Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

My dog vs. "something" on video

Pssst

Let me give you some background information on this video. I was in my normal morning routine. I had already made my coffee, picked up the house (everything back in its place), had the dryer running (background noise) and was relaxing in front of my laptop chatting with a friend. My husband and kids were upstairs sleeping. This is the only time my dog has done this. I'm not necessarily suggesting it is "anything" to you at this point, because of course you will scrutinize for yourselves. You can hear my one hand typing to my friend, I was telling her about what the dog was doing and she encouraged me to record it for her. I was in the mindset that he was behaving strange and had no idea what was going on, I shushed him once because his bark is LOUD and I didn't want him to wake up everyone in the house. However; as the video progressed I became more curious of his behavior so I allowed it. I was completely oblivious of the first two noises in the video (my guess is that my attention was on the computer, and often I have "house settling" noises that I am used to hearing.)

I can't PROVE my honesty, but I gain nothing by lying or misleading you. So ... #1 if I knew I would be putting this video out there I would have prevented myself from sounding so stupid when talking to my dog. #2 There was absolutely NOTHING in the other room. If there was a person, my sweet dog would be playing with them as he is in no way skittish (of people or other dogs.) #3 If my dog felt threatened, his behavior would have reflected alert ears, hair standing up and overall intensity before barking. #4 If the "something" in question was a bug, he would have been "baying" at it (BAAAAOOOOOO) as Beagles do. #4 You can only trust when I tell you I didn't throw anything into the other room to create the noises he barked at.

By the height of the "something" (from the way my dog looks up at it), it could be one of two things: "something" the size of a child standing around the corner or "something" sitting in the recliner chair. I didn't think at the time to get up and video the area, so for that ... my apologies. If you want another video of my dog just showing his general behavior, that I can do.

Noises at:

:46

1:42

2:43

2:48

Enjoy! (I tried to put this on youtube, but now you are required to give them your cell phone number and I'm not cool with that.)

http://s198.photobuc...G_2268.mp4.html

Edited by Pssst
  • Like 1

Your dog was definitely spooked by something, but I couldn't see or hear anything. From the angle where your dog was looking, it seemed like whatever it is was just out of camera range. Maybe it was something only the dog could see and hear.

Edited by brlesq1
  • Like 1

@ Pssst: I see it! At 2:38 a firefly-entity flies across from left to right. It reminded me of this phenomenon

Thanks for sharing

Edited by NatureBoff
  • Like 1

all I heard was a clock.

Cute dog, but I did not see anything, especially at 2:38. Does your home have any history of odd occurrences or noises?

Edited by phantasia

If my dog reactd like this I would've gone to investigate. Your dog first could hear and smell something, then appeared frightened in the next clip. Wary of going back in the next room but why didn't you go and see what it was?

• Like 1

If my dog reactd like this I would've gone to investigate. Your dog first could hear and smell something, then appeared frightened in the next clip. Wary of going back in the next room but why didn't you go and see what it was?

That would have been the first thing I would have done - or at least scan the other room with the camera so viewers could be assured that there wasn't any funny business going on - person hiding behind the low wall, etc.

• Like 2

Let me give you some background information on this video. I was in my normal morning routine. I had already made my coffee, picked up the house (everything back in its place), had the dryer running (background noise) and was relaxing in front of my laptop chatting with a friend. My husband and kids were upstairs sleeping. This is the only time my dog has done this. I'm not necessarily suggesting it is "anything" to you at this point, because of course you will scrutinize for yourselves. You can hear my one hand typing to my friend, I was telling her about what the dog was doing and she encouraged me to record it for her. I was in the mindset that he was behaving strange and had no idea what was going on, I shushed him once because his bark is LOUD and I didn't want him to wake up everyone in the house. However; as the video progressed I became more curious of his behavior so I allowed it. I was completely oblivious of the first two noises in the video (my guess is that my attention was on the computer, and often I have "house settling" noises that I am used to hearing.)

I can't PROVE my honesty, but I gain nothing by lying or misleading you. So ... #1 if I knew I would be putting this video out there I would have prevented myself from sounding so stupid when talking to my dog. #2 There was absolutely NOTHING in the other room. If there was a person, my sweet dog would be playing with them as he is in no way skittish (of people or other dogs.) #3 If my dog felt threatened, his behavior would have reflected alert ears, hair standing up and overall intensity before barking. #4 If the "something" in question was a bug, he would have been "baying" at it (BAAAAOOOOOO) as Beagles do. #4 You can only trust when I tell you I didn't throw anything into the other room to create the noises he barked at.

By the height of the "something" (from the way my dog looks up at it), it could be one of two things: "something" the size of a child standing around the corner or "something" sitting in the recliner chair. I didn't think at the time to get up and video the area, so for that ... my apologies. If you want another video of my dog just showing his general behavior, that I can do.

