Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

An encounter with a conspiracy theorist

ambelamba

A couple of days ago I showed up at work too early, and ended up chatting with the guy who happened to be one.

I acted nice and played along. But it left me a really bad taste. I pretended to agree with him but I was just amazed by the completely different way to observe life and surroundings. And that's not a compliment.

He was not a good listener, I think. I told him some things that might help him see things from different perspectives, but he didn't even react to it. And he wasn't even interested in different point of view. One thing I tried to tell him was that doomsday myth is not really a common universal one. I can tell you that end-of-the-world prophecy is practically devoid in some regions with rich history and cultures. Even if they exist, some of the tales are far from destructive.

One thing I am really afraid of getting into that sort of mindset is that conspiracy theories like some kind of quicksand. Once you get in, you can't swim out of it. And in my life experience, people with that kind of mindset are usually located in the lower totem pole of the society. No, it has nothing to do with some planned social filtering. That kind of people simply can't handle jobs with higher analytical skills.

• Like 1

And in my life experience, people with that kind of mindset are usually located in the lower totem pole of the society. No, it has nothing to do with some planned social filtering. That kind of people simply can't handle jobs with higher analytical skills.

So, because someone has a different viewpoint of the way the world works, you think their not "analytical"? That's a very condescending type of attitude., IMO.

Congratulations! :tu:

Your exactly what we've come to expect from years of government indoctrination and propaganda.

• Like 6

. And in my life experience, people with that kind of mindset are usually located in the lower totem pole of the society. No, it has nothing to do with some planned social filtering. That kind of people simply can't handle jobs with higher analytical skills.

Well, you hate CP's,.....

I hate Yuppies, and above quote is just one reason why.

And, I have to stay away from the CP's myself. Not sure what is worse a CP, or a Yuppie that thinks they are above other people because of their " status " in what they consider " society ".

• Like 2

And, I have to stay away from the CP's myself. Not sure what is worse a CP, or a Yuppie that thinks they are above other people because of their " status " in what they consider " society ".

And nothing to say of the hipster crowd?

I'll be the first one to tell you, I don't know everything, and I haven't got it all figured out yet. I just try to keep an open mind, and listen to what people have to say, without putting them down.

My husband doesn't like conspiracy theories either. He knows it interests me though, so he just goes, "Yes, dear. Whatever you say dear." :)

• Like 1

Congratulations, Kowaski - you demonstrate some of the OP's points nicely.

Ambelama,

I believe it is far more complex than what you alude to. Being a CT is not restricted to any socio-economic group nor is it related to intelligence. I've seen people who are normally quite rational but on a particular subject seem to throw that all aside and take a ridiculous stance.

Those people who seem to embrace the whole gammit of CT beliefs however, seem to have an inate need to 'blame' things on 'the powers that be', a wanting for some type of order in a chaotic & complex world. It is also probably related to an inferiority complex with a desire to be part of a select group, to "know something" that you don't ("I'm aware of this evil conspiracy whilst you are just a sheeple", etc). You'll notice that those people claim to be "keeping an open mind" yet will only accept things that fit their own world-view and steadfastly reject anything that threatens their belief system.

Edited by Obviousman

Congratulations, Kowaski - you demonstrate some of the OP's points nicely.

I really don't care, to be honest.

But hey, if it makes you guys feel better to put down, "Those crazy conspiracy theorists" go for it.

It always makes people feel better to laugh at someone crazier than them.

Which is why I never laugh.

ever 0.0

I'll be the first one to tell you, I don't know everything, and I haven't got it all figured out yet. I just try to keep an open mind, and listen to what people have to say, without putting them down.

My husband doesn't like conspiracy theories either. He knows it interests me though, so he just goes, "Yes, dear. Whatever you say dear." :)

Hey I said CP's, not CT's :)

What is a CP?

