Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Area 51 officially acknowledged by CIA

cgowens

Wait, if CNN is reporting that it's real then surely it isn't. I'm expecting a retraction and half-hearted apology any moment.

• Like 3

It's on google maps, of course it's real.

Seriously though, they've never said Area 51 is not real. It's always existed as an airbase for experimental aircraft. That's what it is. The correct name is Groom lake or Nevada testing range.

Edited by krypter3
  • Like 4

They said even more information could come out in the future. So I'm taking it that this still isn't the whole truth.

• Like 2

Oh, so we can expect info on the Roswell incident 20 years after some guy finds the weather balloon in a garage somewhere!

• Like 1

in requested documents about the cold-war-era U2 spy plane, George Washington University finds newly redacted mentions of the facility's existence.

Dunno if this is any real news, but hey.....

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_AREA_51_ACKNOWLEDGED?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

• Like 1

I've always understood it to be a testing facility for prototype aircraft

Really? Employing that many people? Over such a massively huge site? When was the last 'prototype' released? What have they been doing ever since?

I think this supposition is highly moot.

• Like 1

Really? Employing that many people? Over such a massively huge site? When was the last 'prototype' released? What have they been doing ever since?

What do you expect? Two engineers in 3x6 m garage?

You continue to amaze me...

• Like 3

What do you expect? Two engineers in 3x6 m garage?

You continue to amaze me...

What?

As with many other things, your knowledge of aircraft engineering is shown to be staggeringly minimal.

• Like 2

the x-47

Area 51 was the biggest worst-kept secret ever. I love that the govt finally acknowledges the existence of something the general public has known about for years.

• Like 4

So, who around here thought it didn't exist, but now does because our good ol' government now disclosed its existence?

• Like 3

I agree with those that feel the government hasn't openly acknowledged the facility there for legal reasons in the last few decades. Of course everyone knows it's there but to recognize it as an official site brings oversite such as EPA and other agencies into play. I'm guessing (reasonably sure with no proof) that there is some environmentally nasty stuff hanging about for starters. It also brings into play the workers lawsuits that have been squished in the interest of National Security.

All this is speculation of course but it seems more logical that there are now better legal reasons to admit it exists than not. .02

• Like 1

What? They have been trying to convince us for decades that it does not exist? So what else exists that they also denied? And they wonder why no one trusts the government?

Edited by minera
  • Like 3

CIA should stand for Central Idiots Agency.

• Like 2

We have already been waiting for more than twenty years to hear the governments recommended protocols for visiting extraterrestrials and space aliens when we finally meet them. I know that I am NOT waiting for nothing. How about you, fellow Americans ?

Crazy. Just crazy. Who knew? Just today, I also found out from my parents that Santa wasn't real. God, the world is full of such mysteries... I'm gonna go pray to the only thing I know is real... Jesus... NOT!!!

• Like 1

I've spoke about this before years ago, but likely worth mentioning again.

To be fair, I can not offer authentication, as it was "he said-he said"

Anyway, here goes...

I have a friend who is a former NAVY Seal. He has a friend in California that, according to him, was part of a secret military project(as an engineer) who was part of a construction team within the mountain around Area 51 many years ago.

The project was nothing as esoteric as UFO bases, rather more mundane.

They, supposedly, constructed about a dozen secret jet fighter launch bunkers within the sides of the surrounding mountains. Even the main launch door of each site is adhesive-coated with rock and dirt, so as to hide their existance. The bunkers are huge and long, containing both a runway and a 24/7 pilot and support team "housing" unit at each bunker. When activated, the secret door would hydraulically open(pivot down) and the jet fighter would launch.

To my friends knowledge, they were never activated(other than for testing, of course)

The purpose of all this was to quickly and secretly launch fighter jets to intercept aircraft that was geting too close to the then highly secret prototype test facility, if the aircraft/ground forces got past the even further away initial standard perimeter defense.

Anyway, I have no idea how much(if any) of this is true. Just what I was told by a trusted friend.

• Like 3

What? They have been trying to convince us for decades that it does not exist? So what else exists that they also denied? And they wonder why no one trusts the government?

Not exactly - it never really was that secret and all of the stuff that has come out this week was declassified more than 20 years ago.

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4313

Area 51 Facts and Fiction

Some say alien spacecraft are tested at Nevada's legendary Area 51 site; what does history have to say?