Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hundreds flee 'cursed' army base

Saru

Up to 200 students have fled from an army base in South Africa after a recent bout of mass hysteria.

Mass hysteria among hundreds of young students participating in the National Rural Youth Service Corps (Narysec) saw them fleeing the 3SAI Army Base and seeking refuge at the Roodepan police station.

arrow3.gifRead more...

We should send mr SEEDER to solve this one !

If a kid came up to me and said the food had been poisoned I would investigate that.

This part of the article tickled me:

Only days after they arrived for their four-month character-building programme at the military base, the students swopped their beds at the “spooky military base” for the open space outside the Roodepan police station where they slept on Monday night.

I'm pretty sure we can stamp fail on the programme for that one.

• Like 1

This part of the article tickled me:

Only days after they arrived for their four-month character-building programme at the military base, the students swopped their beds at the “spooky military base” for the open space outside the Roodepan police station where they slept on Monday night.

I'm pretty sure we can stamp fail on the programme for that one.

I like this too!

• Like 1

I believe in the possibility of the paranormal, but I also believe in the power of suggestion.

• Like 3

Could of been something paranormal but it could of been one kid making a suggestion and the others believing it then imaginations going wild. Plant a seed and watch it grow.

I am south african, and would assume they were probably told there would be some work involved and fled in terror.

Wow, you know your stuff. Must be really tough for normal people to live there.

and they, incidentally, had not been paid yet........ uh huh..... case solved.

Funny this never happens in America or any other first world country.

really? Reptilians, new World Order conspiracies, every time anything at all happens someone will pop up to explain how it was the Government that did it to give an excuse to round everyone up into concentration camps or Take Away America's Guns; there doesn't seem to be any shortage of hysteria or credulousness in the "First World".

• Like 1

I just happened to watch a show about the madness at Pont-Saint Esprit yesterday, weird because it's similar in a way. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1951_Pont-Saint-Esprit_mass_poisoning)

Some kind of hallucinogen poisoning seems more likely than supernatural occurrences.

• 4 weeks later...

It could be paranormal. In the Bible, in Genesis, it said the serpent was the most crafty and cunning creature. The Bible later explain that the serpent was satan himself.

• 4 months later...

I have just come across this link regarding the incident at the Roodepan military base in Kimberley. The base is located on the farm where I was raised. As a child I experienced supernatural happenings inside the farmhouse. My father also told stories of supernatural happenings. We had a worker who said he had been chased by a 'tokoloshe' one night and said 'tokoloshe' pulled his jacket right off his body.

In 2013 my sister visited Kimberley and managed to get access to the farmhouse that is on the military base, in order to take pictures for us. When she was speaking to a colonel, to get permission to enter the base, he kept asking her 'what is the history of this house'. She replied that it was where we had grown up, who our family were etc., He simply kept repeating 'what is THE history of this house. Eventually he told her that no one wants to sleep in the house, which is now a guest house of sorts for military personnel, because they say it is haunted.

Having grown up on that farm, and having lived in that house, I believe 100% it is haunted, based solely on my own experiences. But there was nothing evil about my experiences and a snake certainly never featured in any of them.