I need to clarify, I do not hate anyone really. I just did not take some of the original comments well. ( I do dis-like Yuppies )

I am not very respectful towards " Psychics " either......My wife loves them, I have to try to do as your husband does and just say " whatever dear ".... :)

Edited by Sakari
  • Like 1

I only think of early 90's business men like out of american psycho when I hear Yuppie.

what's the deffinition?

I only think of early 90's business men like out of american psycho when I hear Yuppie.

what's the deffinition?

To me, they are people whom judge others by how much money they make, what kind of job they have, where they live ( neighborhood / house / etc ), what they drive, what they wear.....They hire people to clean their homes, mow their lawns, and do about anything that is manual labor.

They only " associate " with others that have " money " or appear to have money. Special little click of people they are.

Another description :

My in-laws.....Except my Mother in Law.

When I lived in Nevada, I would go mow her lawn for her every weekend. ( she is not exactly healthy for physical work ) We finally talked to the rest of the family and said they need to help, especially since they were her actual offspring, and I am not. I suggested one weekend a month rotating for the 4 of us.....I did it myself, the rest of them chipped in for a lawn service to do it the other 3 weeks........It was not just about doing the work, it was helping her out and visiting......They make me sick.

Edited by Sakari
  • Like 1

And nothing to say of the hipster crowd?

Hipsters couldn't incite more blind hatred if they were all ginger-haired Al-Qaeda members. But why? Could it be their taste in music? Fashion sense? Attitude of superiority? Perhaps. Or perhaps it's their stupid, ugly faces. We may never know.

hip2.jpg

Just a joke

:)

• Like 1

Hey I said CP's, not CT's :)

What is a CP?

I need to clarify, I do not hate anyone really. I just did not take some of the original comments well. ( I do dis-like Yuppies )

I am not very respectful towards " Psychics " either......My wife loves them, I have to try to do as your husband does and just say " whatever dear ".... :)

Oh, I'm not mad at you, I hope you didn't get that impression from my post. :)

I don't like psychics either, but my sister and mother in law like them, so I just nod my head respectfully, so I know how my husband feels....

Oh, I'm not mad at you, I hope you didn't get that impression from my post. :)

I don't like psychics either, but my sister and mother in law like them, so I just nod my head respectfully, so I know how my husband feels....

Smile and nod. Actually, considering so many people do it, I'm surprised most people don't see it as a hint to move on... especially Girl Scouts. I'm on a diet damnit! :)

• Like 1

He was not a good listener, I think. I told him some things that might help him see things from different perspectives, but he didn't even react to it. And he wasn't even interested in different point of view. One thing I tried to tell him was that doomsday myth is not really a common universal one. I can tell you that end-of-the-world prophecy is practically devoid in some regions with rich history and cultures. Even if they exist, some of the tales are far from destructive.

Conspiracy wackjobs have traded reason with confirmation bias.

Conspiracy wackjobs have traded reason with confirmation bias.

couldn't that be said of conspiracy deniers too?
  • Like 4

couldn't that be said of conspiracy deniers too?

The ones who deny actual conspiracies, rather than those who reject this crap about doomsday, moon landing hoax, reptilians, etc.

A couple of days ago I showed up at work too early, and ended up chatting with the guy who happened to be one.

I acted nice and played along. But it left me a really bad taste. I pretended to agree with him but I was just amazed by the completely different way to observe life and surroundings. And that's not a compliment.

One thing I am really afraid of getting into that sort of mindset is that conspiracy theories like some kind of quicksand. Once you get in, you can't swim out of it. And in my life experience, people with that kind of mindset are usually located in the lower totem pole of the society. No, it has nothing to do with some planned social filtering. That kind of people simply can't handle jobs with higher analytical skills.

There are alot of over-the-top CP's out there who will believe anything and everything. But I (cant speak for anyone else) like to do a bit of research before I believe something.

For example I WANT to believe the Loch Ness Monster is real because by all accounts it sounds to me like it's a plesiosaur. Which would be amazing if it were real (wont go into why I think we may not have found it/them yet). Do I think it's real, No

Bigfoot is another good example, Again I would love to believe it is real because it makes sense with the whole missing link thing and ape ancestors, but the lack of hard evidence (no I don't want a body for proof) makes me on the fence about the whole thing.

