Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Views on Magick

Mictlantecuhtli

Metaphysics

I perceive magick as something that is used by various practitioners over the long course of time. Magick has been around, and it of course predates Christianity.

I believe magick has limits to what the practitioner can achieve. We obviously can not defy the scientific laws that govern us as a whole. Magick is complex, hard to understand completely.

Everyone has their own perceptions on magick, and experiences. This what makes us different from one another. Experiences vary from individual and individual. That is how the world works, in its natural ways.

Magick is magick

What do you think about this? What do you believe?

I think there shouldn't be a 'K' in 'magic'.

what I believe, is that magic, as most practitioners perceive it, doesn't exist.

it is a modern fantasy based on a romantic notion of old celtic/druidic/pagan religions.

'magic' to the ancients meant dowsing, herblore, astronomy, divination, not dancing around hilltops in your bare scuddies waving anthames around & sanctifing your cauldron, but if it makes people happy, then what the hell, have fun!

:-)

• Like 3

I believe that magick is merely magic and that the added 'k', not used for centuries, is just to make it look cooler and spookier. Crawley et al have a lot to answer for. (Only my opinion)

• Like 1

Spelling is merely Spelling.

For an example

Megan is a name that can be spelled Meghan,Megann, or what have you.

Edited by Mictlantecuhtli
  • Like 1

Metaphysics

I perceive magick as something that is used by various practitioners over the long course of time. Magick has been around, and it of course predates Christianity.

I believe magick has limits to what the practitioner can achieve. We obviously can not defy the scientific laws that govern us as a whole. Magick is complex, hard to understand completely.

Everyone has their own perceptions on magick, and experiences. This what makes us different from one another. Experiences vary from individual and individual. That is how the world works, in its natural ways.

Magick is magick

What do you think about this? What do you believe?

@Shroom Not everyone does what you mentioned. Depends on their religious and spiritual path.

Edited by Mictlantecuhtli

'magic' to the ancients meant dowsing, herblore, astronomy, divination, not dancing around hilltops in your bare scuddies waving anthames around & sanctifing your cauldron, but if it makes people happy, then what the hell, have fun!

I don't think it's so much about any of those things at face value, as much as pure intent.

• Like 1

How to cure your patient with magick (magic). Do all sorts of odd things around the patient, at least a few of which are unpleasant or even painful. Give the patient and family complicated instructions.

Most conditions resolve themselves: when this happens take the credit.

When the patient dies, assert that the patient is at fault for not doing something your instructed or because of evil forces the patient was using --BLAME THE PATIENT.

• Like 2

Spelling is merely Spelling.

For an example

Megan is a name that can be spelled Meghan,Megann, or what have you.

It's more than just spelling. It's an attempt to give credence to trickery and deception.

• Like 4

Magic is a very alluring concept especially when you have movies like Harry Potter or Avatar:The Last Airbender to name a few. Makes the concept of manipulating natural forces really sound plausible and many really think that they have some sort of hidden "power" and all they need to do is throw caution to the wind, be gullible and naive and with enough flailing of the hands and arms - along with the right type of incense and crystals- they can be their own wizards.

Yes..very alluring indeed as long as it is recognized as only fantasy.

Too many kids get so caught up in this sort of nonsense that they refuse to even look at reality and basic science because it might burst their favorite bubbles so they plug their ears and surround themselves with cheesy spell books from Amazon, robes, staffs and the like and continue their game of pretend.

And all the paraphernalia that is connected with it, the cards runes, stones, etc are all part of the scam.

• Like 2

I think the use of the K in magick is handy for knowing what exactly people are talking about. So if you are talking about a stage magician who is pulling rabbits from his hat then the word 'magic' is used instead of 'magick' to describe perhaps a more ceremonial style belief.

So some might believe that focusing will power can bring change into the world(fair enough yeah). I guess that would be a basic description of magick. Some believe that making changes in the astral(dreaming) worlds can also bring about changes in the physical world. So these types of beliefs I think need the K to show a difference to the stage magician(illusionist).

Edited by Kazahel
  • Like 1

The problem with distinguishing "real" magic from stage magic with spelling is that this is not known and therefore needs explaining every time you use it. Personally I think both are trickery anyway; one honest and the other dishonest.

• Like 1

Lies are one of the most potent forms of sorcery around. You can change people's minds, lives, and world with just one good lie. And most of us lie every day, creating our own little worlds for others and ourselves.

• Like 1

@Shroom Not everyone does what you mentioned. Depends on their religious and spiritual path.

having been raised in a pagan household by a couple of irish hippies, i'm more than aware of what it entails, and the difference between the true worship of nature and its wholly modern wiccan bastardisation.

