Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Georgia Man Faces Trial Over Killing Baby

Kowalski

BRUNSWICK, Ga. —

It was a tiny bullet that took the short life of Antonio Santiago.

He had learned to walk, but not yet talk, when he was killed March 21, six weeks after his first birthday. He was strapped in his stroller, out for a walk with his mother a few blocks from their apartment near the Georgia coast, when someone shot the boy between the eyes with a .22-caliber bullet the size of a garden pea.

The teenager charged as the shooter is scheduled to stand trial next week in a courthouse far from the scene of the crime. Because of public outrage and news coverage, a judge has moved 18-year-old De'Marquise Elkins' trial 325 miles away, to the suburbs outside Atlanta. Jury selection starts Monday at the Cobb County courthouse in Marietta. Superior Court Judge Stephen Kelley has set aside two weeks for the trial.

Elkins faces life in prison if convicted of murder. His youth spared him a possible death sentence. At the time of the shooting he was 17, too young to face capital charges in Georgia.

Link: http://www.ajc.com/n...stroller/nZRYy/

I hope this piece of filth, rots in hell along with his defense attorneys....

Edited by Kowalski
  • Like 1

Another story here:

MARIETTA, Ga. – The lawyer for a Georgia teenager charged with fatally shooting a 13-month-old baby in the face is objecting to the racial makeup of potential jurors.

Jury selection began Monday in the trial of 18-year-old De'Marquise Elkins. A judge moved his trial to the Atlanta suburb of Marietta, more than 325 miles from the street where young Antonio Santiago was slain March 21 in Brunswick.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.c...k#ixzz2cWlkHtzR

Edited by Kowalski

I hate the "minor" defence in murder trials. He was well aware of what he was doing, the punishment should fit the crime.

• Like 4

I heard about this when it happened. What good did killing a baby do him? How would it bring him money in any way? Stupid ignorant ****...

• Like 1

The POS went looking for trouble, someone to rob. I think it should be considered premeditated. Neither the baby nor the mother posed any threat to him (obviously) and he shot the baby maliciously and with the intent to kill it.

There is NO punishment severe enough to adequately provide justice for this crime. Period.

• Like 3

I can't comment on this as I don't know much other than what the MSM has said and that is always subject to infusions of Propaganda.

There was so much info left out of the media about the Martin - Zimmerman trial that it totally skewed public opinion...and that was intentional. We will prob see a repeat...

I do not believe in trial by media...I think there needs to be brief reports on what happened and that is it...the propaganda machines should be muzzled.

Edit to add:

If it happened as stated...a slow and painful demise should be in order to set an example to the rest of the thugs....this will not be pleasant for you...

Edited by Jeremiah65
  • Like 3

What REALLY gets my goat is that the perps mother immediately went on the news saying that her son was a good boy and would never do a thing like that. Then it came to light that the family helped dispose of the gun and provided him a false alibi. Hope they're prosecuted as well. Aiding and abetting, giving false information, whatever they can get them with.

• Like 7

This is probably one of the worst, and saddest cases I have ever heard. It's just so senseless.... :no:

• Like 2

What REALLY gets my goat is that the perps mother immediately went on the news saying that her son was a good boy and would never do a thing like that. Then it came to light that the family helped dispose of the gun and provided him a false alibi. Hope they're prosecuted as well. Aiding and abetting, giving false information, whatever they can get them with.

She was charged with lieing to the police, and obstruction of justice.

• Like 3

I can't comment on this as I don't know much other than what the MSM has said and that is always subject to infusions of Propaganda.

There was so much info left out of the media about the Martin - Zimmerman trial that it totally skewed public opinion...and that was intentional. We will prob see a repeat...

I do not believe in trial by media...I think there needs to be brief reports on what happened and that is it...the propaganda machines should be muzzled.

Edit to add:

If it happened as stated...a slow and painful demise should be in order to set an example to the rest of the thugs....this will not be pleasant for you...

I live in Georgia, about 2 1/2 hours away from the town this happened in. We probably got much more coverage in the state than most of you did. My husband does business in this town and says that it is a pretty accurate representation of the attitudes and regular criminal activity in that area. I don't know how this could be made out to be much worse than it was. He tried to rob the mother, threatened to shoot the baby if she didn't comply, and shot the mother and the baby anyway. There were witnesses to it and it was in broad daylight on a sidewalk.

• Like 1

If it actually that clear...then...he should not be exempt from the death penalty. At 17 you know full well what you are doing.

My cynicism is purely based on the fact that there is a racial element here....we all know that there seems to be a push to increase racial tensions rather than relax them. The Zimmerman trial and the Paula Deen thing come to the front as recent examples.

I know I will be condemned, but in my minds eye, there is an apparent effort to escalate the tension. Tiny bits of information are not released to try and steer public opinion.

In this case, I don't see how anyone of any race, creed or color could defend this...but you never know these days.

So...I am a cynical old b@stard these days. I have pretty much lost faith in the bulk of society to do anything right....sorry.

• Like 4

I agree with you, Jeremiah, and what's most ironic in this case is that it was a black youth shooting a Hispanic/American baby. The polar opposite of the Zimmerman/Martin situation.

• Like 3

And you can see how the hypocrites are storming this (and the Aussie murder) thread, of course. :rolleyes:

• Like 3

*Update*

After deliberating for nearly two hours, a Georgia jury found 18-year-old De’Marquise Elkins guilty Friday of multiple charges, including felony murder, for shooting and killing 13-month-old Antonio Santiago during a robbery. He was also convicted of aggravated assault and other charges for shooting pastor Wilfredo Calix-Flores during a separate mugging 10 days before baby Santiago was shot.

Link: http://www.hlntv.com...oting?hpt=hp_t2

Another link: http://www.theblaze....ched-in-horror/

• Like 1

Wonder how long he'll last in prison.

Oh, probably not too long.....

Said this same thing in another thread, I don't think criminals care what other criminals do. They only care how something will or will not affect them.

If this guy gets beaten up or killed in prison, it'll far more likely be because he wasn't giving up cigarettes, or he looked cross eyed at the wrong guy. They won't give two craps on why he is there.

I think this thinking is just so us normal law abiding folk feel like there is more justice to be served. It won't be. He'll lift weights, watch cable tv, get an education if he'd like, have three square meals and a warm place to sleep every night.

Edited by supervike
  • Like 1

Said this same thing in another thread, I don't think criminals care what other criminals do. They only care how something will or will not affect them.

If this guy gets beaten up or killed in prison, it'll far more likely be because he wasn't giving up cigarettes, or he looked cross eyed at the wrong guy. They won't give two craps on why he is there.

I think this thinking is just so us normal law abiding folk feel like there is more justice to be served. It won't be. He'll lift weights, watch cable tv, get an education if he'd like, have three square meals and a warm place to sleep every night.

And don't forget healthcare.....

:(

Edited by Burt Gummer

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 4 month old baby girl and if this happened to her the cops would never have had a chance of catching him I would have tracked him down and killed him myself!!!!!

• Like 1

Wonder how long he'll last in prison.

not long once other inmates find out what hes in there for somebody will kill him

• Like 1

110%. It's just a thought that helps us sleep a little better at night. Kind of like karma...

• Like 2