Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Router help needed

chromefox

Right long story short im on EE (orange) home broadband, the brightbox the router they supply connects then eventually loses connection if im downloadin or youtube you can see the transfer rate slowly drop i have had them send out another which does the same thing.. im currently using a netgear DGseries which seems to work an seems stable though im wondering if anyone can help with the brightbox as it supposedly is meant to get better speeds and the wireless is faster too if its of any help my pc is running windows 8 64 and is kept up to date as are the rest of the drivers and the motherboard is asus.

thanks

I'd try CCleaner & Malwarebytes as it could well be software related. (both free) CCleaner first, a restart then a full system scan with Malwarebytes.

• Like 1

i have been using ccleaner quite religiously and i also have norton 360 installed though i cant see how that would be an issue im installin malwarebytes..on a note i also have spybot installed

Could be clash of drivers, Chromefox. A couple or several applications trying to do the same job. (I'm on Orange too but still using the Netgear WNA1100. For Win8 I had to download the very latest drivers)

Hope these are of some help...

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/freeserve/4114807-bright-box-fault-or-pants.html?fpart=all&vc=1

http://help.ee.co.uk/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1016&PARTITION_ID=1&secureFlag=false&TIMEZONE_OFFSET=&CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&USERTYPE=1&ARTICLE_ID=540750

• Like 1

I don't have any experience with Windows 8 but it looks like they made it difficult to access the Safe Mode option (F8) at boot time, since allegedly Windows 8 boots up so fast you don't have time to press F8. Hmm, ok.

Anyways, there is a way to enable it through a series of menus.

http://www.techrepub...into-safe-mode/

Make sure you choose Safe Mode with Networking. Then when it boots up you should just have the minimal necessary stuff loaded to get you on the Internet. If that works fine, then you know there is some software or other configuration on your pc that is causing the problem. If that doesn't fix it, then it's probably a hardware/network config problem.

tried reinstalling drivers newer and previous also updated the intel managment engine components, i have also gone and bought a new extension cable which is considerably shorter and i have done the safe mode option and while using the shorter extension seems to have helped the speeds a little im still having the issue now bare in mind i used the long extension without any issues for a long time and orcseeker please forgive me but im not 100% sure on that question . i spoke to EE (orange) and i got the typical line test then we shall alter a few settings our end give it 24 hours then please phone back if the issue persists script ..and as silly as it is yes i tried resetting the brightbox lol, i have tried 2 brightboxes and a netgear DGv3 and i also tried against my better judgement a program called TCP Optimizer

im not sure if this would be of any help but this is my motherboard ...Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.

Model P8H61-MX R2.0 (LGA1155)

just thought of this too i got some windows updates the other day too you dont think this would have caused any issues?

Edited by chromefox

I don't think the motherboard would have had such an affect.

Try this: http://sourceforge.net/projects/freemeter/

Check to see how your Internet drops out (after a spike, bandwidth diminishing, etc. You can see it on the graph). When I asked for what type of Internet you had I was wondering if it was cable, wireless, adsl2+, etc.

Possible faults with ADSL. That you might be a bit of a distance from the tower and perhaps since you have recently experienced these issues, congestion of people connection to the tower with un maintained infrastructure could be the problems.

Cable... Faulty connection. Perhaps the ISPs end. Try get them to do a line test when you experience these problems. It could be a result of particularly bad weather, which can rust some connections also and these would need to be replaced in the case they are the issue.

The fact the smaller cable improves the connection a little suggests to me a very weak connection.