Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Do non-human animals cry?

pallidin

Sorry if this has been addressed before.

But do any other animals "cry" tears due to emotional stress?

Thanks.

• Like 1

This is not a scientifically verified answer or anything, but your question made me remember something Casey Anderson said.

He was rubbing Brutus' belly, he had a bellyache, and how he saw a tear in the bear's (his best friend) eye. He believes they do feel emotion, I gathered.

"He also insists the creatures are similar to humans in that they are intelligent, have personality, and according to him can even shed tears."

http://www.dailymail...nner-table.html

I found this: http://www.pbs.org/w...f-animals/8005/

although did not take the time to read it before posting

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 2

Dang! I understand the authentication, but that's one BIG animal.

My "weeniness" would have a problem with that.

Seems like a really sweet grizzly though. I guess.

Edited by pallidin

I owned two ferrets. A female named Socks and a male named Bear. I took care of them all the time, and played with them and everything. One day I went to go play with them and Socks was on the floor dead. About 12 hours later Bear seemed depressed and was very lethargic. During this time he kept whining even though he was all hyper before he noticed Socks wasn't coming back. He died a few hours later.

From what I've heard is that ferrets can die from heartbreak.

• Like 2

I've seen my dog cry and she has definitely gone thru depression. She was originally my sister's dog, however my sister moved to the other side of the country and couldn't take her with her. So she became mine to care for, she was depressed for awhile and hers eyes were often watery.

When my parents lost their pomeranian (who was my gift to them) she went through another bout of depression and would whine and want to be hugged and held close.

Recently my sister was back for a holiday - but stayed at my parents, I though my dog would want some time with her and left her there overnight. My sister rocked up at my house with the dog in tow at 11pm saying she was too sad and wouldn't respond to anyone, constantly looking at the door every time a car drove by - she missed me and it was so obvious that they all decided she needed to be brought home to me.

Yes, animals feel a deep range of emotions.

Edited by libstaK
  • Like 3

I don't think animals don't display emotions in all the same ways we do, but they certainly do have a range of emotions.

• Like 1

We barely understand our own emotions. How often do we need poetry or songs to help us come to grips with how we feel? So even beginning to understand the emotions of our non-verbal companions is quite a feat. Having said that, I am convinced that most intelligent animals also have emotions. We have always credited them with loving us. They can certainly appear happy or sad. I notice my cat's eyes have more fluid buildup in the corners when I've been away longer than usual. I think she's been crying. Dogs certainly display a sense of guilt. Our pets sure seem to be capable of jealousy. I really don't know how anyone who has the least familiarity with animals could deny that they have emotions. It's how we bond with them and they with us.

• Like 6

Maybe they don't express their feelings in the same way we do, but I do know one of my uncle's cows mourned over the grave of her calf for a long time, years ago, so they definitely have emotions.

Recently on the National Geographic site I saw articles that showed elephants mourning one of their own, and chimpanzees mourning the loss of a baby chimp. Humans are not the only sentient beings on earth, just the ones who express feelings in human words.

• Like 3

I know some animals show a range of emotions, but whether they actually shed tears is beyond me.