Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hospital installs pirate-themed CT-scanner

Still Waters

A New York children's hospital recently purchased a a pirate-themed CT scanner to make the medical tests less of a 'horrible, scary chore'.

Child patients lay down on a mock plank which then slides into the scanner, a hoop in the shape of a ship's wheel. Swash-buckling pirate animals decorate the walls to distract the children from the test.

GE provided the scanner to New York-Presbyterian Morgan Stanley Children's Hospital, and gave the hospital two choices for a child theme - fish or pirates - sparking a heated debate among the staff.

http://www.dailymail...ttle-scary.html

Brilliant!!...well done them!! Those scanners are daunting even for adults.

• Like 5

Brilliant!!...well done them!! Those scanners are daunting even for adults.

I agree! (seriously... they make me helluva anxious)

Next time I'm at hospital I'm gonna drop a note in the suggestion box asking for bossom themed scanners.

• Like 3

Next time I'm at hospital I'm gonna drop a note in the suggestion box asking for bossom themed scanners.

You'll be lucky! :lol:

• Like 2

I just had to have a CT last month. Next time, I want to use that one. Don't put me head in there mate! Claustrophobic. Wanted to grab the top and pull out. :passifier:

• Like 2

Imagine your job being convincing people not only to go into a narrow tube that makes lots of very loud, strange noises but to also BE COMPLETELY STILL... About 1 in 10 just say no - almost all children have to be given a sedative. At least with CT the scans is fast - seconds... in MRI it's usually 20 minutes minimum.

• Like 4

Imagine your job being convincing people not only to go into a narrow tube that makes lots of very loud, strange noises but to also BE COMPLETELY STILL... About 1 in 10 just say no - almost all children have to be given a sedative. At least with CT the scans is fast - seconds... in MRI it's usually 20 minutes minimum.

I still remember being strapped in some blue thing to get my chin stitched up when I was little. Having been in a CT, I can imagine how freaked out I would have been as a child.

• Like 3

I'd be in serious trouble, well...no...the tech would be in serious trouble. They'd have to sedate me because I'd freak. Thankfully, I've only had one MRI and that was on my knee. Only my leg was in a machine, for 45 minutes. I sat on a chair reading a magazine. The CT tech told me to stay still, I wouldn't go all the way in, but it just looked like the rim of the CT came awfully close to my face. Too close for comfort for me.

• Like 3

What a fantastic idea for the kids! Hopefully, it'll catch on. Funny, I don't mind being in an MRI. I was in one a few weeks ago for a brain scan, and almost fell asleep.

With me they told me to hold my breath a few times and when to let go. I also had dye injected into my arm so it would show up on the CT scan, and before I even got that far I had to drink a jug full of something (iodine mixed with fruit juice and water) so it would show up on the scan too. The most awkward part not counting having to drink such a lot of that foul tasting stuff, was not being allowed to go for a pee until I'd had the scan. I was waiting around for hours!

Edited by Still Waters
  • Like 1