Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Heat Waves Now Inevitable! Hot Century Ahead:

seeder

OK I saw a story on this and didnt think too much, then I saw another similar one and began to pay a little more attention. Most of Europe has had a record heatwave, specially the UK, but what if it continues? These 2 stories try address that:

Hot Century Ahead: Study Finds Onslaught of Heat Waves Now Inevitable

Report comes as North Asia temperature spike kills dozens in the midst of a blistering summer

A new study dishes out some very bad news about the global warming crisis.

It is too late to stop a "several folds" increase of deadly heat waves caused by greenhouse gases—and the floods, fires, and storms they bring.

The report comes as a record heat wave hits North Asia, killing dozens and sickening far more, flooding hospitals with heatstroke victims amid power shortages that are cutting off air conditioning in some areas.

http://www.commondreams.org/headline/2013/08/15-2

Stand by for extreme weather. Prepare for heat waves on a scale that was once unprecedented. For once, there is no “if” in the forecast. Even if governments abandon fossil fuels everywhere, immediately and invest only in green energy, there will be new record temperatures.

The greenhouse gas emissions of the last few decades now mean that regions of the planet subjected to extreme heat will double by 2020 and quadruple by 2040

http://www.eco-business.com/news/more-heatwaves-2020-are-now-certain/

• Like 1

But of course, there's no such thing as global warming.

• Like 2

well Ive just watched this vid (news story clips) about the current, 2013 heatwaves, Australia has really suffered and I wasn't quite aware how much so... so I guess all the Brits who moved there for the sunshine life... might be having second thoughts about that now

[media=]

[/media]

if you watch it all, it will have a few quotes to biblical prophecies at the end, sorry about that, but the content is good though - and I do not endorse or intend to promote...any prophesies

Edited by seeder
  • Like 1

I have no idea what you mean about heatwaves.

It's a chilly 29 degree Celsius winter here.

• Like 3

30 plus C here and I hate it lol

There is no doubt in my mind there is a change in the weather. More snow more rain more hail and more tornados plus an increase in temp.

• Like 2

Hell, It's mid winter here in NZ, and 20 degrees C..

• Like 1

This has been the coolest Summer in my memory along the Gulf Coast. Huge amounts of rain and about 6 degrees below normal. I hope the Winter isn't warm :(

• Like 3

good news if you're fed up with living on a damp, soggy little island and fancy living on a sun-blasted east atlantic rock instead!

shorts & t-shirts beats wellies & greatcoats every time methinks.

although, on the downside, it may lead to an increase of the french.....

:-o

• Like 3

We had snow in our state this winter. Something pretty rare. Coldest winter in X amount of years. Seems to be going the opposite way for us haha.

Until summer comes... Probably end up being the hottest summer on record.

• Like 1

Melbourne has had the coldest winter in years, I am sick of the cold - and the wind, this year.

• Like 1

the UK has again broken heatwave records, well its own that is. I used to be a sun lover, now Im older, I cant stand the evening sticky humidity. OK we dont have it for long, a week or 2 of real hot and then the storms which always seem to follow heatwaves in the UK. Then they make floods as the ground is too hard to soak up the rains

Ive noted a defo change in weather patterns here. So have the crops and spring flowers that get fooled into blooming early, only for winter conditions to return for a week or so, very odd. Rain and cold I can deal with, thats part of being English!! :lol:

• Like 4

This summer here has been much cooler and wetter than normal. Last year at this time we were suffering from excessive heat and no rain. People in Europe and Asian seem to be getting the heat this year. Next year I guess it will be our turn again. This is global warming at its best.

• Like 2

that means plenty of snow and drizzle, then, knowing the accuracy of long range forecasts.

God, who were those stories written by? Do they want to be taken seriously? Surely they must know that such over the top rhetoric as that won't persuade many people to take them seriously.

But then, people with drums to bang such as they clearly have rarely do seem to have much self awareness, do they.

Our weather has been a little off, too. It's August, which usually means 90F temperatures, but right now it feels more like September, with its 75F temps. I suppose it means we'll have an early and cold winter. I hope it's not too snowy, though. I don't cope with snow very well...

Rain ends and mild summer weather appears during winter. 25C degrees today and sunny. It's going to last all weekend as well, but back to rain on Monday. :(

013687-burns-beach.jpg

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-australia/sunny-winter-day-delights-perth/story-fnhocxo3-1226702820950

• Like 2

God, who were those stories written by? Do they want to be taken seriously? Surely they must know that such over the top rhetoric as that won't persuade many people to take them seriously.

But then, people with drums to bang such as they clearly have rarely do seem to have much self awareness, do they.

The original research article was typical: this is what we did; this is what we found. Nothing very rhetorical about that. But the people who MIS- interpreted the research panicked and added a whole lot of stuff that's not in the research. The research article said only that they found a better way of modelling heat waves and that SUGGESTS a warmer future in the 21st century. Nothing is written in stone.

BUT: that research lines up pretty well with a lot of other research that also suggests a warmer climate. I don't think that heat, by itself, will be the problem. Some areas will be warmer; a few will be colder. The real problem will be drought.

Doug

P.S.: A lot of folks on this thread seem to be confusing weather with climate.

Doug

Edited by Doug1029
  • Like 1

Heh, I moved from one hardiness zone to the next one warmer, so in general it feels like the climate is warmer.

Strange weather. We had 8-9 day heat waves and cooler than normal temps in between. Last October, the temps were already in the 20s (F). The year before that, we had a 3ft. blizzard on Halloween and then the winter that wasn't. It was 56F on Christmas. More hurricanes are still hurricanes when they get here in the northeast US, and strong ones, making landfall on the Jersey shore. Sandy was something I'll never forget. A lot of damage even inland here in PA. Drenching rains all this summer. Now that September is coming, I don't know what to expect. It should be in the upper 60s and 70s but nights here are in the 50s already. It's currently cooler than normal.

• Like 1