Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is sleep a form of time-travel?

taniwha

Now that I think about it, time really seems to speed by at an unmeasured rate when I sleep.

AWAKE time seems noticeably longer when given the same dosage of ASLEEP time...to me what seems like no time at all, on waking may have passed by as hours on the clock!

How can this be explained? Can this even be explained? Time compression? Time lapse? Time travel?

Do the laws of space/time apply differently just because I sleep? Of course, they apply correctly regardless of how strange my thoughts seem! :blush: !

Oddly enough I think that within the timeless dimension of sleep, that perhaps past, present andfuture exist simultaneously and is then sensed as dreams... dreamtime....if you will...

Of course I have no proof :su lol , if it were possible... what are your thoughts...or experiences?

• Like 3

Time seems to pass faster when your asleep because your brain is technically in a state of rest, time passes just the same though

I dont know... my dreams, I've had some which seemed to be from the past, like in one arab place, but at least parts of our dreams are made from what we see wake in the time we live in now, unless we live deja vus.

• Like 1

Given that ultimately, our experience of "life" is only our own, perhaps it is true that for us, when we sleep, time does what it needs to do perceptually to catch us up to where we need to be upon waking. But, this is philosophical.

Scientifically speaking, time is a constant that passes the same for us all ... which is not nearly as fun to contemplate.

(I still think all of you are just in MY dream) :yes:

Now that I think about it, time really seems to speed by at an unmeasured rate when I sleep.

AWAKE time seems noticeably longer when given the same dosage of ASLEEP time...to me what seems like no time at all, on waking may have passed by as hours on the clock!

How can this be explained? Can this even be explained? Time compression? Time lapse? Time travel?

Do the laws of space/time apply differently just because I sleep? Of course, they apply correctly regardless of how strange my thoughts seem! :blush: !

Oddly enough I think that within the timeless dimension of sleep, that perhaps past, present andfuture exist simultaneously and is then sensed as dreams... dreamtime....if you will...

Of course I have no proof :su lol , if it were possible... what are your thoughts...or experiences?

The illusion is not of time travel, it is if time itself. There is no time. It's just a word we use to articulate our recognition of change.

• Like 2

I don't think time is speeding up while we asleep cause sleep time differs around the globe, the worlds time zone.Dreams are not forms of time travel it is just conscious and sub conscious mixing up. What we call "TIME" is based on Earths rotation and revolution and therefor if the a day becomes less than 24 hours then "TIME" is speeding up. :unsure2::innocent:

It is related to your attending to the passage of time (while you are concious) and the inability to attend to the passage of time (while you are unconscious). I can forward you some research articles on time perception if you are truly interested in this question.

• Like 1

It is related to your attending to the passage of time (while you are concious) and the inability to attend to the passage of time (while you are unconscious). I can forward you some research articles on time perception if you are truly interested in this question.

Interestingly, I have had 10 minute naps where i have had very involved and even multiple dreams that seemed to go on forever, yet I wake up and it all happened in my head in a teeny weeny space of 10 minutes or less. I've also had what seemed upon waking dreamless sleeps that seemed to last 10 minutes, yet more than 8 hours had passed.

Time perception is fascinating just on those anecdotes alone.

• Like 5

Your mind goes through different states, and dreams are made from only a few seconds worth of thought, which are broken up by long periods of nothingness. I think. Someone might need to explain that better. lol

I dont know... my dreams, I've had some which seemed to be from the past, like in one arab place, but at least parts of our dreams are made from what we see wake in the time we live in now, unless we live deja vus.

This is an interesting question about de ja vous experiences. Ive heard it before. (lol)

• Like 1

Nope. It's your body recharging it's batteries.

Yes,Good observation. Time-travel would require an energy source.

Do you have an explanation for the time-travel aspect some people experience during dreaming? Yes that would be good MG :tu: !

The illusion is not of time travel, it is if time itself. There is no time. It's just a word we use to articulate our recognition of change.

Though I dont disagree does this help explain why future events may be forseen by people in dreams?

Edited by taniwha

It's just your perception of time. When you're anesthetized for surgery you're effectively asleep, and it only seem to be mere moments that have passed when you've woken up while the surgeons have been working away on you for an hour or so.

Yes,Good observation. Time-travel would require an energy source.

Do you have an explanation for the time-travel aspect some people experience during dreaming? Yes that would be good MG :tu: !

Though I dont disagree does this help explain why future events may be forseen by people in dreams?

The future is an in uncollapsed function of the present and the past. It only exists in probabilities. Particle physics teaches us this. The present affects the future and the future affects the present. Seperation is an illusion. I believe that precognitive visions are possible precisely because time does not exist therefore there is really no barrier.

• Like 2

eternity > time > event/ energy are of a common thing or nature , the sleeping mind has no meter of repeating event , no common standard of repeating moment , so all events are the meter of repeating... that is to say....

the sun set is the standard of week days , and calindar days.... that you write Friday at the coffee shop on to.

the coffee is orderly , writen on to the day , and the days repeat with each sun set ...

remove the sun set , and Friday is non-sense , going to the coffee , ordering , watching it being made ,and the taste each ... have the power and substance of a day .... and time to your mind is elastic and compressable...

to slow time down , empty it of anything that can be aware of change or patterns of repeated event.

to speed time up , fill it with change and random events in a tightly structured meter or schedule of repeater.

dialation of time is energy nature ... or the change dimension .

i should point out that dream state is not restful nor random ... and lacks the order of time exclusive , or space exclusive ... or time /space . dreams are not a machine function that relates to a computer drive or a assembly language baced logic system of single point of focus on a stack of commands ... the human mind is a fishing net , where each knot is a judgement site , for a letter that requires a delivery to a receiver from a sender ...

these two structures are fundimentaly diffrent in nature , process and operation

as for time travel . your now moment is effective and effected... you can drink the coffee... and taste the coffee...

in the past moment , you get the coffee , but you can not taste it... your not effected by it , but can effect it .

in the future moment , you remember it , and its taste lingers .... your effected by it , but can't effect (change ) it .

your interface of the event horizon time/space is the now , time / now and now / space ... past being space memory , and future cause/effect scheduling...

humans are unique in all , by being keenly aware of now moment .

Time seems to pass faster when your asleep because your brain is technically in a state of rest, time passes just the same though

dude I love the Skeletor avatar

To sleep, perchance to dream...don't think time passes any differently than when we're awake. We just aren't aware of it. Like someone said, it's like going under the knife. I've woken from surgery a number times telling the surgeon he/she'd better get started, and they're finished. As for dreams, goodness knows they don't obey any time constrictions that we're used to when awake. I've had dreams that seemed to last forever and have awakened to find that only ten minutes has passed, and vice versa.

• Like 1

Kia ora, Taniwha.

The word 'time' is used to describe multiple things, all associated but not quite the same. The time you are referring to is our subjective perception of a rate of change. Because this is subjective, and requires our perception to observe, then obviously when we cannot perceive it, it appears to not exist.

This is, however, only an illusion of perception as an observer who was capable of perception for the duration when you were not (i.e. they were awake), could inform you that time actually did occur while you were in that non-perceptive state.

Edited by Leonardo
  • Like 1

Kia ora, Taniwha.

The word 'time' is used to describe multiple things, all associated but not quite the same. The time you are referring to is our subjective perception of a rate of change. Because this is subjective, and requires our perception to observe, then obviously when we cannot perceive it, it appears to not exist.

This is, however, only an illusion of perception as an observer who was capable of perception for the duration when you were not (i.e. they were awake), could inform you that time actually did occur while you were in that non-perceptive state.

Thanks Leo,

I dream therefore I am ... lol ... Thereby I can sense a measure of time pass by.

Some dreams I percieve in an instant with complete memories and feelings ... A lifetimes worth!

Sometimes dreams seem less complex and gradually evolve but seem to last a lot longer.

Compression and expansion of time being a common theme ... warping ! ! :blush: ?

The irony being that sleep maybe opens the 'Stargate' to time-travel which until now we have only dreamed of ! :unsure2: lol

Nope. It's your body recharging it's batteries.

if that were the case we'd bounce out of bed every morning.. not crawl..

• Like 2

Thanks Leo,

I dream therefore I am ... lol ... Thereby I can sense a measure of time pass by.

Some dreams I percieve in an instant with complete memories and feelings ... A lifetimes worth!

Sometimes dreams seem less complex and gradually evolve but seem to last a lot longer.

Compression and expansion of time being a common theme ... warping ! ! :blush: ?

The irony being that sleep maybe opens the 'Stargate' to time-travel which until now we have only dreamed of ! :unsure2: lol

Dreaming is an altered state of consciousness, and so whatever we appear to perceive in that state, should not be directly compared to how we perceive in another (the awake) state.

This only means that our perceptions are skewed, not that reality actually changes in any way (i.e. through time speeding up or slowing down.)

But it's a nice idea you have, if a bit fanciful. :tu:

• Like 1

Dreaming is an altered state of consciousness, and so whatever we appear to perceive in that state, should not be directly compared to how we perceive in another (the awake) state.

This only means that our perceptions are skewed, not that reality actually changes in any way (i.e. through time speeding up or slowing down.)

But it's a nice idea you have, if a bit fanciful. :tu:

Maybe you are right. Mathematics has no solution to a problem that does not exist.

But how odd it is that people do experience future events when dreaming. For all I know perhaps dreamspace behaves just as strangely as dreamtime.

Maybe you are right. Mathematics has no solution to a problem that does not exist.

But how odd it is that people do experience future events when dreaming. For all I know perhaps dreamspace behaves just as strangely as dreamtime.

Ah, prophecy!

That's a whole different kettle of fish. I would not necessarily twin prophecy with time-travel as linked topics, and perhaps it is worth exploring the differences (or similarities) between the two to uncover why?