Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Do you believe the moon landing was fake?

Nighthawk9653

I always thought it was real, like I just never really thought that someone out there would go to such lengths to fake it.

Now I'm not really up to date with spacecraft and manned missions to space, so I don't know how many of them there were.

But anyways,

I read a book, called 'Maggot Moon' that was actually really good, and made me wonder.

But my question is, is do you think the moon landing was a hoax?

Nighthawk9653,

I've moved this to the conspiracies section. There have been an awful lot of topics on this subject over the years, and an awful lot of opinions (in the case of hoax believers) and facts (in the case of those that know it was real... it's obvious which side I'm on).

If you want to read more about the debate then click HERE and it will take you to the most recent topic on the subject. The 8th post in this topic lists most of the rest of the topics on the subject.

Be warned, you have prodded a hornets nest, debate on the Moon Hoax theory can be very heated.

Our local troothers would have no problem believing it was fake.

All you need to do is turn off your brain.

• Like 9

It wasn't a hoax. Anyone who examines the historical record (of what must be the best- and most openly documented- historical event of all time) will see that.

The only people who believe it was hoaxed are those without the requisite skills to understand portions of that record, or those who see a buck to be made from sellings books and dvds and websites with paid ads and subscription-only info.

They also generally have an axe to grind with the ebil establishment, are eager to latch onto anything that supports their world-view and refuse to investigate properly or listen to the science behind the missions.

But let's cut to the chase:

Q.1. You do realise that Maggot Moon is a FICTION book set in a fictional historical timeline?

Q.2 What are the most convincing two or three things that makes you think Apollo was hoaxed?

Q.3 Have you visited any sites that deal with the hoax claims (like ApolloHoax.net, or Clavius.org) and if not, why not?

• Like 7

I always thought it was real, like I just never really thought that someone out there would go to such lengths to fake it.

Now I'm not really up to date with spacecraft and manned missions to space, so I don't know how many of them there were.

But anyways,

I read a book, called 'Maggot Moon' that was actually really good, and made me wonder.

It was real.

One fact alone should convince you of this - there have literally been millions of people worldwide over the last almost 50 years who could have had an opportunity to expose the "truth" if the landings had been fake (not the least of which was the Kremlin). And yet, none of them have.

Edited by Rafterman
  • Like 4

Nope it was real.

The russians would have jumped all over the US if they could have proved it was fake... and would have. And if anyone could have proven it a fake I'm sure the russians would have. ;)

• Like 5

My grandfather worked at NASA for a long time. During the Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo missions. We did land on the moon. But, there were a lot of things that went on behind the scenes, a lot of people don't know about. Like Neil Armstrong used up to much fuel when he landed on the moon, and they almost didn't get him back! True story...

• Like 4

No I don't think it was faked. I do think there are things about the moon and space that are being kept quiet about. A part of me thinks there's more to the moon than it being just a floating rock satelite.

• Like 3

Most of the CT stories about this seem to follow the story line of the old movie "Capricorn One"... Which, IMO, is where virtually all con theories about this started...

100 years ago, the people who write these books and push these 'theories' would be trying to sell you a Bridge in Brooklyn...

Edited by Taun
  • Like 4

It was real.

One fact alone should convince you of this - there have literally been millions of people worldwide over the last almost 50 years who could have had an opportunity to expose the "truth" if the landings had been fake (not the least of which was the Kremlin). And yet, none of them have.

I think the Soviet angle is most telling,if they had any suspicions at all they would've announced to the world it was a fake-they never have.

• Like 3

With all of the space junk floating around in space, something must have landed on the moon by now. I remember seeing the moon walk on TV. The picture was grainy, but I think it was very real.

• Like 1

With all of the space junk floating around in space, something must have landed on the moon by now. I remember seeing the moon walk on TV. The picture was grainy, but I think it was very real.

My mum watched it live, she was pregnant with me....and they were about 10 neighbours in the living room watching it together...how times have changed, eh?

The moon landing was real because, like somebody said already, the Russians would have jumped at the chance to destroy Nasa.

• Like 2

My mum watched it live, she was pregnant with me....and they were about 10 neighbours in the living room watching it together...how times have changed, eh?

The moon landing was real because, like somebody said already, the Russians would have jumped at the chance to destroy Nasa.

It was my 16th birthday, and my 'party' consisted of my family and a few good friends watching the landing and walk... Best birthday ever!

• Like 5

I think it was real. Otherwise every member of NASA was part of the conspiricy if you believe that. Thousands of people in multiple cities had to keep their story straight.

• Like 2

It's nice to see that the majority are on the side of truth on this one..

Sweetpumper, care to elaborate on your very unclear one liner? Or was it just a hilarious joke?

• Like 1

Moon Landings fake? Hell No! They couldn't keep Watergate secret back then so how could they keep something

bigger like the Apollo missions from the public being a fraud. And the US was in competition with the Soviet Union.

The Soviets were monitoring the missions and if they detected any fraud they would have blown the lid wide open.

• Like 1

My grandfather worked at NASA for a long time. During the Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo missions. We did land on the moon. But, there were a lot of things that went on behind the scenes, a lot of people don't know about. Like Neil Armstrong used up to much fuel when he landed on the moon, and they almost didn't get him back! True story...

Sorry, but it isn't a true story. It's an often misunderstood story. The "30 seconds", etc fuel calls were to a point where he would have to land immediately or abort the landing. They were not in danger of running out of fuel.

But anyways,

There was no way to fake a moon mission and not get caught, especially with the Soviet Union tracking the Apollo moon flights. There were countries that tracked the moon missions and some countries even photographed the Apollo landing sites on the moon.

My flying buddy was on the Apollo 14 recovery team, which flew the astronauts back to Texas, so I am attaching a newspaper article as he prepares to board his aircraft to fly to Pago Pago to transport the Apollo 14 astronauts to Texas on a mission that originated from my base in California.

post-32948-0-21504000-1376723667_thumb.j

Edited by skyeagle409

It was a fake, for sure.

The USSR did nothing when JFK was shot, or with the fake moon landings. So ithe argument about Soviets crying foul simply doesn't hold up.

OP - it's good you question the landings. The truth is sad, at times. But hiding from it is far worse.

It was a fake, for sure.

The USSR did nothing when JFK was shot,...

Why would the Soviet Union do anything about JFK? The Soviet Union didn't do anything when someone broke into my truck, but one thing the Soviet Union did do, and that is, the Soviet Union confirmed that the United States landed men on the moon.

...or with the fake moon landings.

You have already been proven wrong because the Apollo landing sites have been photographed and the Apollo moon missions have been tracked to the moon and back.

Edited by skyeagle409

I think the Soviet angle is most telling,if they had any suspicions at all they would've announced to the world it was a fake-they never have.

The Soviet Union would have blasted a faked Apollo moon mission all over the airwaves of the whole world, but what did the Soviet Union do? The Soviet Union confirmed to its own people that the United States landed men on the moon.

Russia Still Blue Over Moon Landing 40 Years Later

MOSCOW--When Neil Armstrong stepped onto the surface of the moon, it was a first for the Soviet Union - the first time the U.S. had beaten the U.S.S.R in the space race. Forty years later, the memory of that loss of primacy still seems to sting the Russian soul.

The Moon Landing through Soviet Eyes: A Q&A with Sergei Khrushchev, son of former premier Nikita Khrushchev

A son of the Cold War tells what it was like from the losing side of the Space Race--and how the U.S.S.R.'s space program fizzled after Sputnik and Gagarin

How widely was the news of the moon landing disseminated in the Soviet Union in advance of the event?

Of course, you cannot have people land on the moon and just say nothing. It was published in all the newspapers.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=apollo-moon-khrushchev

Former Soviet space official on US moon landing

JESSICA GOLLOHER: In 1969, Roald Sagdeev was working as a nuclear physicist in the Soviet Union. He went on to become the Director of the Soviet Space Institute. Roald Sagdeev, do you remember what your reaction was to the news that America had successfully put a man on the moon?

ROALD SAGDEEV: Oh, yes absolutely. Yes, I was well aware of existing lunar competition and it was obvious that Apollo made sure that Russians lost the space leader crown.

GOLLOHER: And so was that a source of either anger or resentment, or upset for you?

SAGDEEV: I think, as many other Soviets, we had mixed feelings. There was some sadness to know that we were not anymore space leaders. But I think at the same time I think overwhelming feeling that Armstrong and all the steps down on the moon surface was on behalf of all of us too. On behalf of all the humankind.

http://www.theworld.org/2009/07/former-soviet-space-official-on-us-moon-landing/

People who have an interest should read Boris Chertok's biography, 'Rockets & People', specifically Vol IV where he describes all the steps that the USSR took to try and beat the US to the Moon... and the reasons why it failed.

Hint: none of the reasons involve "It couldn't be done".

• Like 1

It was a fake, for sure.

The USSR did nothing when JFK was shot, or with the fake moon landings. So ithe argument about Soviets crying foul simply doesn't hold up.

OP - it's good you question the landings. The truth is sad, at times. But hiding from it is far worse.

aww how cute, still pushing your garbage apollo bs.

• Like 4

Add to all of this that the Infrastructure built for the Apollo program is still in place and in use. LC39, engine test stands at Stennis, etc. It's been modified for newer programs, but it worked in the 60s, and it's still working today.

Why build a system capable of flying men to the Moon...then not go???

• Like 1