Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Concious evolution

White Crane Feather

I'm sort of curious. Does anyone think conscious evolution is possible, and then what is the out come?

I'm sort of curious. Does anyone think conscious evolution is possible, and then what is the out come?

If you're talking about willing yourself to evolve then no. That would require being able to manipulate your individual makeup on the genetic level using only your mind. Not possible.

cormac

• Like 1

If you're talking about willing yourself to evolve then no. That would require being able to manipulate your individual makeup on the genetic level using only your mind. Not possible.

What about evolution of the mind?

Yes, it is called "breeding". How do think modern farm animals evolved?

• Like 1

I think you could try to evolve your mind, but not your body. Being able to evolve your body would be like shapeshifting, which isn't really possible.

But I've heard through meditation, spiritual kind of deeper thinking stuff, you could try to evolve your own mind. Find some sort of peace, or gain some sort of knowledge. Achieve higher thinking and whatnot.

I don't really know what the outcome would be, but I'm thinking you'd just have a better view and insight into things. You'd know your mind, soul and body better, and possibly you could connect to the earth as well.

Or maybe if you trained your body and worked it well enough, you could evolve your body to a small degree, making it fit and strong, your kids might inherit that as well. Like the children of overweight people tend to be overweight, as skinnier people's kids are skinny like them. I've heard that it can actually be passed down from parents, but it could also just be from the lifestyle.

Edited by Nighthawk9653

I think so..

Consciousness as far as I'm aware is all about placing your intention & awareness into things-anything.. As such, conscious evolution might be as simple as spawning a new idea take takes the world by storm..

I forget the name of the book.. but it was the first time ever-in history- That people could read a story in the omnipotent 3rd person, or something like that.. all of a sudden this book caused something of a conscious evolution among readers, who for the first time could enjoy a story from a perspective never before experienced, a perspective that moved like a ghost on the outside towards the inner-most thoughts and feelings of the characters.. Prior to that dear reader, I the narrator doth placeth thy word in eloquent prose upon the page..

Edited to add: oh Crud.. This is the Spirituality & religion Forum, are you talking about strait consciousness or Genetic alteration?

Edited by Professor T

Or maybe if you trained your body and worked it well enough, you could evolve your body to a small degree, making it fit and strong, your kids might inherit that as well.

???????????????

Are you kidding? Did they teach you that at school???

What about evolution of the mind?

The OP said "conscious evolution" not "consciousness evolution" which isn't the same thing.

cormac

• Like 1

I think that was the goal of the Nazis to breed better humans. What they didn't understand is diversity is what drives evolution. If you look at what we have done with breeding dogs we have not done all that well with it. Pedigreed dogs have a lot health issues caused by breeding. Sometime what one thinks is a bad genetic trait turns out to be something you need in the mix. It could be done with all the gene manipulation we can do, but is it something we really want to do. Might end up with something worse than what we started with.

It would be nice if we could evolve to be more suited for space travel, though.

Individuals do not evolve, populations do.

Jeesh.

Zaphod had it right:

Yes, it is called "breeding". How do think modern farm animals evolved?

Conscious evolution = selective breeding program.

• Like 1

I think so..

Consciousness as far as I'm aware is all about placing your intention & awareness into things-anything.. As such, conscious evolution might be as simple as spawning a new idea take takes the world by storm..

I forget the name of the book.. but it was the first time ever-in history- That people could read a story in the omnipotent 3rd person, or something like that.. all of a sudden this book caused something of a conscious evolution among readers, who for the first time could enjoy a story from a perspective never before experienced, a perspective that moved like a ghost on the outside towards the inner-most thoughts and feelings of the characters.. Prior to that dear reader, I the narrator doth placeth thy word in eloquent prose upon the page..

Edited to add: oh Crud.. This is the Spirituality & religion Forum, are you talking about strait consciousness or Genetic alteration?

That wasnt 'The Celestine Prophecy' by any chance was it?

The OP said "conscious evolution" not "consciousness evolution" which isn't the same thing.

cormac

I'm aware. I brought up the mind because you did. You felt you can't evolve using only the mind. But you're pigeon holing evolution to physical genetics. Evolution as a species has the ability to make progress with the mind. New ideas, new ways of seeing, new concepts understood, etc. The grasping of an idea, conscious will to understand it and use it, and spread your understanding with others to better your lives and the species as a whole, and spreading it to new generations, who build on it and develop it more? This is conscious evolution, and likely doesn't involve any predetermined double helix.

I believe this is what evolution will mainly be once we no longer need to protect ourselves physically, as technology starts to remove that necessity (it already has started to).

Edited by _Only
  • Like 2

I'm aware. I brought up the mind because you did. You felt you can't evolve using only the mind. But you're pigeon holing evolution to physical genetics. Evolution as a species has the ability to make progress with the mind. New ideas, new ways of seeing, new concepts understood, etc. The grasping of an idea, conscious will to understand it and use it, and spread your understanding with others to better your lives and the species as a whole, and spreading it to new generations, who build on it and develop it more? This is conscious evolution, and likely doesn't involve any predetermined double helix.

I believe this is what evolution will mainly be once we no longer need to protect ourselves physically, as technology starts to remove that necessity (it already has started to).

No, I replied based on the word the OP used. If he's not clear enough for you take it up with him, not me.

I'm not pidgeon holing anything. Evolution is based on physical genetics. One doesn't decide they no longer want blonde hair and blue eyes, so will themselves to change the genetics involved in order to become a redhead with green eyes. It doesn't work that way. And "conscious evolution" in this regard would be physical evolution that one notices themselves as opposed to "consciousness evolution" and possibly to a degree "conscience" evolution. The latter two of which would be mental evolution and should not be confused with the former.

cormac

I was referring to conscious control over our evolution. I mean deciding what traits we will have in the future. But not just things like hair color, I mean complete control over our genetic capabilities and life itself. Imagine growing a starship or growing network technology instead building it, but growing it inside of your mind.I can imagine human beings merging with everything Maybe in ways we have not thought of yet.

I'm interested in the subject because of ray curswell. He seems to think technology will grow to the point where we will be able to consciously control our entire existence and the Hunan race will merge into some sort of super being. This makes me wonder in the billions of years this universe has been around and the infinite spans before it was here if it has not already happened.

• Like 2

I was referring to conscious control over our evolution. I mean deciding what traits we will have in the future. But not just things like hair color, I mean complete control over our genetic capabilities and life itself. Imagine growing a starship or growing network technology instead building it, but growing it inside of your mind.I can imagine human beings merging with everything Maybe in ways we have not thought of yet.

I'm interested in the subject because of ray curswell. He seems to think technology will grow to the point where we will be able to consciously control our entire existence and the Hunan race will merge into some sort of super being. This makes me wonder in the billions of years this universe has been around and the infinite spans before it was here if it has not already happened.

Which is pretty much what I understood you to mean. And you really can't call it evolution as none of the traits you, or anyone else, decides on would have evolved. What you are really talking about is genetic manipulation, and while the extent to which you're referring to is not currently possible it 'may' become possible in the future. Although I really have to question whether it's a good idea or not.

cormac

That would be genetic engineering. Evolution occurs through births and deaths, whether it is done consciously (selective breeding) or unconsciously (natural selection). We can't consciously decide to darken our skin, but we can consciously decide to move to an equatorial country and hope our descendants stay long enough to pick up that adaptation(might take a couple of hundred generations, though).

That would be genetic engineering. Evolution occurs through births and deaths, whether it is done consciously (selective breeding) or unconsciously (natural selection). We can't consciously decide to darken our skin, but we can consciously decide to move to an equatorial country and hope our descendants stay long enough to pick up that adaptation(might take a couple of hundred generations, though).

Thanks. "Manipulation" was just the first word on my mind, but neither is "conscious evolution" such as I'm talking about, which isn't possible.

cormac

Edited by cormac mac airt

Evolution is based on physical genetics.

Correction: what people have already gathered about the subject of hereditary physical evolution is just that. Evolution isn't limited to that in our future, however. Evolving is just achieving something gradually over time. This is why it feels like you're pigeon holing the definition. So stop thinking along the lines of deciding you want your hair to become blue, and start thinking about slightly more abstract forms of achieving gradual growth in the mind, and you'll get where I, and White Crane, are coming from.

