Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Pope Benedict: 'God told me to resign'

Still Waters

A "mystical experience" during a dialogue with God convinced Pope Emeritus Benedict to resign as head of the Roman Catholic Church earlier this year, he has said.

"God told me to do it," the 86-year-old former pontiff told a friend, six months after his decision to step down shocked the world's 1.2 billion Catholics.

http://www.telegraph...e-to-do-it.html

• Like 1

Am imagining God saying, "Benedict, one of us has to go and it sure as hell ain't gonna be me".

• Like 3

Why is it, that when we hear about "god telling someone something", and that something is either 'good' or neutral in it's moral outcome, that people of religion have a tendency to believe this 'conversation' actually happened. But when we hear of someone who committed a criminal act relating that "God told me to do it", the instictive reaction is "liar" or "nutjob"?

After all, is God (of the Christian variety) not the creator of good AND evil?

I remember a story about an evangelical preacher to whom god said there was no hell. When he revealed this to his flock, he lost 90% of his mega-church membership, who couldn't believe in a world without hell. If I believed that guy, I gotta give the pope some consideration.

Edited by Beany

"When you talk to God, you're religious.

When God talks to you, you're insane."

• Like 2

So, God fired him.

• Like 1

God: "Listen, I appreciate what your doing here, and you've been a valuable resource, but things have to change around here. I can't have a bunch of priests going around touching things they shouldn't! I tokd you, background checks! Then we got all the little kids afraid of you because you look like Emperor Palpatine.

So sorry, we're going to hav to ask you to pull a Nixon. Before you do that.... we kind of need you to come in on Saturday."