2 good examples of conspiracies I believed that turned out to be true (yes it is possible) are the Bilderberg Group - Once just considered a major conspiracy. Second that USA (and other countries I'm sure) spy on its own people.

Both of these were once conspiracies that and been proven real.

Also another which I fully believe is real and still ongoing is MKUltra because (like the Illuminati), why would a group who spends most of their lives on something suddenly stop when they get caught??

And 9/11 being an inside job is another "conspiracy" I believe.

Guess what I am trying to say is that not ALL CP's are wackjob, nutjob, tinfoil wearing crazy people. Its only the loud minority that makes others think so.

So before you put us all in the same boat, educate youself

• Like 4

The ones who deny actual conspiracies, rather than those who reject this crap about doomsday, moon landing hoax, reptilians, etc.

there are far more people out there that deny actual conspiracies than believe in the fringe things you mention. these fringe things are used to discredit real conspiracies researchers. the mainstream media and mainstream debunkers always seem to mention things like jfk in the same sentence as elvis, ufos reptilians etc. you did similar association in your post "conspiracy wackjob" which associates conspiracies with delusion, which is a brainwashing mechanism.
  • Like 4

So, because someone has a different viewpoint of the way the world works, you think their not "analytical"? That's a very condescending type of attitude., IMO.

Congratulations! :tu:

Your exactly what we've come to expect from years of government indoctrination and propaganda.

Bravo

• Like 2

Are you a conspiracy theorist? If not, perhaps you should be. Yes, there have certainly been a lot of “conspiracy theories” over the years that have turned out not to be accurate. However, the truth is that a large number of very prominent conspiracy theories have turned out to actually be true. So the next time that you run into some “tin foil hat wearing lunatics”, you might want to actually listen to what they have to say. They may actually know some things that you do not. In fact, one recent study found that “conspiracy theorists” are actually more sane than the general population. So the next time you are tempted to dismiss someone as a “conspiracy theorist”, just remember that the one that is crazy might actually be you. The following are 16 popular conspiracy theories that turned out to be true…

http://www.zengardner.com/conspiracy-theories-turn-out-to-be-true/

• Like 1

there are far more people out there that deny actual conspiracies than believe in the fringe things you mention. these fringe things are used to discredit real conspiracies researchers.

Yeah, no "real" conspiracy researchers research these alien or doomsday conspiracies.
the mainstream media and mainstream debunkers always seem to mention things like jfk in the same sentence as elvis, ufos reptilians etc. you did similar association in your post "conspiracy wackjob" which associates conspiracies with delusion, which is a brainwashing mechanism.

If the shoe fits.

Are you a conspiracy theorist? If not, perhaps you should be. Yes, there have certainly been a lot of “conspiracy theories” over the years that have turned out not to be accurate. However, the truth is that a large number of very prominent conspiracy theories have turned out to actually be true. So the next time that you run into some “tin foil hat wearing lunatics”, you might want to actually listen to what they have to say. They may actually know some things that you do not. In fact, one recent study found that “conspiracy theorists” are actually more sane than the general population. So the next time you are tempted to dismiss someone as a “conspiracy theorist”, just remember that the one that is crazy might actually be you. The following are 16 popular conspiracy theories that turned out to be true…

http://www.zengardne...out-to-be-true/

Popular conspiracy theories? With who - the David Icke Wing of the Tin Foil Hat Brigade? Tripe more like it. And their definition of being "true" is tenuous, at best.

• Like 1

Popular conspiracy theories? With who - the David Icke Wing of the Tin Foil Hat Brigade? Tripe more like it. And their definition of being "true" is tenuous, at best.

People that are not afraid to look at what is really going on. Some people see the elephant in the room most do not and are scared to. This is a fear base society we live in.

• Like 1

In the case of 911, we are all conspiracy theorists. One either believes in the official conspiracy theory, or in some alternative conspiracy theory.

• Like 1