Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

No Video For Japan Flying Squid - A Fake?

NatureBoff

Could Japan Flying Squid Be A Fake?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. No video evidence, only a single dubious photo, are they real?

• Yes, if Japan scientists say they are then they must be real
    • No, authorities could be using this as a cover for unexplained phenomena
    • I'm undecided

LOL! What?? A new amazing new species that was flying out of the water in front of their science research boat, but no-one thought of bringing a video camera? (In Japan!)

The photo looks like a painting.

Take a look at the number of bizarre creatures on the List of legendary creatures from Japan.

Here is the potential reason why the Japan authorities would want to invent a flying squid to ally peoples fears if they saw something that looked like a ghost perhaps:

Japan's post-disaster reconstruction efforts hindered – by ghosts

Numerous reports of ghost sightings have reportedly been made by residents in the city of Ishinomaki in Miyagi prefecture, home to nearly a fifth of all tsunami fatalities.

Reconstruction and repair have been put on hold in some instances due to workers' fears that the spirits of the dead who passed away a year ago will bring them bad luck if they continue, according to AFP.

Highlighting one half-repaired supermarket, local Satoshi Abe, 64, told the agency: "I heard people working to repair the store became sick because of ghosts. People died here everywhere, here and there. The city is full of such stories."

post-94765-0-28585600-1376796944_thumb.j

You realize that a simple google search will reveal tons of information about the "flying" habits of these squid, right?

And you are aware that this is an unbelievably biased poll right? Are you also familiar with the fact that nowhere in Japanese mythology is there the typical "Casper" type ghost?

You realize that a simple google search will reveal tons of information about the "flying" habits of these squid, right?

The Japanese Flying Squid is in Wikipedia, yes, but the "flying" part is still very dubious. Look at the talkpage.

And you are aware that this is an unbelievably biased poll right? Are you also familiar with the fact that nowhere in Japanese mythology is there the typical "Casper" type ghost?

Why do you mention that?

The Japanese Flying Squid is in Wikipedia, yes, but the "flying" part is still very dubious. Look at the talkpage.

Why do you mention that?

Well, we have been talking squid in a ghost thread all morning, so I think its safe to bring ghost into a squid thread!

Ahem, back on topic. Where in the video do the Japanese attempt to explain the object in your video as the flying squid? Also, where do they call them high flying cephelopods? They state prettt clearly that the little buggers only stick to the air for a few seconds, and considering the way squid propel themselves its not a stretch to see them moving 30 meters.

I am confused......

Smugfish.....

They do exist.....I think that pic looks like a drawing myself, but this does not .....

6a00d8341bf67c53ef016762bd379f970b-800wi.jpg

Flying Squid Rocket Through the Air

Feb 22, 2012 02:18 AM ET // by Sarah Simpson

http://news.discovery.com/earth/squid-rocket-science-120222.htm

• Like 1

not at my joke, right?

Nobody on the internet should be confused by that.

not at my joke, right?

Hell no, that cracked me up.......

I am confused that Smugfish is saying something does NOT exist....Yet, says other " things " do.....( Flying Rays, Giant Hyrax, Flying glowing Lizard, etc )

• Like 1

Hell no, that cracked me up.......

I am confused that Smugfish is saying something does NOT exist....Yet, says other " things " do.....( Flying Rays, Giant Hyrax, Flying glowing Lizard, etc )

I for one am right along side ya.

Well, we have been talking squid in a ghost thread all morning, so I think its safe to bring ghost into a squid thread!

Well funnily enough, there IS a creature in Japanese folklore that fits the description of ghosts and spirits seen during the tsunami. I've even witnessed this myself which I described in another thread with respect to the chickcharnie of San Andros Island in the Bahamas. I even described it as "night heron" which nearly poked my eye out whilst I was dozing in a hammock under the full moon. It hovered in from of my face with outstretched wings which vibrated. It then landed next to a shallow pool where I had placed some fish I'd caught during the day. It had a luminous soft glow to it, which I thought was from a single outstretched wing which was reflecting the moonlight so it could attract the fish. I looked over and it vanished. I didn't even see it fly away.

And guess what, the Japanese have a "luminous night heron" in their folklore. A direct match! It even matches the Cornish Owlman, which similar was witnessed hovering vertically with outstretched wings.

Aosaginohi - A luminescent heron
Aosaginohi, or Aosagibi (青鷺火, "blue heron fire") is a phenomenon illustrated by Toriyama Sekien in his Konjaku Gazu Zoku Hyakki. It depicts a night heron with a mysteriously illuminated body.

Aosagibi.jpg

Edited by NatureBoff

They do exist.....I think that pic looks like a drawing myself, but this does not .....

6a00d8341bf67c53ef016762bd379f970b-800wi.jpg

Flying Squid Rocket Through the Air

Feb 22, 2012 02:18 AM ET // by Sarah Simpson

http://news.discovery.com/earth/squid-rocket-science-120222.htm

Okay, I stand corrected. With the new information and photo I'm willing to accept that the flying squid does exist and isn't a fake. I'm still glad I did the thread though because I've discovered something amazing. Edited by NatureBoff
  • Like 1