Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
petermattson

The disappearance of Charles Gazzam Hurd.

208 posts in this topic

petermattson
23 minutes ago, Regi said:

Where did it disappear from sight? And why am I even having to ask that question?

I don't have that info. It appears to be from an eye witness quoted in a contemporary Time article (behind a paywall).

Regi
22 hours ago, petermattson said:

I've found very little on his older brother Arthur Hurd but he does show up in the 1940 census with a family and 2 servants in NYC.

There was no mention of a brother in that engagement announcement.

• Like 1

Regi
11 minutes ago, petermattson said:

I don't have that info. It appears to be from an eye witness quoted in a contemporary Time article (behind a paywall).

I'm not convinced that it was an eye-witness account.

petermattson
9 minutes ago, Regi said:

There was no mention of a brother in that engagement announcement.

That's certainly an interesting observation!

• Thanks 1

Regi

Here's info re: Whitfield that I haven't yet come across elsewhere, that is, info from his brother that he'd left his home after a quarrel with his wife, but unfortunate for me, since I don't have a subscription to the NYT, I can only read what's available at this link: https://www.nytimes.com/1938/04/21/archives/whitfield-dispute-with-wife-is-bared-left-home-thursday-night-and.html

Edited by Regi

Regi

^ That article reports that he left the airport on a Friday, but April 17 wasn't a Friday, it was a Sunday...

One other comment, to characterize the search as "hunted by the police in eight states" comes across as though he's some sort of a fugitive. :td:

Vincennes

^  I actually joined the NYT and pulled a lot of these old articles.  I don't know whether or not they can still be opened but the one you're referring to is back in the old thread.   LOL  Now there's a challenge and if one should go back and find it, NYT has probably timed it out and it won't open anyway !

Regi
On 10/13/2018 at 10:09 AM, Vincennes said:

^  I actually joined the NYT and pulled a lot of these old articles. 

Well, (I don't know why this has just now occurred to me, but...) next time I'm at my public library, I'll go online and access the newspaperarchive site. :tsu:

Edited by Regi
  • Like 1