Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Multigeneration ship

Big Bad Voodoo

Hi Umers!

Lets say that humanity decide to built a huge ship. That we have volunteers who will travel to another habitable planet on that ship. With bunch of scientists and whole human knowledge. To overcome great time and space distances that ship must be multi genereation ship. Meaning, we will have to reproduce on that ship and raise our children. Now lets try to be creative and make this work in theory atleast.

Or we are bound to Earth forever?

1. Where we might go? Whats might be our best direction and why? Is there any group of habitable planets where we might go one day?

If so how many generation must be raised on our ship? Should we sent more ships to increase our chances?

2. Lets say that there is none of these planets and we decide to wander trough cosmos in search for habitable planet. Is there any chance that we might alter climate on some unhabitable planet? Can we create ozone to protect us from ultraviolet rays ? Maybe with some geneticaly modifed plants? Plants that reproduce fast and that way released oxygen so that we can breathe?

3. Lets say that on second answer is negative and we wonder cosmos for a time. What would passangers eat? What would be best way to provide a food for our wanderers? Hydroponics agriculture? Pool with fishes? Chickens and cows? What will be best self sufficent way for food?

How we will collect water? From comets?

4. On what renewable power will that ship travel? Solar power? Or Nuclear power? Would we be able to repair our ship if something goes wrong?

5. What would be social and political order on ship? Democracy? Communism? Maybe better so that way to avoid envy, jelaousy and riots. What will be law on that ship? Would humans reproduce artifically? Should we leave religions on Earth and carry on only science books?

What do you think is there any chance to test this by some social experiment?

6. Lets say humans on that ship found new Earth. How many time we will need to raised civilization on new Earth? Someone will have to dig in mines? Will that cause social divides? Riots? Wars? What if we met on our new planet ETs in stone age? Should we enslaved them ?

Whats your opinon? Would you go on that ship? Is this doable?

What we should carry from Earth? Animals like in Noah Arks?

Thanks.

Edited by the L
  • Like 1

As for food, anyways, hydroponics along with masses of stored vitamins (or a lab to create said vitamins) would be the best bet :)

Livestock (except maybe fish and chickens/ducks) are just not worth the effort to raise...

Eitherway, cool topic I have thought about before...

Edited by Bavarian Raven
  • Like 1

Are we bound to Earth forever?

I wasn't sure in what format my post should be? Story form? An outline with bullet points? Question to answer point by point?

Anyway, I thought about the OP long and hard and all I could come up with was:

What if we are supposed to be?

All the questions that were provided just seem impossible; given that the current desire for creating such a huge ship is lacking at present and I reckon that if there was ever a time to do such a thing, I would be already long gone.

Kind Regards

Are we bound to Earth forever?

I wasn't sure in what format my post should be? Story form? An outline with bullet points? Question to answer point by point?

Anyway, I thought about the OP long and hard and all I could come up with was:

What if we are supposed to be?

All the questions that were provided just seem impossible; given that the current desire for creating such a huge ship is lacking at present and I reckon that if there was ever a time to do such a thing, I would be already long gone.

Kind Regards

I dont follow bolded.

I said that we as humanity decided to create one ship-meaning we have desire.

And I think its possible.

As for food, anyways, hydroponics along with masses of stored vitamins (or a lab to create said vitamins) would be the best bet :)

Livestock (except maybe fish and chickens/ducks) are just not worth the effort to raise...

Eitherway, cool topic I have thought about before...

Thanks. We can create vitamins in lab? If so then lab for vitamins should indeed be on it.

Edited by Melo

Thanks. We can create vitamins in lab? If so then lab for vitamins should indeed be on it.

I believe we can given the right raw materials - it should be basic chemistry to do so. :)

Well for one thing........

You would probably need more than one ship to start, because the thing with multigenerational ships is the generations that come after the first generation. The second generation may double in numbers and the third will definitely do it if not the second. Thus you would have to have a space migrant fleet, not just one ship. So you would have to start out with several less occupied (skeleton crewed) ships in the beginning.

Well for one thing........

You would probably need more than one ship to start, because the thing with multigenerational ships is the generations that come after the first generation. The second generation may double in numbers and the third will definitely do it if not the second. Thus you would have to have a space migrant fleet, not just one ship. So you would have to start out with several less occupied (skeleton crewed) ships in the beginning.

