Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dwarf Galaxy Rams Into a Large Spiral Galaxy

Waspie_Dwarf

Dwarf Galaxy Caught Ramming Into a Large Spiral Galaxy

Observations with NASA’s Chandra X-ray Observatory have revealed a massive cloud of multimillion-degree gas in a galaxy about 60 million light years from Earth. The hot gas cloud is likely caused by a collision between a dwarf galaxy and a much larger galaxy called NGC 1232. If confirmed, this discovery would mark the first time such a collision has been detected only in X-rays, and could have implications for understanding how galaxies grow through similar collisions.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Waspie_Dwarf

• Space Commander Travis

• brlesq1

• Taun

Top Posters In This Topic

Multi-Million degree gas?... Wow! Doesn't bode well for any planets that might have been in the area!

Your new avatar throws me a bit waspie - I saw it and thought "Oh! A new mod!"... :)

Oh dear, i hope no one was hurt. :(

Multi-Million degree gas?... Wow! Doesn't bode well for any planets that might have been in the area!

It is important to distinguish between temperature and heat energy, they are not the same thing. As an example imagine a candle and a radiator in the same room. The candle flame is at a much higher temperature than the radiator but will never make the room warm as it does not give out enough heat.

The gas may be at millions of degrees, but if (as gas in space often is) it is extremely tenuous then it may not radiate enough heat energy to do much damage.

Your new avatar throws me a bit waspie - I saw it and thought "Oh! A new mod!"... :)

You are not the first to comment on this. I'm in disguise ;)

Actually it is my original avatar and the one I use everywhere else, so I decided to go back to it here too.

I would like some of that gas to heat my house this coming winter.