Noises at:

:46

1:42

2:43

2:48

Enjoy! (I tried to put this on youtube, but now you are required to give them your cell phone number and I'm not cool with that.)

http://s198.photobuc...G_2268.mp4.html

Why did you not step up from your table, It is apparent what is going on there...LOL

I didn't get up and investigate b/c I was curious how long he would continue on and I was afraid I would ruin the experience. I did turn the camera off and get up to see, because he wanted to go outside (there is a doggie door) but something was preventing him from wanting to go in the other room. I had only planned on showing the video to my friend, and she trusts that I am not lying to her. That's why I didn't go the extra mile to investigate, and also I had just came from that room (out of the kitchen) to sit down so I know nothing was out of place. There's really nothing else I can say about the matter.

My house is on a civil war battlefield, there have been other unrelated multiple deaths within a mile of my home as well (at least 60, including a plane crash.) I'm the type of person that doesn't like to mess with ghosts. I have stated out loud (and when I'm alone) that if there are spirits there, they are welcome to stay on condition they do not scare anyone in the home (of course I didn't say it when we adopted this dog last March.)

As far as the sounds I indicated ... they were the sound of a tap or crack. Almost like house settling noises (among the dryer.)

My two dogs just did the same thing after hearing this video. I can also get my dogs ( and former dogs ) to do this.

Why did you not go in there?

Why did you go " woof " at the beginning?

You can freak dogs out into thinking someone is coming home, or someone is at the door. Dogs get anxious and scared also.

Dogs can sense when you are nervous, or think someone is around. I have done this to my dogs before.

How many people use that slider door to come in, and I would bet he / she barks when people come in. I would also bet this little guy gets upset when things are out of place. ( a bag placed on a table that is not usually there ).

Edited by Sakari
  • Like 3

I didn't get up and investigate b/c I was curious how long he would continue on and I was afraid I would ruin the experience. I did turn the camera off and get up to see, because he wanted to go outside (there is a doggie door) but something was preventing him from wanting to go in the other room. I had only planned on showing the video to my friend, and she trusts that I am not lying to her. That's why I didn't go the extra mile to investigate, and also I had just came from that room (out of the kitchen) to sit down so I know nothing was out of place. There's really nothing else I can say about the matter.

My house is on a civil war battlefield, there have been other unrelated multiple deaths within a mile of my home as well (at least 60, including a plane crash.) I'm the type of person that doesn't like to mess with ghosts. I have stated out loud (and when I'm alone) that if there are spirits there, they are welcome to stay on condition they do not scare anyone in the home (of course I didn't say it when we adopted this dog last March.)

As far as the sounds I indicated ... they were the sound of a tap or crack. Almost like house settling noises (among the dryer.)

Thanks for the explanation. But since you decided not to investigate further and document that on video, then there's really nothing more to talk about. It's a cool video, but really it shows nothing due to how easily it could have been faked.

I understand your sentiment, and everyone is entitled to their own opinion on the matter. I thought it was interesting and wanted to share it with people are interested in this sort of thing. My apologies that it was so candid, "non-professional" and basically a waste of your time.

Edited by Pssst

Why did you not go in there? ...... Already explained.

Why did you go " woof " at the beginning? ...... I said "What?"

I understand your sentiment, and everyone is entitled to their own opinion on the matter. I thought it was interesting and wanted to share it with people are interested in this sort of thing. My apologies that it was so candid, "non-professional" and basically a waste of your time.

This was not a waste of time. Not many people bother to film things, so thank you for that. This is interesting, and is helpful to others. I am glad you shared it, and wish others would also.

Please do not feel you wasted peoples times, you did not.

Why did you not go in there? ...... Already explained.

Why did you go " woof " at the beginning? ...... I said "What?"

At 4 seconds sounds like you say " woof "...

• Like 1

Those are your words, not mine.

The video is certainly not a waste of time, it's simply inconclusive.

I can only assume you would post it in a forum such as this because you think it is some kind of "evidence" of the paranormal. I simply stated that it's not due to the fact that what it shows could be so easily faked.

• Like 1

Reminds me of the time I was housesitting for my neighbour and his Yorkshire Terrier went ******* mental and ran outside and spent five minutes just barking like crazy at nothing. That dog went freaking nuts. I have no idea what it was barking at, but it's behaviour was freakier than the OP's dog and to this day I don't what it was snapping at. It just stood there on the grass braking like a crazy thing at nothing.

• Like 1

My basset puppy does this stuff all the time. I assume she's hearing a bug thats really high pitched, or got into my neighbors meth again

• Like 2

In the 14 years i had my beagle she acted like this more than a few times, the one time that stands out the most was one evening she climbed out of her bed, walked to the center of the living room, stood up on her hind legs and walked in a circle sniffing the air (similar to if you were holding a treat above her head), this went on for a good 30 seconds or so, and while and impressive feat of balance was also quite odd. It was the one and only time it ever happened and i still shug my shoulders to this day as to why. I've owned quite a few different breeds of dogs in my time and my beagle was the only one that ever acted this way.

• Like 1

The videos and experiences that scare me the most are the ones where animals are reacting to something that the human eye can't see. Liiiike this one. I know a lot of dogs have a tendency to bark randomly when they think they hear little noises, but it's rare to see a dog unwilling to enter a room and jump around all skittish like yours did.

That makes a lot of sense for something to be in your house with that kind of history behind it. Animals are much more sensitive to things like that, as well as children, or at least so I'm told.

