Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Religion as a Fashion Accessory

AtlantisRises

It's the opposite for me. Only a select few in my life know how I really believe. It's very personal for me. I also have a business that I work intimately with a lot of different cultures and their children. In someways since my area is so diverse most people simply don't talk about their spiritual beliefs. It's sort of a we will all get along if we don't ask and don't tell policy. This suits me just fine. Occasionally a Christian will want to qualify me. It usually goes like this.

Do you believe in Christ?

I certainly do. ( I do think Jesus was a real man)

Do accept that he is lord and savior and god in the flesh on the earth?

Yup. ( he is lord and savior for many.... And I believe we are all an aspect of god in he flesh upon the earth) ... So yeah

Do you believe that the bible is the word of god?

Yeah. ( I think a television commercial can be a communication from the Divine )

I Guess to answer the ops question.... Yes I am guilty of it a bit. Especially with my in laws.

A marine I know served in Iraq. He is an atheist. He was told that if any Iraqis asked him what religion he belonged to, just say "Christian". Very few people there have any concept of a person not belonging to a religion. He was surprised that his religious affiliation was often one of the first questions people asked when he met them. They were worried that he might be Jewish and they couldn't talk to him any more.

Things are better here.

• 2 weeks later...

Wwe live in a time, at least in the United States, that to actually 'be' of a certain faith, it is necessary to actually know what it teaches etc. Cultural faith, being carried by the majority worked in the past, but now, well I don't think it does.

Practical Atheism has always been strong, people who say they believe in God, but actually the reality of God is unimportant to them. They use their temples, chrurches etc, for marriages, burials and baptisms. The are perhaps unthinking athiest, I prefer those that think. Much more interesting.

Peace

mark

Wwe live in a time, at least in the United States, that to actually 'be' of a certain faith, it is necessary to actually know what it teaches etc. Cultural faith, being carried by the majority worked in the past, but now, well I don't think it does.

Practical Atheism has always been strong, people who say they believe in God, but actually the reality of God is unimportant to them. They use their temples, chrurches etc, for marriages, burials and baptisms. The are perhaps unthinking athiest, I prefer those that think. Much more interesting.

Peace

mark

• 4 weeks later...

Religious symbols make literally good fashion accessories. I have seen a lot of cross print tops lately, along with mustaches.

I think Wicca and Paganism are hella cool though. For the aesthetic. I would love to learn more about them.

I think what's more important than what religion someone says they are is whether or not they are a decent person... either way we all have to get along at the end of the day..