Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Weekly rubbish collections must be scrapped

Still Waters

Traditional weekly rubbish collections must be scrapped to meet European recycling regulations, ministers have told councils.

Every home must be made to separate its rubbish into at least five bins, the Government says.

Under the new rules, more than 100 areas which still have traditional weekly bin rounds will lose them, to be replaced by fortnightly collections or similarly complicated rationing and recycling methods.

http://www.dailymail...containers.html

We already have three bins. One is collected one week and the other two the week after on two different days. Now we've been told we're being trialled for what amounts to 'slop buckets' which involves two more bins. One for inside the house and the other outside. They haven't delivered the two new bins yet - I can't wait <_< I'm all for recycling, but heck!

• Like 3

Oh go away, moronic stupid idiot politicians. Stop Governing all the time. They've only just been talking about reintroducing weekly collections after idiot councils made them fortnightly to save money.

• Like 4

They used to make us separate all our recyclables, but now we put it one bin and they sort it at the recycling center. I think they might do it for a while, but they will find people won't comply because it is too complicated.

I've lived a couple of places that had mandatory recycling. Where I live now is a little different. Our subdivision used to be a ski resort so the roads are not conducive to trash pick up or mail delivery. At the bottom of the mountain is a mail center where everyone has a box and beside that is the trash collection center. They have the general bin and then several big bins (I'm talking like 30 feet long) that are broken down to paper and cardboard, glass, aluminum and plastic.

It works.

The slop bucket thing is just nasty though...I'd be tempted to dispose of my table scraps on the council's lawn...hey....it's biodegradable and turns into fertilizer right?...doing them a favor...

Edited by Jeremiah65
  • Like 3

The slop bucket thing is just nasty though...

and pointless... just bury your compost in your garden. No mess. No boxes. Nothing. Simple and easy :) (just make sure to bury it at least 8 inches deep or the raccoons will dig it up lol)

Edited by Bavarian Raven
  • Like 1

here in west Wales, we already have this.

1) 1, food scrap bin for inside.

2) 1, larger food bin for outside which you empty the smaller food bin contents into….I use the biodegradable bags to line these bins which makes it all very easy to use and clean. It's no bother and it feels good not wasting all that food waste which is recycled into compost.

3) 1, recycling bin for all the clean recyclables.

4) 1, the bin bin, for all that can not be recycled in some way.

I like it, it feels good to do. Our rubbish is collected every two weeks. Which means less noisy traffic.

I feel there are worse things to moan about than having to be more aware of recycling and good waste management.

here in west Wales, we already have this.

1) 1, food scrap bin for inside.

2) 1, larger food bin for outside which you empty the smaller food bin contents into….I use the biodegradable bags to line these bins which makes it all very easy to use and clean. It's no bother and it feels good not wasting all that food waste which is recycled into compost.

3) 1, recycling bin for all the clean recyclables.

4) 1, the bin bin, for all that can not be recycled in some way.

I like it, it feels good to do. Our rubbish is collected every two weeks. Which means less noisy traffic.

I feel there are worse things to moan about than having to be more aware of recycling and good waste management.

Junk building up until the bins are overflowing and the seagulls feasting on it? Sacks of junk left in the street for seagulls to feast on? it's a public health hazard. Why on earth would having to put junk in one of five bins possibly make people more recycling conscious? it's absolutely no difference at all from just putting it out for the bin men in the traditional manner, is it.

No, actually it is different. The Bin men used to come round more often, so that junk didn't have so much of a chance to build up. Yes, "recycling" has really been a major step forward.

• Like 2

why are we signed up to these EU directives. the EU is directly effecting our everyday lives. from rubbish collection to postal service. and much, much more in between. im sure these get passed through the back door and no-ones reading the small print. the reality of the situation is this. the EU regulations have seen our refuse collection fee go up by 17% in the last five years. because the council have to pay a fine to the EU for using our own landfill sites, thats right. landfill sites here in the UK. - how stupid is that. paying to use our own landfill sites. its complete madness. -

when it comes to recycling im all for it. but no more do i put my recycling bin out. I use to and heres why. when we put these bins out ready for the council its like leaving a five pound note £5,00 on the kerb ready for the council to pick up. the council makes millions a year in selling the recycled material and yet they apply charges - so in affect were paying twice their making money on our good nature. not only that if the recycling lorry gets to the processing plant and there is a long queue they simply turn the bin lorries around and drive them to the normal landfill and dump the recycled material in with the rest of household waste. what a waste of time after hundreds or thousands of households have taken the time to separate the items.

if you have the time and want to earn a little bit of money to put in the old girls pinny. sort your recycling material and take it to the recycling centre yourself. they'll pay you a few bob for the material (wheelie bin size) and depending on materials - remember when your parents or grandparents use to take old glass jars / bottles back and get a penny for each one. - same thing applies today.

on this link is the current prices of recycling material just click on the type of material on the left and scroll down to see how much the market is paying for a tonne. now imagine how many tonnes the council is recycling everyday of the week. money for old rope.

http://www.letsrecycle.com/prices

• Like 2

Junk building up until the bins are overflowing and the seagulls feasting on it? Sacks of junk left in the street for seagulls to feast on? it's a public health hazard. Why on earth would having to put junk in one of five bins possibly make people more recycling conscious? it's absolutely no difference at all from just putting it out for the bin men in the traditional manner, is it.

No, actually it is different. The Bin men used to come round more often, so that junk didn't have so much of a chance to build up. Yes, "recycling" has really been a major step forward.

Here the bin men won't touch anything except the bins. All rubbish has to be inside the allotted bins. If you leave a black sack out they'll ignore it.

We used to have special collections for bulky household items, like furniture or old TV's etc., All you did was phone to arrange it and they'd tell you which day to put it out by the kerbside. This service used to be free of charge but now you have to pay 'per item'.

I remember when I was still living at home, we used to have the good old fashioned dustbins, there were no recycling bins then. The bin men used to actually come and pick the bin up themselves from outside the back door, go out with it, empty it into the lorry and then carry it back to where they found it. Mind you, at Christmas they also expected a tip :D

• Like 5

We have three bins: Green for recycle. Brown for nature parts. Black for the rest.

Our black bin gets taken every week. We take it out to them. They never come only a few feet further to collect it.

The brown bin gets taken once every six months.

The green bin gets taken once every month.

We don't have a yard, so no need for a brown bin. We just put it in the cellar and use it for storage.

We have three bins: Green for recycle. Brown for nature parts. Black for the rest.

Our black bin gets taken every week. We take it out to them. They never come only a few feet further to collect it.

We don't have a yard, so no need for a brown bin. We just put it in the cellar and use it for storage.

Here where I am is the same (Victoria, Australia). Blue bin for recycleables. Green bin for rubbish and black bin with orange lid for plant/tree debris which is turned into mulch. Green bin turned into landfill. Blue bin taking the plastics (1-3), tins, etc.

and pointless... just bury your compost in your garden. No mess. No boxes. Nothing. Simple and easy :) (just make sure to bury it at least 8 inches deep or the raccoons will dig it up lol)

Those pesky Raccoons get into everything.

• Like 1

6 months?! How big is this brown bin? the size of a shipping container??

So far we have three bins too. Brown for garden rubbish - Blue for cardboard, papers and cans - Green for everything else.

Those pesky Raccoons get into everything.

We don't have Racoons in this country. Before we were issued with bins all rubbish went out in black sacks, a prime target for cats, dogs and seagulls.

Thats not my experience that all. we have had this system for…Well my, I think it is over two years now and it works a treat. I live right on the sea front and I have had (No) bother with gulls, rats or any other scavengers. for bulk items such as mattresses that can't be recycled or given away there is a weekly removals service for £49.00 which will cover 6 items. Edited by Blue Star

Since Kent County Council began fortnightly 'recycling' collections a few months ago, there has been a huge increase in fly-tipping on my land where it adjoins the lane! Two or three time a week, rubbish appears on the grass verges and in the drainage ditches. I contacted the Council, and guess who's responsible for clearing it up? Yup - you've guessed it! We've always had a problem with builder's waste and the odd lorry tyre etc, but it's increasingly household stuff being dumped these days.

What another BS Thread.... where I live, in Spain, the refuse collectors are out EVERY night (this is no exageration). This is yet another "Brussels tells us this and we must comply" BS attack on the EU.

It is all lies that the UK Media spins to its own needs. No-one has to separate reciclables, if you cant be Arsed then everything goes into the green bin. SIMPLE!

By all means attack the stupid rules that come from Brussels (all approved by the UK Members by the way) but do not make up rules and regulations that in no way reflect the actual impact of the EU.

Edited by keithisco

Thats not my experience that all. we have had this system for…Well my, I think it is over two years now and it works a treat. I live right on the sea front and I have had (No) bother with gulls, rats or any other scavengers. for bulk items such as mattresses that can't be recycled or given away there is a weekly removals service for £49.00 which will cover 6 items.

The collection of these articles is completely free in the rest of the EU. It is yet another BS attack on the EU that cannot be justified.

• Like 1

It is all lies that the UK Media spins to its own needs. No-one has to separate reciclables, if you cant be Arsed then everything goes into the green bin. SIMPLE!

It's not as simple as you're making out..... Anyone can not bother to recycle if they don't want to - yes, but if we throw 'everything' into our green bin, here the green bin only gets emptied once a fortnight and isn't big enough to hold a fortnights worth of 'everything' rubbish. It worked fine when we had a weekly collection but they stopped that to encourage people to recycle more. Not only that, the bin men lift the lids on the bins to check what's inside. I've actually seen them not emptying people's bins because they've put rubbish in it that should have gone in one of the recycling bins instead.

Personally I can't see the problem,I find recycling easier.

Edited by shaddow134
  • Like 2

What another BS Thread.... where I live, in Spain, the refuse collectors are out EVERY night (this is no exageration). This is yet another "Brussels tells us this and we must comply" BS attack on the EU.

By all means attack the stupid rules that come from Brussels (all approved by the UK Members by the way) but do not make up rules and regulations that in no way reflect the actual impact of the EU.

Well, like I said in the "MPs banned from eating Scrambled Eggs" thread, it's a very common thing for councils, government or whoever to insist on silly jobsworth regulations and blame the EU or Health & Safety or whoever else they like for some ridiculous idea that they've thought up themselves just to inconvenience people that little bit more. Therefore surely ti's right to bring it to public attention, it doesn't make it BS.

Personally I can't see the problem,I find recycling easier.

Recycling is one thing, how is it easier to have to hump four different bins out to the front every two weeks? And for two weeks' worth of junk to build up because stupid Government has impsoed yet another stupid rule?

Anyway, why is recycling easier than just putting stuff out in the bin?

Well, like I said in the "MPs banned from eating Scrambled Eggs" thread, it's a very common thing for councils, government or whoever to insist on silly jobsworth regulations and blame the EU or Health & Safety or whoever else they like for some ridiculous idea that they've thought up themselves just to inconvenience people that little bit more. Therefore surely ti's right to bring it to public attention, it doesn't make it BS.

By all means, and I wholeheartedly agree with you on this, bring it to Public Attention, just dont blame the implementation of the Directive on the EU. The EU sets targets for recycling, not on how to implement said directive.

The UK always seems to opt for the method of implementation that causes the most inconvenience for the general public. In Spain, it is very unusual to have individual household bins for refuse collection, with the emphasis being on much larger bins that service smaller communities. The organic waste is collected daily (for composting) with paper, plastics, glass and metals collected weekly as required from separate bins. I pay 104 euros a year for the collection of my rubbish (i.e.2 euros a week) which I consider to be money well spent with costs kept this low by the City selling on the waste to recycling centres.

The BS part of this thread is the suggestion that the EU is telling the UK HOW to implement the Directive (which dates back 5 years and more). In short, it is the UK Gold Plating the Directive in such a way as to extract the maximum financial advantage (increasing Council Tax), whilst delivering, probably, the lowest quality of Service.

• Like 1

Recycling is one thing, how is it easier to have to hump four different bins out to the front every two weeks? And for two weeks' worth of junk to build up because stupid Government has impsoed yet another stupid rule?

Anyway, why is recycling easier than just putting stuff out in the bin?

Do you have limits over there,we can only put 2 garbage bags per week.I recycle, and I usually put only 1 bag out as a result.