Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Who gave words and names their meaning?

soulpowertothenthdegree

Everything we are taught comes with a name...where did they come up with them? Even if you tell me that English was derived from Latin...where did Latin come from? The names of constellations...the names of colors......the names of fruit....any names....the planets....God......everything is named something, why and how?

It just blows my mind that we put so much faith in names, we hang all our hopes on names....words....even the threads we write consume us with words....stars...aliens...Sun...Moon....light...dark....who said Orion looked like a hunter? The Bible in English came from the Torah in Hebrew...who interpreted to mean anything that is thrown around as truth?

Even my name...Soul...where did this word come from? We spend so much time arguing about everything and everything has a label attached to it and every religion thinks they are the gospel......what the hell is gospel?

We go to school from the moment we are able to stand and are force fed meaningless crap that is in history books....not a stitch of proof about any of it....sure there are videos and documents that purport to show the truth....but is any of it actually true?

They claim they have been to the Moon...they claim they are on Mars...how do we believe any of it? More to the point...who really gives a crap? They told us hijackers started 9/11...hysterical...they told us Oswald killed Kennedy....what a hoot...the list of conspiracies is ridiculous......how can you believe any of it?

Words and names are used to describe every day events....we are programmed to read, believe, react, to information just because it has been spoken or written by someone who pretends to be a journalist or newscaster or teacher or judge or priest or rabbi....because they are just so smart and all are to be believed and trusted....why? They are just words...I can make up words and give them meanings too...so what....who decided that certain words have certain meanings?

If I never spoke,wrote or read a word does this mean I am stupid and incapable of understanding? When we were born we didn't know any words....no matter what country we were born in....we were taught hatred and bigotry and cheating and anger....who made these words and gave them meaning?

I get such a kick from people who quote the Bible and claim God said.........are you kidding me.......do you ever listen to yourself when you are spewing that ridiculous mumbo jumbo?

There is absolutely no truth ..... and who invented the word truth? It's all such a hypocritical version of everything we are taught....where did hypocrisy come from?

Everything is nothing and something is everything.

Soul

Words probably evolved from grunts and gestures as mankind was maturing as a species.

If not for words, and a common agreement of what they mean, you couldn't have posted your thoughts.

• Like 4

More to the point...who really gives a crap?

Well, why do you?

You obviously cared enough to write a long post about it.

I could summarize: people make everything up... nothing is real... trust no one!

I think every teen goes through this "deep" period.

• Like 5

I just wan't to go onto the record and say, that this is the WORST Conspiracy thread! Ever. :(

• Like 5

I just wan't to go onto the record and say, that this is the WORST Conspiracy thread! Ever. :(

I don't even understand why this thread is here. To me it should be moved to the new age section.

I mean geez, the entire wall of text is basically a "begging the question argument".

• Like 1

Well, why do you?

You obviously cared enough to write a long post about it.

I could summarize: people make everything up... nothing is real... trust no one!

I think every teen goes through this "deep" period.

Then they get the new X Box.

• Like 1

there is no word for ''the back of the knee'' (the only body part without a name) and there is also no word in english for ''that smell you get after it's been raining''

so there isn't a word for everything.

• Like 1

there is no word for ''the back of the knee'' (the only body part without a name)

It's called the Popliteal Fossa or knee pit.

and there is also no word in english for ''that smell you get after it's been raining''

It's called petrichor.

• Like 4

It's called the Popliteal Fossa or knee pit.

It's called petrichor.

thanks for that IN1!

I was completely unaware of both of them, and thought 'petrichor' might be a modern word, but a quick google told me it was coined in 1964!!

i'm not the type to be churlish when proved wrong, and don't mind admitting when i'm wrong either, so thanks again for the heads up, and for providing me with a new word and a new term!

:-)

• Like 1

thanks for that IN1!

I was completely unaware of both of them, and thought 'petrichor' might be a modern word, but a quick google told me it was coined in 1964!!

i'm not the type to be churlish when proved wrong, and don't mind admitting when i'm wrong either, so thanks again for the heads up, and for providing me with a new word and a new term!

Enjoy the petrichor next time around. :tu:

• Like 1

Enjoy the petrichor next time around. :tu:

I live in britain IN1- the whole country practically smells petrichorus(?) 24/7!!

which is why I was so suprised we didn't have a better discriptive term than 'that smell you get when it's been raining', and that it took a couple of aussies (bone-dry country) to invent a word us brits (damp, soggy island) should've had for millennia!

people don't give aussies enough credit for their innate ability to state the bleedin' obvious when everyone else has missed it!

• Like 1

there is no word for ''the back of the knee'' (the only body part without a name) and there is also no word in english for ''that smell you get after it's been raining''

I would've called it a "chuzwazzah"!

• Like 1

now THIS sounds like a conspiracy. Why not? WHO decided we don't need words for this? Why do they not get names???... wait, everything has names so where did their's go?... aliens took them....?

edit: I like chuzwazzah... :)

Edited by RockShaman
  • Like 1

now THIS sounds like a conspiracy. Why not? WHO decided we don't need words for this? Why do they not get names???... wait, everything has names so where did their's go?... aliens took them....?

edit: I like chuzwazzah... :)

See my post on the first page of this thread. There are words for both things the poster mentioned.

This thread is absolutely foolish and doesn't belong in this forum.

Does anyone else agree?

This thread is absolutely foolish and doesn't belong in this forum.

Does anyone else agree?

nothing wrong with a little sillyness every now & again LG, it helps make periods of sobriety seem almost bearable!

almost.

;-)

• Like 3

PS-

I like chuzwazza too- like, 'i've got a boil on me chuzwazza an' it dun'arf 'urt when I sits down' or 'i pulled my chuzwazza playing squash the other day, and my physiotherapist is gorgeus....' kinda thing.....

• Like 1

nothing wrong with a little sillyness every now & again LG, it helps make periods of sobriety seem almost bearable!

almost.

;-)

That's why I avoid sobriety. :)

But still, where is the conspiracy here?

• Like 3

That's why I avoid sobriety. :)

I avoid it like I avoid big naked men in prison showers!

But still, where is the conspiracy here?

it's gone the same way as the OP, LG.....

*Thread moved to a more appropriate forum*

• Like 1

There is absolutely no truth .....

You appear to be suffering from "rage against everything/anything" syndrome.

As for the quoted, let me throw at you "cogito, ergo sum". While this is what is known in philosophical circles as a proposition, it underlines an inescapable Truth (with a capital "T"). I exist.

Whether you exist is something I haven't quite decided yet.

• Like 1

Soul - it is good that you are asking questions, as we are admonished to "Seek, and you will find". I gather that your search is less about meanings, and more about "Meaning", as in "purpose of life". so....

I'm a Christian believer, because Christianity works in real life. The wisdom of the book of Proverbs has given me a foundation to live a sensible life.

If your purpose in starting this thread was to solicit advice and answers, I would advise you to read Proverbs and all four of the gospels, and to incorporate those teachings into your daily life.