Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Universe may not be expanding after all

seeder

It all started with a bang, but the universe may not be expanding after all

A theoretical physicist looks set to disrupt textbook concepts of cosmology, after producing a paper outlining his theory that the universe is not expanding after all.

The most widely accepted theory of the universe centres on the notion that the world started with a big bang, and has been expanding ever since.

But Christof Wetterich, a theoretical physicist at the university of Heidelberg, has produced a paper theorising that the universe is not expanding, but the mass of all of its particles are instead increasing.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/it-all-started-with-a-bang-but-the-universe-may-not-be-expanding-after-all-8759893.html

• Like 1

If all matter is increasing in mass at the same rate, then, as the article mentions, the idea is not testable. It ought to be testable, though, from some other consideration. If not, it will soon be forgotten.

I don't mean to be disrespectful, but this reminded me of a cartoon I once saw where a scientist in a white lab coat was explaining to another that he was working on a theory that tornados were caused by house trailers.

Edited by Thunder Walk
  • Like 3

Posted Today, 05:12 PM

The universe cant possibly be expanding... If it was then why is it that after all this time everything is exactly where it was the night before.

If expansion was occuring at the speed of light then all matter must be increasing in size at a proportional rate or it would disappear over the universal horizon and out of sight by tomorrow.

• Like 2

_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+ < matter, held together by local forces. The white area in this box is space... ADD more space.. what happened to the matter ?

Nothing noticeable?

Edited by lightly

The universe cant possibly be expanding... If it was then why is it that after all this time everything is exactly where it was the night before.

If expansion was occuring at the speed of light then all matter must be increasing in size at a proportional rate or it would disappear over the universal horizon and out of sight by tomorrow.

come to think of this...maybe it is just the edge of the universe was really expanding and everything remains intact.

perhaps when his paper finally undergoes peer review instead of being published in a comic (even I can do that!), he'll be able to explain to the foreheads his mechanism by which all the mass of the universe is getting more massive, and why the gravitational constant has remained the same, instead of the effect of gravity increasing with the extra mass, as I for one would be interested to hear it.....

• Like 2

QUOTE-

We discuss a cosmological

model where the universe

shrinks rather than expands during the radiation and matter dominated periods.

Instead, the Planck mass and all particle masses grow exponentially, with the size of atoms shrinking

correspondingly.

seems to me like he's trying the ''little things close up look the same as big things far away'' trick, which is exactly that, a trick- a way of fudging the numbers to make something look the way you want it to look- and not something with any particular bearing on reality.

I can see my reflection in a mirror, but I doubt I could convince it to go to work and do my job for me.....

;-)

• Like 3

I would strongly suggest reading "The Final Theory". It is simple . yet elegant

It will be interesting to see how it pans out with review.

Gravity overcomes the expansion of the universe out beyond the local cluster of galaxies, so everything anywhere nearby is not expanding away from us but stays in normal orbit. The expansion is seen only with objects so far away that gravity (whose force decreases with the square of the distance) is too weak to overcome the expansion.

if the big bang is infinite energy with only a tiny bit of location ( singularity )....

if the last black hole is a gravity well so deep that everything every where falls into it .

then you have a conversion of big-bang/ energy .... into .... gravity well / mass ...

frankly , i only agree with a tiny bit of what is said... but energy is being changed into location .

if the big bang is infinite energy with only a tiny bit of location ( singularity )....

if the last black hole is a gravity well so deep that everything every where falls into it .

then you have a conversion of big-bang/ energy .... into .... gravity well / mass ...

frankly , i only agree with a tiny bit of what is said... but energy is being changed into location .

I'm not sure I understand you, nor even if you understand what you seem to be saying. I think maybe we are in a black hole, although a damn big one with an event horizon expanding way out beyond where we might detect it.

It is said that if the universe started as a singularity, that this singularity would have infinite density, not infinite mass.

As Uncle Albert used to say, "Everything is relative."

Edited by Thunder Walk

If the universe i not expanding how do we account for red shifting of light from distant galaxies? Hubble's law says the rate of expansion increases with distance from us. All are not expanding at light speed. In fact nothing observable is expanding at light speed but that and faster than light expansion is predicted by Hubble's law

If the universe i not expanding how do we account for red shifting of light from distant galaxies? Hubble's law says the rate of expansion increases with distance from us. All are not expanding at light speed. In fact nothing observable is expanding at light speed but that and faster than light expansion is predicted by Hubble's law

I think Thunderwalk has answered your question ...

As Uncle Albert used to say, "Everything is relative."

The red shift may have many explanations. Just one that springs to mind is this...

... Red light = Expansion .... lol... Fossil record = Dinosaurs... :no:

IMO observable memories do not add up to present reality......

Expansion if it even happened has already been exhausted, once upon a time :whistle: lol

That the big bang happened 13.7 odd billion years ago is one of the best established facts of cosmology. Do some research in genuinely scientific places. This topic is based on a theory that hasn't even been peer reviewed.

I think Thunderwalk has answered your question ...

The red shift may have many explanations. Just one that springs to mind is this...

... Red light = Expansion .... lol... Fossil record = Dinosaurs... :no:

IMO observable memories do not add up to present reality......

Expansion if it even happened has already been exhausted, once upon a time :whistle: lol

Red shift = expansion...Fossil record = dinosaurs yes I see you have the idea exactly.Kudos
  • Like 1