Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Archaeologists to extract sarcophagus

Still Waters

Archaeologists have uncovered a stone sarcophagus thought to contain someone 'terribly important'.

The sarcophagus was unearthed while the castle was being refurbished so that a new center to house the Magna Carta could be built.

Source: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/253417/ancient-sarcophagus-found-at-lincoln-castle

• Like 3

I was reading about this this morning. (or should that be "I was reading this morning about this"?)

Sounds interesting! Hope it's an old Saxon King. :yes:

Nothing more interesting than disturbing the remains of the dead just out of curiosity.

Universal Horror movies have taught me there is no way this can possibly go wrong.

• Like 6

I was reading about this this morning. (or should that be "I was reading this morning about this"?)

Sounds interesting! Hope it's an old Saxon King. :yes:

If it's a king, a quick wander through my notes brings up about eight possibilities from around AD900. I shall follow this with interest.

Nothing more interesting than disturbing the remains of the dead just out of curiosity.

Perhaps nobody has been buried long enough in your part of the world to be considered interesting!

• Like 2

Universal Horror movies have taught me there is no way this can possibly go wrong.

Of course nothing can go wrong!

I understand the sarcophagus is to be moved, after careful and arduous planning, next month - Friday 13th Sep 2013. :mellow:

Edited by Leonardo
  • Like 3

I live in Lincoln, have done all my life and there is a huge amount of history here thanks to the Cathedral, Castle and also the huge links to Roman Britain here.

On a separate and slightly amusing note.... it is also the place that caused the downfall of the UK TV show Most Haunted, when the crew came to Lincoln Prison (located in the very same castle as this article) for a Live show, and the "Psychic" with them (who was relatively new) claimed after the show finished that it was all fake and the team were deliberately making up false information, information that was completely contradicting all that he was "picking up".

He refused to take part on the show again ( or sacked depending on whether you believe his statement or theirs) amid a public outcry on social media, and the show never returned after it.

• Like 5

Mmmmmmm vampire........... imprisoned zombie................satan

I live in Lincoln, have done all my life and there is a huge amount of history here thanks to the Cathedral, Castle and also the huge links to Roman Britain here.

On a separate and slightly amusing note.... it is also the place that caused the downfall of the UK TV show Most Haunted, when the crew came to Lincoln Prison (located in the very same castle as this article) for a Live show, and the "Psychic" with them (who was relatively new) claimed after the show finished that it was all fake and the team were deliberately making up false information, information that was completely contradicting all that he was "picking up".

He refused to take part on the show again ( or sacked depending on whether you believe his statement or theirs) amid a public outcry on social media, and the show never returned after it.

Go to Youtube and catch the infamous 'Mary loves Dick' incident! It should serve as an epitaph for every programme of its type!

Perhaps nobody has been buried long enough in your part of the world to be considered interesting!

Ever notice though?... many people seem to get much more interesting long after they are buried, than they were before? ;

Ever notice though?... many people seem to get much more interesting long after they are buried, than they were before? ;

Of course. Why would you need to exhume the body of a person your Grandfather would have known?

I'm pretty certain the dead don't care. ;)

Just depends on your religious beliefs. Bad mojo in some. :su

Of course nothing can go wrong!

I understand the sarcophagus is to be moved, after careful and arduous planning, next month - Friday 13th Sep 2013. :mellow:

Watch out for Jason! :yes:

It's the remains of King Arthur clutching the holy grail, buried in the arc of the covenant, placed in the sarcophagus.

The real Mona Lisa buried it, so be ready for the Davinci code 2, it's true it said so on the internet ;-)

• Like 1