Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Real life Rapunzel with 55ft long dreadlocks

Still Waters

She is the real life Rapunzel with 55ft long dreadlocks that are longer than a bus.

Despite being warned by doctors that her hair that weighs three stone could paralyse her, Asha Mandela said she will never cut them.

The mother-of-one from Atlanta, Georgia, said: 'My hair has become part of me. It is my life. I will never cut it.

http://www.dailymail...e-cut-them.html

That's just nasty...imagine the hairball in the shower drain....imagine the smell....vomit_zps6de83060.gif

• Like 1

I have three friends with dreads that drag around on the floor. One is a gal, the other two are guys. One of the guys has had his dreads since I first met him in 1989 his are the longest and he says they are heavy and uncomfortable and he still wouldn't cut them for any reason. several of the locks drag almost 3 feet behind him. I've asked him how often they get stepped on, he claims that it's not as often as you'd think. LOL I don't belive him. LOL

I've always understood dreads to be rather dirty and stinky... but I wouldn't say that about any of my three friends. They seem to keep them clean and stink-free. LOL.

• Like 1

I'm just surprised the hair hasn't fallen out completely. I would think the tight braids and length would weaken the hair over time and it would break a lot and fall out heavily from the roots.

I learned what "reception-age" means.

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 1

I'm just surprised the hair hasn't fallen out completely. I would think the tight braids and length would weaken the hair over time and it would break a lot and fall out heavily from the roots.

I learned what "reception-age" means.

I'd imagine that a lot of the hair in those dreads isn't actaually attached to the persons head any longer. It's just a lot of dead matted hair. I'm sure it breaks before it has the opportunity to fall out at the roots.

• Like 2

If your friends are Rastafarian, they won't cut them...ever. A friend of mine is Jamaican and is a Rasta and it's a spiritual thing for them. He keeps his up in a kit cap most of the time....

I'd imagine that a lot of the hair in those dreads isn't actaually attached to the persons head any longer. It's just a lot of dead matted hair. I'm sure it breaks before it has the opportunity to fall out at the roots.

Interesting

Wow, that's wild. I agree with the drs., though--the weight of that much hair could cause issues. And dreadlocks don't stink unless you don't take care of them.

• Like 1

I bet she dreads having them cut...

:blush:

• Like 1

That's not 55 feet, I don't need to measure it I can tell just from looking. Maybe 25ft. And definitley not longer than a bus.

• Like 3

That's not 55 feet, I don't need to measure it I can tell just from looking. Maybe 25ft. And definitley not longer than a bus.

Just as the article says... ;)

They officially measured 19ft 6in but an unofficial measurement this week put one strand of her hair at an incredible 55ft 7in long - almost three times the official length.

I would guess the elasticity of the hair might have come into play with the 'unofficial measurement' and it makes for a much more appealing article title.

Edited by Junior Chubb

If your friends are Rastafarian, they won't cut them...ever. A friend of mine is Jamaican and is a Rasta and it's a spiritual thing for them. He keeps his up in a kit cap most of the time....

My friends aren't Rasta, or Jamaican. They're just have been wearing dreads since the 90s or before and all three have always been self employed as musicians and business owners. They're just artsy folk.

Yup. If you have curly hair, there is quite a bit of shrinkage in length when it dries, and you can stretch it quite a bit before it snaps if it's healthy. I had no idea that a person could grow their hair quite that long, though. Good for her.

Yup. If you have curly hair, there is quite a bit of shrinkage in length when it dries, and you can stretch it quite a bit before it snaps if it's healthy. I had no idea that a person could grow their hair quite that long, though. Good for her.

As mentioned earlier, her hair is not actually that long, the strands furthest from her head are no longer attached, just matted in with the rest of her hair. ;)

A bit like having the worlds longest fingernails by gluing on all the clippings that have been cut off...

Yeah, those are inter-twined broken hairs. Common with "dreads"

No reason for a "record" holder here.

Ahhh. That makes more sense. She has her own extensions built right in. Imagine all the stuff in those twists of hair. Ick.

• Like 1

Ahhh. That makes more sense. She has her own extensions built right in. Imagine all the stuff in those twists of hair. Ick.

I think I'm in love with you.

(Serenade)

...Will you be my Moon...

...My Moon Shadow tonight...

Oops, sorry, off topic.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 1

As mentioned earlier, her hair is not actually that long, the strands furthest from her head are no longer attached, just matted in with the rest of her hair. ;)

A bit like having the worlds longest fingernails by gluing on all the clippings that have been cut off...

Ewww!

Looking dapper there, Jr.!

• Like 3

Ewww!

Looking dapper there, Jr.!

Cheers.

But its an ancestor, hopefully he passed down his elegance. ;)

• Like 2

Wow... she needs to see a psychiatrist... She's afraid that "someone with a hair fetish will cut a lock"? Call out the men in white coats please... I'm concerned, this woman has a child. A child who she is teaching about how her magic hair saved her life, and that if it's cut, she'll become a zombie. Wow... just wow....

My Great Grandmother came to America from Poland many years ago and she Never cut her hair. She was a devoted Catholic and believed in never cutting her or girls hair. When she died her hair was past the floor. In the pictures that I have her hair was in one long braid. So I guess for some people it's common place. I'm not sure if it started when she came to America or her mind was set to grow her hair when she was in Poland. Just thought I would share.

This is where a time machine comes in handy.

• Like 2