Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

8-Year-Old That Never Ages

EllJay

8-Year-Old Never Ages, Could Reveal 'Biological Immortality'

Gabby Williams has the facial features and skin of a newborn, and she is just as dependent. Her mother feeds, diapers and cradles her tiny frame as she did the day she was born.

The little girl from Billings, Mont., is 8 years old, but weighs only 11 pounds. Gabby has a mysterious condition, shared by only a handful of others in the world, that slows her rate of aging.

For the past two years, a doctor who has been trying to find the genetic off-switch to stop the aging process has been studying Gabby, as well as two other people who have striking similarities.

Why the 'Benjamin Button' children never age.

A 29-year-old Florida man has the body of a 10-year-old, and a 31-year-old Brazilian woman is the size of a 2-year-old. Like Gabby, neither seems to grow older.

"If we could identify the gene and then at young adulthood we could silence the expression of developmental inertia, find an off-switch, when you do that, there is perfect homeostasis and you are biologically immortal."

http://abcnews.go.co...ory?id=19974247

http://abcnews.go.co...19974247&page=2

• Like 2

o_O what to do ? no words for this !

Wow. Only a handful of cases around the world, and no name for the condition. This is fascinating stuff.

My heart goes to them.....this story just reminded me to count my blessings.

And those parents, coping so amazingly....beautiful human beings.♥

• Like 1

I feel sorry for these people. I wonder if researchers would care as much if they didn't think they can make a buck or million off of the results.

good grief

I think it was on TLC that I saw a documentary about her case. It's sad that she and others have to live like that but at the same time once doctors figure out why she doesn't age normally maybe it could be applied to other people who would like to slow there aging process down.

I feel sorry for these people. I wonder if researchers would care as much if they didn't think they can make a buck or million off of the results.

I don't know. I have been through an experience where everyone was so interested in my condition. At first things were very uncomfortable and I actually had to patent my antibody to get things to cool down. I felt bad, I am a researcher, I do not want to impede research. Later I found that most of the over zealous researchers were not about money, more recognition or just breakthrough research. I can understand that. One of the clinical immunologist was actually the person that suggested I patent my antibody. He was very sweet and worried about how the stress would effect my condition if things continued as they were.

I wonder if they get to live longer than the average humas due to the slow aging process ?

So do their brains develop at the same rate or are they as capable as anyone else their age mentally?