have been more impressed to see footprints of whatever it was.

Yeah, that's a dog. Most likely a German Shepard.

I think the one that gave me the biggest laugh was when someone posted a picture of a house cat and claimed it was a dark cougar or something like it in England.

LoL. Mr Smith said the animal looked up at him and he stared at his face. If it was a german shepherd that was eating something in the grass, then he would have spotted the difference. Big Cat.

“There was a lot of rabbits about so I expect it was having breakfast. I was about 20ft away from it whilst it was eating, it looked up at me for a couple of seconds then resumed eating.

LoL. Mr Smith said the animal looked up at him and he stared at his face. If it was a german shepherd that was eating something in the grass, then he would have spotted the difference. Big Cat.

And as we know, Mr. Smith has never lied.

Then there's the other possibility, Mr. Smith has no experience with big cats and can't tell the difference between a Black Panther and Mr. McTabby Cuddlebiscuits. You know, like those folks down in Louisiana a few weeks back who swore on a stack of bibles that what they saw was a black panther in their backyard - until LA Fish & Game showed up and compared the photo with a life-sized panther silhouette.

It certainly strikes me as being a German Shepard, quite possibly doing his business with that arched back (every dog I've owned kepts their back straight while eating.

If it was a large cat I highly doubt it would be that cooperative being watched while eating, and this story would more likely end up in the True Crime section.

its not a dog its a huge animal..... and probably one not normally seen in the light.

we have to agree un seen things exist. This , by the photo , is clearly something really big.. **** it its a dog ? no.... its bigger than that i have 8 big dogs here with me and neither of them are that big....and my dogs are really f. big.....that animal is 3 x the size of a dog....wether its a puma or a beast...doesnt matter at this point cuz the owner of the pics did not make an effort in showing more of it...so f. it..... but its not a normal dog...

its not a dog its a huge animal..... and probably one not normally seen in the light.

Nope, doesn't make sense. Nocturnal animals do not come out and feed in the middle of the day unless they're in a lot of trouble - and that one looked like a well fed beastie to me, so it has no need (if it's nocturnal) to come out in the middle of the day. ESPECIALLY if it's a herbivore. Herbivorous nocturnal animals (like possums) sleep during the day, if they move it's to find somewhere safer to sleep not to eat.

I copied the picture and zoomed in on it. The 'beast' has tawny coloured legs and underbelly. As well as the forementioned ears being too long, it's tail is too short and bushy to be a cat.

It's just a dog.

I would hope two adults could tell the difference between a feline and a dog, from 20 feet, on a sunny day. Especially when it looked right at them.

However, I know in Legendland that isn't a given. Where what you know you see, doesn't always make it unaltered to your brain or later, your tongue.

The article stated the full story will be out Friday. I wait with bated breath to get the full story.

A story so amazing it is posted days apart, to give us time to digest it all and go back for more...(hits on their site). :td:

Edited by QuiteContrary

we have to agree un seen things exist. This , by the photo , is clearly something really big.. **** it its a dog ? no.... its bigger than that i have 8 big dogs here with me and neither of them are that big....and my dogs are really f. big.....that animal is 3 x the size of a dog....wether its a puma or a beast...doesnt matter at this point cuz the owner of the pics did not make an effort in showing more of it...so f. it..... but its not a normal dog...

so how did you come to that conclusion?

Has anyone ever been attacked by this animal.People I know ,regularly walk alone along the canal tow path after dark,some of them quite old living on Narrow Boats around that area between Dunster and Avoncliff Aquaduct,and a lot of cyclists of all ages use the same tow path after dark .There is no lighting at all on the tow path,so you must carry a torch.

I copied the picture and zoomed in on it. The 'beast' has tawny coloured legs and underbelly. As well as the forementioned ears being too long, it's tail is too short and bushy to be a cat.

It's just a dog.

Why don't you post your evidence? The tail is long and curved, the haunches high, just like a black panther that are known to exist into the UK wilderness.

Here's the famous footage videoed by a policeman:

Policeman takes 'big cat' video

A second photo of the scene from the same spot (defined by the foreground framing and the background proportions) should allow the distance to the critter, and so its size, to be accurately determined.

Why don't you post your evidence? The tail is long and curved, the haunches high, just like a black panther that are known to exist into the UK wilderness.

Here's the famous footage videoed by a policeman:

Policeman takes 'big cat' video

So you avoid the ear?

So tell me what type of Puma or Leopard or any other big cat has pointed ears?

That animal in the video looks like a black Labrador

"Here, Doreen, did we drink all that cooking sherry before we went for our walk this morning?"

• Like 1

Too me it looks like a black German Shepard

It looks too large to be a German Shepard.

It looks too large to be a German Shepard.

Based on? There's no real sense of scale going on in the pic. It's a german sheppard in a field most likely eating something he caught in said field. Or he's looking for a good spot to deposit his previous nights meal.