I dont think so. Lets say we have laws and prohibitive quota we can always keep same number. Lets say that for making unwanted baby one of parrents must leave ship.

I assumed that all who were on that ship were carefully selected and educated and that their children would be similar. Education and protection at first. And law in the end.

Edited by Melo

If parents had to leave the ship, where would they go? Are you talking about spacing them? As for meat. I suppose it can be created in a lab, too.

If parents had to leave the ship, where would they go? Are you talking about spacing them? As for meat. I suppose it can be created in a lab, too.

Into death. Rather individual then group. Those are not normal situations. Its special task. And we should act like in a time of war, imho.

Yes we would violate human rights especially of new born children on that ship. They didnt sign anything yet they were bound to ship and special laws. Id say they are colletaral vicitims.

In the end who asked me where do I want to live? Who ask me do I like borders? Life is detrministic in some extend.

Edited by Melo

I dont think so. Lets say we have laws and prohibitive quota we can always keep same number. Lets say that for making unwanted baby one of parrents must leave ship.

I assumed that all who were on that ship were carefully selected and educated and that their children would be similar. Education and protection at first. And law in the end.

Lack of foresight and illogical!

Unless everything in your one ship is going to always be perfect, such as no diseases and no sickness that could wipe out almost all of the ship's inhabitants. And that your one ship or parts of it doesn't ever break down, in the middle of the cold vacuum of space. Or worse, it loses all functions at some point, which is needed to survive and kills everyone aboard that one perfect ship. Some things like oxygen is crucial in space, you know. Even if you have the extra parts stored away to fix things, some things can not just be simply fixed or certain mechanical parts of immense size stored away on a ship.

No...I don't think so. Only in a perfect universe. A perfect universe, I say, because crap happens! And when you least expect it to.

That's about as bad as a group of people going deep out into the sahara desert with only one vehicle, without a backup vehicle.

You must think ahead or be prepared to pay the price. Human history is full of those lessons.

Edited by Purifier
  • Like 1

Hi Umers!

Lets say that humanity decide to built a huge ship. That we have volunteers who will travel to another habitable planet on that ship. With bunch of scientists and whole human knowledge. To overcome great time and space distances that ship must be multi genereation ship. Meaning, we will have to reproduce on that ship and raise our children. Now lets try to be creative and make this work in theory atleast.

Or we are bound to Earth forever?

1. Where we might go? Whats might be our best direction and why? Is there any group of habitable planets where we might go one day?

If so how many generation must be raised on our ship? Should we sent more ships to increase our chances?

2. Lets say that there is none of these planets and we decide to wander trough cosmos in search for habitable planet. Is there any chance that we might alter climate on some unhabitable planet? Can we create ozone to protect us from ultraviolet rays ? Maybe with some geneticaly modifed plants? Plants that reproduce fast and that way released oxygen so that we can breathe?

3. Lets say that on second answer is negative and we wonder cosmos for a time. What would passangers eat? What would be best way to provide a food for our wanderers? Hydroponics agriculture? Pool with fishes? Chickens and cows? What will be best self sufficent way for food?

How we will collect water? From comets?

4. On what renewable power will that ship travel? Solar power? Or Nuclear power? Would we be able to repair our ship if something goes wrong?

5. What would be social and political order on ship? Democracy? Communism? Maybe better so that way to avoid envy, jelaousy and riots. What will be law on that ship? Would humans reproduce artifically? Should we leave religions on Earth and carry on only science books?

What do you think is there any chance to test this by some social experiment?

6. Lets say humans on that ship found new Earth. How many time we will need to raised civilization on new Earth? Someone will have to dig in mines? Will that cause social divides? Riots? Wars? What if we met on our new planet ETs in stone age? Should we enslaved them ?

Whats your opinon? Would you go on that ship? Is this doable?

What we should carry from Earth? Animals like in Noah Arks?

Thanks.

where did you get your idea...from wall-e?

Anyway I have been thinking this also but personally i think those who will become the wanderers are bunch of idiots,they will decide to leave our planet because they failed to took care of our environment. There's nothing wrong if mankind wants to explore the universe searching other habitable planets but if they cant manage to take care the new planet, they will find another...a never ending search... :innocent:

If parents had to leave the ship, where would they go? Are you talking about spacing them? As for meat.

That's where the parents would go. The meat.

:devil: