Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Your Birth Order Can Influence Who You Are

Still Waters

As many parents can attest, siblings tend to be more different than alike. Some of this may be the result of our birth order, and how we’re subsequently raised. What’s more, birth order may influence our health and sexuality too. Here’s what you need to know about how your birth rank affects your life.

Birth order is an incredibly difficult area to study, and as such, is considered highly controversial.

http://io9.com/how-y...-are-1136567036

• Like 1

Brace yourself for a veritable avalanche of UMmers who feel they suffered because of their place in their family! :lol:

All the ancient hurt and sheer unfairness of it is about to be vomited onto the page!

( I'm going to spare you my personal trauma of being the second of two) :cry:

I think it's a bunch of hokum, but then I'm the youngest of four. One brother and sister were born very close together. Does that make them both the middle child?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I think it has more to do with how one is raised than any particular birth order. Reading the article, I thought about my own family (I, too, am the youngest of four) and it was quickly apparent that almost all of the traits described were completely wrong.

• Like 1

I think it depends on " what do you want to blame" on others . We are what we are ? O_o

I think it has more to do with how one is raised than any particular birth order. Reading the article, I thought about my own family (I, too, am the youngest of four) and it was quickly apparent that almost all of the traits described were completely wrong.

I agree. I am the youngest of three girls (the other two both being first born as they were twins although once was first by 6 minutes.....) and looking at some traits I did see some that fitted me but then there were traits in the first and only child section that fitted me too. How kids are raised has far more impact than their birth order.

Although a quick edit to add...... how parents raise subsequent children after number one does generally change for most parents. I am much more laid back and relaxed with my second child than I was with my first, however had much more free time to spend one on one time with number one before number two child came along. So maybe its more the relationship between the parent and child that changes with more than one child, rather than the order the child is born?

Edited by Moon Gazer

This is very true. There are studies that show that subsequent male children in a family from the same mother have a higher chance of being homosexual than earlier born brothers. I don't know if this is a sensitive subject on UM or not, homosexuality I mean, but I would hope not seeing as it's 2013 and we don't live in dark caves with our fingers in our ears lol. If the mother is RH negative, meaning that she doesn't have the RH factor in her blood and she has already given birth to a son who is RH+, an immune response occurs and the mother's body reacts to to susequent male fetuses by attempting to "feminize" them. This is one theory on homosexuality that has scientific evidence to back it up.

When I read the title of this thread it immediately made me think of homosexuality because I found it fascinating when I first learned that birth order among males effects sexual preference. I wonder if any reserach has been done on this concerning women. :huh:

I think it's a bunch of hokum, but then I'm the youngest of four. One brother and sister were born very close together. Does that make them both the middle child?

It is a bunch of hokum Im a first born and none of the things they said for first borns applies to me, My little brother is shy and none of the things they said apply to him either