Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Who is Pagan?

Grandpa Greenman

Every time we discuss Paganism. Someone jumps in gives the old Roman definition. Word meanings change and new definitions come into being. This blog does a good job of explaining the new meaning of the word, Pagan.

‘Pagan’ has a vague and confusing definition that keeps us from understanding who we are and our importance at this time in history. Taking a historical view we can, however, eliminate a number of false definitions and come to focus on our unique nature. This contradicts many of the colloquial and even academic ideas about what and who is Pagan, but this deconstruction is a necessary process for us to attain to our rightful place in the world. So I ask: Who is Pagan?

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/paganrestoration/2013/08/who-is-pagan/

• Like 3

Why is the opinion of others important or relevant? If this is what you truly believe...go with it!...Be free, jump and dance!

Why do you care what others think?

As a Gnostic, I can tell you that I personally do not care what others think as I trek along my mission of discovery.....I learn something new evryday...sometime spiritual, sometimes not......but I learn each and every day.

If your life and spirituality is based on what others think or might think...I think you have totally missed the point. Your path is yours and yours alone....the road to enlightenment is short for some and long for others but hopefully we all eventually find the same place.....

Do not let tags and labels define who you are...I am a Heretic to some....a gnostic to others....but the point is....I do not care what labels you choose to assign to me...I am on a mission of discovery....you are free to call it whatever you want....I do not care. I believe there is truth to be found in all things.....defining it is the challenge....

• Like 6

I don't believe pagans are building any kind of religion. We tend to shy away from religion, except those who are Wiccan.

From what I gather, "pagan" is simply "not christian" and not an actual religion in and of itself.

• Like 1

Did you read the whole article? And maybe you haven't read many of my posts. What I get out of what you are saying is we don't have a legitimate religion so we don't deserve to have a name? When we have Pagan Festivals we have to call it something. I am active in my Pagan community. What I am suppose to say when people ask me what I am doing. We call ourselves Pagan. I am a proud Pagan.

• Like 2

I don't believe pagans are building any kind of religion. We tend to shy away from religion, except those who are Wiccan.

We shy away from dogma. But those of us who are active are building religion. We hold rituals, have clergy and have festivals. We even have 8 holidays a year. Looks like we are building a religion to me.

• Like 2

You are panic stricken because you are not sure that you believe what you think you believe.

You are currently seeking validation....not going to find it here....I believe that within each person is born the knowledge of God.....they can run from it, they can deny it, they can curse it...i do not care...they know the Father is out there and they quake and tremble,,,,it's because they know they are violating the fundamental laws but their own satisfaction at the moment seems more important....they are wrong. Dreadfully wrong,,,,

Oh well...bye all means please feel like you are actually free and the light and dark have no influence....it's funny to watch....

Did you read the whole article?

Did you even read what I wrote? I simply said "from what I gather". I never said "pagan" was anything bad or non existent.

It SEEMS that paganism simply refers to any religion that is outside the Abrahamic section.

• Like 1

You are so clever in inviting the non believers and believers into this conversation. you are hoping that the fight will shield you from the truth.

I am a Gnostic....I believe in the spiritual side of things....not like most but I do. You have invited those that believe in nothing into this conversation...I can only theorize it is to hide amongst the conversation....

Atheist and agnostics have their reasons for thinking the way they do...I cannot question that...perhaps if man were a more worthy vessel....we might have skipped this stage.....but we are not.

I am beyond tired of fighting over the right of people to believe......it is tyranny...regardless of the side.

On one hand, if you believe in the basic structure of biblical doctrine....you are an enemy.

if you believe in nothingness....you support the gays.

I am past tired of this. I want everyone to come to their own finality....I want the next step....I am tired of wallowing in ancient dogma....

Edited by Jeremiah65
  • Like 1

You are panic stricken because you are not sure that you believe what you think you believe.

You are currently seeking validation....not going to find it here....I believe that within each person is born the knowledge of God.....they can run from it, they can deny it, they can curse it...i do not care...they know the Father is out there and they quake and tremble,,,,it's because they know they are violating the fundamental laws but their own satisfaction at the moment seems more important....they are wrong. Dreadfully wrong,,,,

Oh well...bye all means please feel like you are actually free and the light and dark have no influence....it's funny to watch....

I think the exact opposite is the case. The natural human religious instinct is Paganism, and all cultures, no matter how widely separated, develop a form of it. Monotheism, on the other hand, is an artificial cult that has to be imposed by force.

• Like 2

The problem I have with this so-called "truth" is that everyone seems to think their way is the only way.

My father, who decided to be a Lutheran, feels that his way is the only way while someone of another system of belief might see it differently.

There are so many roads that go up the mountain, some wind wildly around while others take a rather straight shot up but either way, at some point all paths will intersect, if only briefly, with one another.

But it is hard but we all have to do our own thinking and do it of our own volition.

I am a proud Pagan.

I do not mean to sound abrasive but what is there to be "proud" of in being pagan or any religion?

Does that mean it sets you apart form others? If so then how?

