Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hellbeast on Earth

Big Bad Voodoo

ku-bigpic.gif

http://io9.com/a-guide-to-the-ravenous-hellbeast-that-is-the-carnivoro-1032957256

It's been said that the path to overcoming fear is paved with understanding. Normally I'd agree – but when it comes to Hawaii's carnivorous caterpillars, I find myself second-guessing the maxim. Because THESE CATERPILLARS EAT LIVING FLESH. Here's how evolution played this cruel joke on us all.

• Like 2

I thought this was going to be about my ex-wife...

Then I saw the pic and ... IT WAS!!!!

• Like 6

The Hellbeast is a caterpillar? Am kinda disappointed, Melo. :(

You are not bound to like anything but imagine you are fly,bee,ant..

I thought this was going to be about my ex-wife...

Then I saw the pic and ... IT WAS!!!!

She did grab you like that?

• Like 3

Yes, it looks like a terrible claw descending onto the poor old fly. But this is just nature at work. For something to live, something else has to die. It's just the way it is. :)

Yes, it looks like a terrible claw descending onto the poor old fly. But this is just nature at work. For something to live, something else has to die. It's just the way it is. :)

Yes but this thing is awfull.

• Like 1

Yes but this thing is awfull.

Well, maybe if it wasn't capturing a meal, and was just wiggling around as caterpillars do, you might actually grow quite fond of it?

Well, maybe if it wasn't capturing a meal, and was just wiggling around as caterpillars do, you might actually grow quite fond of it?

Perhaps, this is vicious animal. Tricky and ugly...definition of demon.

Okay, I know what you mean. And it's true; life is quite ugly sometimes.

I read somewhere that if there were no predators of the common housefly.. A single pair would produce enough offspring (and their generations) to make a mound 15 feet deep roughly the size of Germany in one year...

So to this ugly little catepillar I say... "Chow down!"

• Like 4

Perhaps, Hell BUG, would have been more apropos as a title. Beast tends to make one envision a larger, more ferocious creature and not one you can swat with your shoe.

• Like 2

It's a fly, fgs! Good on the caterpillar, is what I say.

No doubt! It's a marvelous shot, none the less!

• Like 1

By our standards some would call it that but nature is that way. To us it may seem cruel but to the caterpillar it is just trying to survive.

Still, that is pretty amazing. Thanks for posting that. We learn something new about the real world every day. I am thankful for science.

yeah, the sequel "the very hungry caterpillar: hellbeast on earth" was not very well recieved.

it didn't emerge as a beautiful butterfly in that one, let me tell you.

• Like 1

Gave me the shivers, it did. But considering how much I detest insects, I'm rooting for the caterpillar.

• Like 1

ku-bigpic.gif

http://io9.com/a-guide-to-the-ravenous-hellbeast-that-is-the-carnivoro-1032957256

It's been said that the path to overcoming fear is paved with understanding. Normally I'd agree – but when it comes to Hawaii's carnivorous caterpillars, I find myself second-guessing the maxim. Because THESE CATERPILLARS EAT LIVING FLESH. Here's how evolution played this cruel joke on us all.

It's amazing to think what giant hellbeasts could be discovered in the near future. A potential big shock for us all could be waiting out there. Edited by NatureBoff

Is the mother it becomes carnivorous?

That's pretty creepy for a catapillar. It would make an excellent huge monster in a horror movie

I say we call it, THE ANGRY INCH

• Like 1

It's amazing to think what giant hellbeasts could be discovered in the near future. A potential big shock for us all could be waiting out there.

Especially if one is considering marriage.

• Like 1