Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Willpower Is All in Your Head, Study Suggests

Still Waters

Willpower may be plentiful — as long as you believe it is.

People who consider willpower a finite resource tend to need a sugar pick-me-up to continue working on a hard task, whereas those who believe willpower is abundant don't, new research suggests. Moreover, nudging people's beliefs about willpower in one direction or the other can influence how they behave.

http://www.livescien...e-resource.html

• Like 2

Ah my old friend Will Power,he stopped me from smoking and I didn't need a sugar boost, these studies that keep coming up are a hoot,you tell yourself to exercise self control.and if you can't do that you have no control.I wish they wouild stop wasting time,money and resources and do something beneficial.

• Like 2

That's not true; I've seen photos:

mh8m.png

• Like 4

Virtually anything can be real in your head if you believe in it enough..

Even if the reality in your mind that you create is a mirage..

So long as you believe in it, you empower it.

• Like 3

This is good information. So, all we have to do is believe that will-power cannot end and it can be infinite and going on forever and then we will have an unlimited source of will power.

I never thought of this before. Subconsciously, I believed that will-power can "run out".

The power of the will is magical and unlimited.

It's the same with people with limited beliefs..

they think they have NO power or will....

Then were are some so self empowered they think they can reach any goal or dream..

being in that state of mind and being..

they will have a better chance at reaching their dream..

• Like 2

okay im going to practish my mind for an unlimited power ! maybe than i can run non stop !

Then were are some so self empowered they think they can reach any goal or dream..

being in that state of mind and being..

they will have a better chance at reaching their dream..

Celebrities and multi-million/billion dollar tycoons make motivational videos and speeches stating this time and time again as the key to their success. Unfortunately, it's not easy to be this motivated. I guess it's just about changing your mind; not the easiest thing to do.

• Like 1

Placebo has already been proven, this was a pretty obvious conjencture to me. You can use willpower to even heal yourself, faith healing, if it's abundant enough. For that you need belief though, and no one can give you a quarantee of success but yourself. I've always believed you can regenerate willpower, or that at least I can, and it has worked for me. Did decently in sports in my teens and still keep up at work now... the next big challenge is to carry this 100kg washing machine 1km, takes more than willpower that. Cant lift the bloody thing now. I guess if you had more Aries influence you could stretch your muscles more powerful than what they "really" are. If you're a student of astrology you'll have reason to believe your chart has everything to do with what kind of willpower you can exactly use easier.

Am wondering where they thought strength of will came from before they did the study. One's buttocks?

Am wondering where they thought strength of will came from before they did the study. One's buttocks?

Well I guess the guys who study this useless info speak from there.
  • Like 1

Isn't it more likely that everyone is different? Some 'naturally' have almost unlimited willpower, others really struggle to maintain even a little. No one is 'right' or 'wrong', it's just the way they are.

• Like 1

Willpower: I believe I can fly...splat. No, seriously, I'll remember that the next time I reach for that doughnut after doing hard work like walking into the kitchen.

• Like 1