I am just wondering.

I think the exact opposite is the case. The natural human religious instinct is Paganism, and all cultures, no matter how widely separated, develop a form of it. Monotheism, on the other hand, is an artificial cult that has to be imposed by force.

In order to even preserve the culture and its systems, aren't all belief systems imposed on its people by some manner of force be it direct or subtle i.e coercion, belittlement and so on?

Edited by Ryu

You people....yes you....you feed this fight because you want the mainstream to accept you....you demand it...you walk all over things to get it.

Perhaps you should have learned more about the art of subterfuge....

oh well....at this rate....there will never be peace...we will be attacking something. for pain and profit

The problem I have with this so-called "truth" is that everyone seems to think their way is the only way.

My father, who decided to be a Lutheran, feels that his way is the only way while someone of another system of belief might see it differently.

There are so many roads that go up the mountain, some wind wildly around while others take a rather straight shot up but either way, at some point all paths will intersect, if only briefly, with one another.

But it is hard but we all have to do our own thinking and do it of our own volition.

I do not mean to sound abrasive but what is there to be "proud" of in being pagan or any religion?

I am just wondering.

One of the features of Paganism is that it does not believe itself to be the only true way.

• Like 1

You people....yes you....you feed this fight because you want the mainstream to accept you....you demand it...you walk all over things to get it.

Perhaps you should have learned more about the art of subterfuge....

oh well....at this rate....there will never be peace...we will be attacking something. for pain and profit

Uh-huh. And what did I do that was so wrong?

I don't believe what everyone else believes, that is a very true statement. Earth is my Mother, the forest my Father. I am of the Universe and I am the Universe. I am also as sure as you are of what I believe, maybe more so.

• Like 1

100% pure condescension^.

You are so clever in your attacks...and most of you do not know what it is you are attacking....ignorance is a deadly weapon....

I yield for now....you have beaten the german/scott-irish back to our farms......we really don't want to fight.

HOWEVER....I am not an idiot....I read the news....and even as fair as some folks swear...they are not fair and hide the truth for "soME reasons....absolutely maniacal....the scotts and the germans will fight...they are not pussies....

believe in action over thought....hell the red sox won..geessh,,,

it is coming....I am stunned at those that dont get it....happens all the time.....

By all means, continue as if your system has anymore validation than theirs does.

Seriously, what an asinine thing to say. You really believe you., and you alone, have the right bestow judgment on others because they don't fit your system of belief?

Luke 6:37 "Judge not, and you shall not be judged; condemn not, and you shall not be condemned; forgive, and you shall be forgiven."

For someone so assured they hav it right, you seem to forget your own teachings.

• Like 1

- post removed -

Ok Jeremiah, just remember Cthulhus still in R'Ley, and never read the Latin.

Anyway, to every non-troll in the thread, what was the original discussion?

Sure I am proud of the work I have done in as we call the "path." As I said I am active in the in our little Pagan community. Finding Paganism pulled me out of a dark place, I honestly don't know what would have happen to me. When I was in a wheelchair, they kept telling me I would never walk again and find a home for my cat. I know a lot of people in my situation who gave up. I would say, I am a Pagan, I fight until my last breath. It gave me strength never knew I had. With a lot of hard work and pain, I walk.

Now I give back to the Pagan community in my small way for all the love and support. I have always been connected to the Earth. To honor the Earth is natural to me. Paganism didn't find me I found Paganism. If you saw me on the street your not going to tell me from anyone else, I just do different things that involve my religion.

I am just wondering.

In order to even preserve the culture and its systems, aren't all belief systems imposed on its people by some manner of force be it direct or subtle i.e coercion, belittlement and so on?

Pagans can't do that, it is against basic ethic in Pagan thought. If people come to you and ask you tell them about it. No coercion or belittlement to each his own path. I like my religion and am very happy with it. I like to inform people of it. If someone hadn't told me about it, I never would found it, but it is not suited for everyone. I wasn't talked into it or tricked or told this is the only path. I told my friend what was going on in my head and he said go the library and look up Paganism. I discovered what I already knew and it had a name, along with some very nice people. So you can't fault me for loving it. It's not for everybody. Paganism is one of the few religions that has an entrance exam.

• Like 1

Ok Jeremiah, just remember Cthulhus still in R'Ley, and never read the Latin.

Anyway, to every non-troll in the thread, what was the original discussion?

What is a Pagan? Click on the link in the OP. I thought it was a good read, so I wanted to share it.

Are you drunk?

I sincerely hope that's all. Nonetheless, everybody got their emergency numbers handy?

What is a Pagan? Click on the link in the OP. I thought it was a good read, so I wanted to share it.

I was aware, just my way of trying to get thread back on topic. I hope you didn't mind my sarcasm.

Sweet avatar by the the way.

• Like 1

I just put him on my ignore list. :st

I Am SPARTACUS!

Oh, what? Ohhh Pagan, so sorry, my mistake.

>ahem< I firmly believe that labels belong on boxes, parcels, and other containers. And NOT on people.

• Like 2