Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Views on Magick

Mictlantecuhtli

Really? How so?

I would have thought that since science is always discovering something new and revising and refining its findings that this alone would be far more rewarding than flailing your hands and waving a stick around.

I man, sure, magic is fine for fantasy but using it to explain reality? Sorry but isn't that what ignorant children do?

Putting science aside, my preconceptions about Magick, which are probably wrong is more than mere facts, figures and formulations. Magick is IMO, achieved through a state of mind, a Zen, A place within all of us where thoughts are things, where inspiration and imagination isn't smothered by the limitations imposed upon us by reason, law or logic.. I'm not one to wave a magic wand and mutter hocus pocus, nor pour scorn upon those that do.. But when I think about Magic and what it's like to live a magical world I tend to go back to my youth when the world was truly a magical place. Dang would I love to live in that world again... So for me, I guess, Magic is a state of mind, a feeling of wonder, of inspiration.. Without that feeling, yep, the world would be a pretty boring place fill of limitations..

Don't get me wrong, science also rings my bell and is full of new discoveries and awe inspiring stuff. But when it comes to the crunch, I don't think the great scientists and thinkers of the ages ever step far from the Magick in their lives.. Something has to drive or guide them towards making their discoveries.. Necessity isn't the only mother of invention IMO.

... So for me, I guess, Magic is a state of mind, a feeling of wonder, of inspiration.. Without that feeling, yep, the world would be a pretty boring place fill of limitations..

I guess I just don't get it. When I was a kid I just never seen the world as magical because such things were never actively encouraged.

I never pretended to see fairies or imaginary things really because such things were never encouraged.

For me reality was focused on, not magic.

I think one of the reasons we even HAVE science is because people got tired of the old "it's magic" routine and wanted a real answer.

Many people say it is all in the mind when speaking of magic and it probably is, saying an incantation, so you can find that car you've been looking for, is fun but you still need to look at the ads and actually go out shopping. Real action gets results is what I guess I am trying to say.

And Ryu, children are far less ignorant than adults in that sense, unfortunately children have to grow up in an incredibly ignorant society that tries to program and educate us into linear thinking drones, we have too many adults who have lost their sense of inner child and therefore innate connection to magick.

I guess just don't see why we should feel we need magic in real life. It is great for fantasy but has no function in real life. As I have said, children ARE ignorant, this is why we teach them how to think and how to observe and how not to jump to a conclusion just because it is the easiest.

I do agree, however, that we rather tend to encourage a one-track mind type thinking but overall I think that we are not doing any harm by teaching critical thinking. Magic should never be a part of it. Fine for fantasy and personal hobbies but that's it I guess.

Sorry if I sound obscure, it's early, hot and I'm hungry.

Edited by Ryu

There is also the feeling of magic. Anything that generates positive emotion is magic. Creation itself is magic. Science uses magic, if you want to look at it that way. People 200 years ago would find our modern technology really magical.

Yes I believe in magic.

• Like 2

"Magic" is just a word then because we don't have anything better to describe an emotional response, right? Cool. I get it.

• Like 1

I guess just don't see why we should feel we need magic in real life. It is great for fantasy but has no function in real life. As I have said, children ARE ignorant, this is why we teach them how to think and how to observe and how not to jump to a conclusion just because it is the easiest.

I do agree, however, that we rather tend to encourage a one-track mind type thinking but overall I think that we are not doing any harm by teaching critical thinking. Magic should never be a part of it. Fine for fantasy and personal hobbies but that's it I guess.

Sorry if I sound obscure, it's early, hot and I'm hungry.

I think you are missing point because magick is not about "pretending" to be a fairy or unicorn and prancing about in fantasy land. That would be role playing if it's about pretending, yes it is magical in it's thinking so i get why you are using that as an example, but magick in the ritual or alchemy sense is not about playing pretend, it's seen as an application, a tool, a philosophy. I don't practice magick btw, so I'm no expert on it but i do understand the fundamentals of it as i practice my own sense of ritual and energy work and consider myself to have a spiritual connection to the earth, the animals, and elements.

One thing that may be misconstrued though for fantasy is that in the tarot where you have your archetypes and symbolic meanings and relationships between the archetypes, and that each archetype stands for a certain theme/energy/ message/ spirit/ totem -- well magick is kinda the same principle, once you understand what the archetypal are and what energy they 'represent' - from trees to fairy's to mythological gods or creatures then you begin to realise it is about the energy and directing that energy for intentional purposes. It's about meddling with things in the next level 'above' some call it the astral levels - but for conversation sakes we'll call it the realm where every one dreams and acts out their ego diva routines. It is in a sense the realm where even imagination can reach some sort of existence (on that realm may i say) if it is directed into as such -- see thought forms and tuplas for example. Certain aspects of the astral levels are sometimes like an ever evolving sims game, some of it full of peoples creations and distortions, dreams and nightmares, and some of which will never make into physical 3d fruition, but of what does? you can find the blue print to that creation right there.

Anyway one part of magick is about harnessing the energies of certain chosen avatars if you like, as well as nature and elements for the purpose of creating, changing, healing, and inspiring something. If someone wants to use "unicorn magick" or summon a unicorn ( I know I've chosen the worst possible example; but :) ) it's not to be as childish as you may think, but more to do with what does the unicorn represent to that person?, it doesn't matter that the unicorn only exists in an astral dimension somewhere or as a universal symbol of something, the point is what is its attributes and strengths as an archetypal that can be used to shape and mould the creation process of aiding something to happen.

Now that is the real magic in magick, that some have managed to achieve their goals by being able to access and harness a fuller potential of their minds/psyche than they could have otherwise. It's not that the practitioner is living in a fantasy world that they should have grown out of as a child, no, but that they have cracked the code to the power of their consciousness by applying a mechanism called magick. One that happens to work with the multi levels of consciousness that our consciousness already resides on. It's awareness that is key in this. Bringing the awareness to the other areas of us, that we are trained to ignore and turn off for left brain dominate linear drone thinking.

In an ideal balanced world, it would be about merging and integrating left hemisphere and right hemisphere as one mind, not two thinking centres constantly in domestic with one another. Science i don't think is supposed to exist in it's own dominate sphere, but we make it so out fear for something or our society wouldn't be so one split minded. Also, Yes an extreme in right brain thinking can lead to some pretty crazy and disturbing creations, but equally so can singular left brain creations and as already witnessed in our world a huge lack of regard and compassion that often goes with it for life.

Edited by bLu3 de 3n3rgy
  • Like 1

Seriously though it's not and never has been "magick" I feel that is like tarnishing or marginalizing the word "magic" and "Magical."

Magick is from fantasy authors trying to put a "kewl runic exotic twist" on the word magic, and when people use "magick" especially in real word context, it just looks silly.

As far as actual "magic" powers, I totally agree with what an earlier poster said, early pioneers of science and medicine absolutely looked "magical" to the old world inhabitants. Even today, when I see some of the technology doing absolutely AMAZING stuff, like cloaking devices etc., my lil brain wants to go "ooohh magic!" But, because we are exposed ateast to some degree, to science we can step back and acknowledge the amazing scientific accomplishment rather than call it "magic."

• Like 2

I think there is definitely something in Magick, but the results are subtle down here in our mundane world.

Why?

Science on the other hand has results that are by far much more substantial.. But when you consider the genesis of modern sciences which were born of Alchemy, Astrology, and a few other Magick tricks, one can see that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. A world without Magick would be a pretty boring if you ask me.

So you want "magick" to be true in some sense so you won't be bored. That some of the sciences trace part of their origin back to old superstitions doesn't prove anything. For the most part these sciences had to struggle to defeat the previous beliefs.

The real question is whether magick is pronounced differently from magic. Should I really accentuate that last consonant or maybe even spit a little at the end so that people know which one I'm referring to?

• Like 1

Adding a "K" does not make it more real.

"Magic" is the last resort of a desperate person...the last vestiges of hope.

There is no boogey man....there is no "secret power" of the acolytes and adepts...only a fantastic dream for those that have ran out of real options.

It's like the people that jump up and down and believe in "the secret"...whatever....positive thinking is a good thing, but it is not magic and it really isn't a secret. If you continuously tell yourself you are going to faill...I can almost guarantee that you will...if you continuously prop yourself up and tell yourself you will succeed eventually...then eventually you will.

There is no magic here, only the power of will and thought.

• Like 1

There is no magic here, only the power of will and thought.

Which is expressed through physical action.

• Like 1

I study all religions and philosophy...well, all that I can get my hands on and manage to wrap my brain around. Because of that, I do have a spiritual side. However, that does not mean I sit on my buttocks and wait for the sky to split and a miracle to fall down on my head...I could be sitting a very long time if I did that.

In sports, we know that "visualization" is a very important part of actualization...you have to see it in your mind before you can accomplish it. You have to know it can be done.

There are a few cases where trickery was used. I remember years ago, the world weight lifting record was defeated because they lied to the guy and told him he was gong to be lifting a weight he knew he could lift...they actually added more weight and did not tell him...he broke the world record.

So...while I don't believe in "magic" proper....some outside, mysterious "force"...I do believe that human beings are capable of amazing things...and it's not magic...it's just...well...humans being amazing humans...

Let's talk more about science and k's.

Maybe if science was spelled like "syience" or maybe "scyence" it would make it more palatable to people.

Why?

Who knows.. There's plenty of folk to practice magical arts. It's a mystery to me.. Having preconceptions destroys any truth there is about things we can touch and control and Magick being subtle, means having any preconception will likely effect it, maybe even destroy it.. who knows...

So you want "magick" to be true in some sense so you won't be bored. That some of the sciences trace part of their origin back to old superstitions doesn't prove anything. For the most part these sciences had to struggle to defeat the previous beliefs.

lol, yep, it's all about me...................... :lol:............................

I don't want Magick to fit my expectations.. I'm like everyone else here, observant.... but easily fooled...