It's a sort of a 'what if' question in conscious will relating to (dare I say it now) consciousness, which really is impossible with an 'it's not possible' attitude.

I honestly didn't even make the 'consciousness' translation to the question he posed until you did, but your reply stating that human evolution is only related to physical hereditary traits was ignoring the biggest part of us; the part that isn't physical . But it is what I am referring to. If you don't believe that evolution of consciousness is really evolution and not possible here and now, then, well, there you have it. I disagree, though, or at least entertain the possibility. Which if we all did, we could theoretically start to find out what is really possible.

I think mental evolution should be confused with physical evolution. It's about that time in the budding development of the thinking man, right? Exciting stuff, hypothetically.

Correction: what people have already gathered about the subject of hereditary physical evolution is just that. Evolution isn't limited to that in our future, however. Evolving is just achieving something gradually over time. This is why it feels like you're pigeon holing the definition. So stop thinking along the lines of deciding you want your hair to become blue, and start thinking about slightly more abstract forms of achieving gradual growth in the mind, and you'll get where I, and White Crane, are coming from.

It's a sort of a 'what if' question in conscious will relating to (dare I say it now) consciousness, which really is impossible with an 'it's not possible' attitude.

I honestly didn't even make the 'consciousness' translation to the question he posed until you did, but your reply stating that human evolution is only related to physical hereditary traits was ignoring the biggest part of us; the part that isn't physical . But it is what I am referring to. If you don't believe that evolution of consciousness is really evolution and not possible here and now, then, well, there you have it. I disagree, though, or at least entertain the possibility. Which if we all did, we could theoretically start to find out what is really possible.

I think mental evolution should be confused with physical evolution. It's about that time in the budding development of the thinking man, right? Exciting stuff, hypothetically.

You're not even on the same page as White Crane, who laid out what he meant. To whit:

I mean deciding what traits we will have in the future. But not just things like hair color, I mean complete control over our genetic capabilities and life itself.

No, again he laid out exactly what he meant. The bold portion above is not about conscious will relating to consciousness, it's about physically engineering ourselves.

cormac

The redeemer who brought the law of forgiveness into the world did just this in dying upon the cross. Father forgive them for they know not what they do ,it was his last last recorded prayer and from that day the world was never the same again for conscious evolution began in the soul of man.

You're not even on the same page as White Crane, who laid out what he meant.

The bold portion above is not about conscious will relating to consciousness, it's about physically engineering ourselves.

Using what?! Read the next sentence! Evolution using the mind. Using our mind to shape everything is the exact page I am on! Shaping everything that exists using the mind is an exercise in shaping consciousness itself. Not just genetic capabilities, but life itself. Using the mind. Willing change.

But I won't argue any more about what I think he's saying. You can see what you like of it, ignoring the thread tags, forum section, and person posting. But I can't help but feel a bit unfairly called confused for thinking he meant the human potential of the mind, using consciousness to willfully shape his own world. I just don't want to have to keep defending myself for it when more interesting things can be talked about.

You don't seem to see buy the concept that evolution of a mind can possibly equate to evolution of that mind's world. Fine! But don't treat me like I don't understand what's going on for mentioning the idea, please!

Edited by _Only

That wasnt 'The Celestine Prophecy' by any chance was it?

I don't think so..

I can't remember the book, but it was written some time in the 15th century.. German, I think..

I don't know if Genetic Engineering or Genetic alteration would have much to do with a conscious ability to change/evolve. Those are scientific terms designed the manipulation of genes/DNA.. I think though, that a conscious ability to alter your physical attributes at will would probably come under the umbrella of Metamorphosis.

Which is pretty much what I understood you to mean. And you really can't call it evolution as none of the traits you, or anyone else, decides on would have evolved. What you are really talking about is genetic manipulation, and while the extent to which you're referring to is not currently possible it 'may' become possible in the future. Although I really have to question whether it's a good idea or not.

cormac

It is evolution, it's just not natural selection.... It would be artificial selection.