Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Llion's bark exposes fraud at Chinese zoo

Still Waters

An animal described as an African lion at a Chinese zoo was exposed as a fraud - when the creature started barking in front of visitors.

Chinese media reports said the zoo had replaced its genuine lion with a Tibetan mastiff dog.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...-china-23714896

• Like 3

I once went to a low budget zoo that only had one animal in it, and that was a dog!!!...it was a shih tzu! :lol: (That joke works better verbally :P )

• Like 3

The real sad part about this story is the old style enclosure they are keeping it in. :td::no::cry:

• Like 7

The said part of the story is that no one knew better until it barked. Just goes to show how easy it is to fool the masses.

• Like 5

A lyin' lion! I like it. :)

Gotta agree with AiD though. How come no-one noticed until the barking?

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 2

What's next? Take a white horse and call it the world's first stripeless Zebra?

• Like 4

Obviously some people there know absolutely NOTHING about animals in order for them to be fooled by an obvious dog.

I mean, just watching it for a bit would indicate that it is not a wild animal.

Still..cute dog.

The Chinese are normally very intelligent people. I don't believe anyone was fooled into thinking a dog was a cat, even if it was fluffy.

Tibetan Mastiff Dog, still better than the goats and mules in my small town zoo.

You think that's bad, 20 years ago we had a Chinese restaurant in our town where chicken was exposed as cat. Yuck. Thankfully, it's out of business.

• Like 1

but more importantly, how'd it taste?

I was going to say something that could have gotten me in trouble! So use your imagination! Let's just say it was the cat's meow, lol.

I was going to say something that could have gotten me in trouble! So use your imagination! Let's just say it was the cat's meow, lol.

I bet it tasted purrrfectly ok.

Darned, I thought you were gonna say it tasted like chicken. :whistle:

(I like kitties though so please, no one take this as me condoning the cat incident, ok?)

Edited by Ryu

You think that's bad, 20 years ago we had a Chinese restaurant in our town where chicken was exposed as cat. Yuck. Thankfully, it's out of business.

Not saying it didn't happen, but that's the urban legend about all chinese food places. And it didn't happen.

Let me guess, the lion that was apparently away breeding, never existed in the first place? Or else why put this dog there at all, why not have a sign saying the lion was in a breeding program.

By the look of that enclosure, I'm glad there was no lion, and poor dog too.

@Sundew, yuck, there was a place in my city that was busted doing the same thing, people were surprised that all the stray cats had been disappearing from the area.. eew.