I ain't knocking wiccans by the way, just that it makes no sense to me, but like I said, if it makes people happy, then have fun with it, but changing the world with a word just ain't gonna happen i'm afraid.....

The problem with distinguishing "real" magic from stage magic with spelling is that this is not known and therefore needs explaining every time you use it. Personally I think both are trickery anyway; one honest and the other dishonest.

Many things aren't well known and need to be explained. And I think there should be a way to easily distinguish between them and to me a K does that. Also I'm not sure you could call magick trickery or being dishonest either. If people believe that magick is basically the focus and outcome of will, then I'm not sure how that would be called being dishonest.

So for example, if I did a ritual or whatever I felt focused my will strong enough on a goal and I believed it to bring change in the physical world, and that change occurred. How would this act of magick be called a lie?

Or if I did a ritual and focused my will to gain a new spiritual understanding by say invoking an angel, if after this ritual I felt I had gained some extra understanding, then how could this be called trickery?

So yes some will claim things like tarot cards and whatever other tools are a part of the 'scam', but if they are used to bring about change to the mind or bring change into the physical world, then it cannot really be called a scam.

but changing the world with a word just ain't gonna happen i'm afraid.....

That reminds me of a Bible verse. It's funny, I don't know much of the Bible but I always get reminded of it. It's probably out of context but anyway..

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

He was with God in the beginning.

Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.

I think there is definitely something in Magick, but the results are subtle down here in our mundane world.

Science on the other hand has results that are by far much more substantial.. But when you consider the genesis of modern sciences which were born of Alchemy, Astrology, and a few other Magick tricks, one can see that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. A world without Magick would be a pretty boring if you ask me.

That reminds me of a Bible verse. It's funny, I don't know much of the Bible but I always get reminded of it. It's probably out of context but anyway..

Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.

i've always wondered about that particular verse myself Kazahel, as the way I read it, it implies a creator OF gods- HE was with god, and through HIM all things were made.

it wouldn't sound strange if you added the words 'including god' at the end.....

int his case, I think "Word" means thought, so it's the thought of God and how it created all things.

int his case, I think "Word" means thought, so it's the thought of God and how it created all things.

but who was the guy who was with god Col.

would he be the witness that watchtower sellers keep going on about....?

but who was the guy who was with god Col.

would he be the witness that watchtower sellers keep going on about....?

It depends, as it always does, what verison you're looking at. The KJV, my favourite version, has it "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with god, and the Word was God.

The same was in the beginning with God."

So what can we make of that? Perhpas it's talking about Jesus, which is what John was talking about after all.

• Like 1

A world without Magick would be a pretty boring if you ask me.

Really? How so?

I would have thought that since science is always discovering something new and revising and refining its findings that this alone would be far more rewarding than flailing your hands and waving a stick around.

I man, sure, magic is fine for fantasy but using it to explain reality? Sorry but isn't that what ignorant children do?

I'm not a practicing anything, to begin with.

I always thought 'magick' was more of a process that pagans or non-mono-theists used to perform their religion, basically. The rituals etc. used to bring about some change either internal or external. It's not fairy godmothers, fireballs, love potions and *poof* there's a bunny stuff.

Much like Catholics lighting candles, using a rosary and praying repeatedly to change their reality.

It's all pretty much the same thing.

I'm teaching myself tarot. It's fun. :)

Magick works when the person utilising it understands the cause and effect relationship between the inner and outer and intention and direction of will, it is a gateway (one of many) into harnessing the energetics or universal law of order/creation. Whether it can work for you or not just depends what kind of person you are and how you best motivate and organise yourself to accomplish things. For some magick would be frustrating and not worth the energy, as they perhaps have a better way to plan, manifest / create goals and don't see the point in using a tool like this.

Everyone has a method/ mechanism really, just that those who tend to be drawn into magick and the lifestyle obviously have an infinity with it that can be rewarding in an artistry skilled way, and find it works as a tool very well for taking control of ones life and managing the ups and downs. In that sense it can be very therapeutic and if so who is to bash it ? If you are someone who finds it difficult to manifest what you need then maybe looking at magick / ritual would help you focus and clarify what it is you really are trying to do.

And Ryu, children are far less ignorant than adults in that sense, unfortunately children have to grow up in an incredibley ignorant society that tries to program and educate us into linear thinking drones, we have too many adults who have lost their sense of inner child and therefore innate connection to magick.

• Like 1

As we know magic has tricks but "magic" will remain magic if the people seeing it "unexplainable" while the magician retains its mystery :yes: