Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

U.S. has long fought Big Tobacco

questionmark

Pretty soon, if U.S. representatives negotiating a secretive trade deal get their way, tariffs on tobacco in poor Asian countries will sink to zero — and those countries will have a hard time protecting their citizens against a tidal wave of cheaper cigarettes.

Over several decades, the U.S. has relentlessly fought tobacco use. Anti-smoking ad campaigns, prominent warning labels, smoking bans and high taxes have had their desired effect: The smoking rate has been dropping for decades and this year reached a new low of 18 percent among people over age 18.

Now, the U.S. is pushing to help tobacco companies find new customers overseas, by allowing them easier access to developing countries in Asia through a sweeping trade deal that would make it more difficult for countries to pass the kinds of laws that reduced smoking in the U.S.

Read more

Maybe somebody should remind these Gentlemen and Gentleladies that the Opium Wars was the beginning of the end of the British Empire? Same story, discouraged at home and exported to the "underdeveloped". And Britain lost its face all over the world.

All we learn from history is that politicians don't even know what it is (except that they will some day be in it).

• Like 1

All we learn from history is that politicians don't even know what it is (except that they will some day be in it).

THIS! Nothing more.

The federal government has not "long fought big tobacco", anymore than it has long fought big pharma or big banking or big health insurance industry. What an unrealistic statement.

Sure, some scary videos and strong language on packaging, but that is only for the gullible.

The deal arranged and approved by the feds 10 or 15 years ago effectively created a cabal that favors big tobacco.

• Like 4

The dirty little secret is that the government needs people to smoke - just like it needs people to buy big gas guzzling SUVs.

Gotta keep those taxes flowing. Remember what happened when gas spike a couple years back and everyone cut back on driving and started buying Priuses - it didn't take long for the states to start screaming about declining tax revenues from gas taxes.

If cigarettes are so deadly then make them illegal and shut down the tobacco companies. Nope, never happen. Not only would taxes plumet, but things like teachers pension funds in states like North Carolina would fall dramatically.

• Like 3

I was searching about tobacco companies providing free cigarettes to U.S. soldiers... Which was still happening in the 90's , and found this link that talks about the practice.

The DOD is complicit in this, in transporting them to the troops. .. i'm sure a lot of smoking soldiers appreciate it .. but it reeks of opportunism ?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2724442/

The dirty little secret is that the government needs people to smoke - just like it needs people to buy big gas guzzling SUVs.

Gotta keep those taxes flowing. Remember what happened when gas spike a couple years back and everyone cut back on driving and started buying Priuses - it didn't take long for the states to start screaming about declining tax revenues from gas taxes.

If cigarettes are so deadly then make them illegal and shut down the tobacco companies. Nope, never happen. Not only would taxes plumet, but things like teachers pension funds in states like North Carolina would fall dramatically.

I choose to smoke knowing its risks..

As an adult, I have that right.

Southern states like Virginia and North Carolina would see a rapid decrease in industry and exports if that were the case..

I was searching about tobacco companies providing free cigarettes to U.S. soldiers... Which was still happening in the 90's , and found this link that talks about the practice.

The DOD is complicit in this, in transporting them to the troops. .. i'm sure a lot of smoking soldiers appreciate it .. but it reeks of opportunism ?

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC2724442/

I experimented with tobacco use as a young man and did not like the stuff. When I joined the Army, I cannot remember being offered free cigarettes, and that was late 60's.

However I have known a handful of men who fought in Korea, and they told the story that upon joining, every soldier was given 2 cartons of cigarettes.

Glad for you that you didn't like it Babe. Ya , It used to be quite common, Red Cross would distribute them to troops too.. i guess they were still handing out smokes in combat areas in the gulf war ... and other 'theaters' ..( i forgot what i read now)

• Like 1

I experimented with tobacco use as a young man and did not like the stuff. When I joined the Army, I cannot remember being offered free cigarettes, and that was late 60's.

However I have known a handful of men who fought in Korea, and they told the story that upon joining, every soldier was given 2 cartons of cigarettes.

I've heard the same stories. It makes me chuckle to remember. The night/morning I arrived at the "reception station" at Fort Jackson there were several 55 gal barrels in the center of the room and the word was given to dump all cigarettes and any other "contraband" in them. That even drugs could be disposed of -sort of a one time amnesty ;) I remember the groans, the guys didn't realize they were about to be reformed smokers....
  • Like 1