But hey, if there is something in your home then at least it's not scaring everyone or hurting anybody. :)

• Like 3

I think it is an interesting video. Your dog is definitely looking "up" at something at people head height. However, I don't know you and I do not believe in ghosts, so I can only offer guesses from my own experience when I watch it.

Your dog gets upset, then it subsides (and repeats). It reminds me more of a game, the same game/reaction our dogs used to play/have with our cats. If they came across one of our cats hiding around a corner or up on a shelf or table. Especially if the cat swipes at the dog with its paws. The dog startles, acts upset and barks or growls. But they aren't going to attack our cat so it ends there. They know they can't chase the cat if it was up on something.

It is just odd that your dog's interest wanes but then reignites when it looks up around the wall. Like it's a cat scaring him because he wants to go out but doesn't want to pass the swatting/glaring/sleeping cat.

And she barks to alert you to do something to help her get outside. I've seen this exact scene play out many times in my home.

You say there is a dog door around that lower wall? Don't you hear outside noises through it? I know we always could through ours. And it would be a good sized one for your dog.

Does anything ever come in through your dog door? We've always had them and an occasional critter has come through a time or two.

And I know, I know, you do not have a cat or other pets. But we strangers over the internet need more to reach any kind of conclusion, paranormal or otherwise.

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 1

You really should go investigate next time. It could have been some whacked out maniacal face eating stoner zombie. I don't think the experience is as valuable as the message your dog is trying to send you.... bark + fearful body language = something is not right, please check.

• Like 1

I had a cocker spaniel that would sometimes race up & down the hall and into my bedroom, giving the appearance of chasing something. It was more of a romp than anything. And this dog was a slug, all he wanted to do was sit in my lap or on my feet, but every now & then, off he'd go, ears flapping. After he crossed over, my cat, who was essentially raised by the dog, would do the same thing; don't know if she was reacting to the same stimulus, or just copying the dog's behavior. Could have been high pitched sounds, critters on the roof (coons, possums, wood rats, birds), only the animals knew.

I think it is an interesting video. Your dog is definitely looking "up" at something at people head height. However, I don't know you and I do not believe in ghosts, so I can only offer guesses from my own experience when I watch it.

Your dog gets upset, then it subsides (and repeats). It reminds me more of a game, the same game/reaction our dogs used to play/have with our cats. If they came across one of our cats hiding around a corner or up on a shelf or table. Especially if the cat swipes at the dog with its paws. The dog startles, acts upset and barks or growls. But they aren't going to attack our cat so it ends there. They know they can't chase the cat if it was up on something.

It is just odd that your dog's interest wanes but then reignites when it looks up around the wall. Like it's a cat scaring him because he wants to go out but doesn't want to pass the swatting/glaring/sleeping cat.

And she barks to alert you to do something to help her get outside. I've seen this exact scene play out many times in my home.

You say there is a dog door around that lower wall? Don't you hear outside noises through it? I know we always could through ours. And it would be a good sized one for your dog.

Does anything ever come in through your dog door? We've always had them and an occasional critter has come through a time or two.

And I know, I know, you do not have a cat or other pets. But we strangers over the internet need more to reach any kind of conclusion, paranormal or otherwise.

The dog door is one of those glass inserts that you put inside the sliding glass door leading outside (this way you can have a dog door without punching a hole in actual wall of the home.) We luckily have not had any furry critters come into the house at night, but that's because I put the barracade (what else to call it?) in the dog door. So he's looking the right direction to go outside. The only thing directly behind the low wall is the recliner chair, a small table and another chair.

I understand skepticism of the internet community. No problem there. He hasn't behaved this way since that incident. I have had a few experiences in my home, none of which I think are a big deal because I can always make up some excuse for it to be something else. When we first moved to this home, I would sit on the couch (other side of the low wall, facing where I am sitting in the video) and see what looked like someone peeping over the wall. Just a dark mass. My kids were really young at that age and I actually thought it was one of them doing it (but when I would go to look, b/c they would get in trouble for getting out of bed .... there was no one there.) In the same spot, I would also see what looked to be someone peeping over the stair banisters ... like as to check if I am sitting there.

I only have had one indicident that frightened me. I remember I had just put the kids to bed (this is shortly after moving into this home), I went out onto the back patio to take a breath of fresh air and calm down mentally (b/c toddlers require you to do that from time to time.) I took in a great big breath, and let it out. Then I heard someone do it right beside me. I honestly thought there was some psycho killer nearby and I ran back into the house.

When my youngest was about 5 he drew a picture of himself ... a line ... and then someone else. I asked him what it was. He said he was playing guns with the man behind the fence. I asked if the man behind the fence was one of our neighbors (insert names here.) He said he didn't know who it was. My eyes got a little wide, thinking there is some strange pedo creeping around our yard. The liklihood of that is slim to none, but possible. So I asked if the man was nice, and he said "yes."

I did have a friend over once, who claims she is sensitive. She told me she would see someone move from the bathroom to the laundry. I think you can see that area from the video ... basically above the countertop.

I'm not saying I wholeheartedly believe all those experiences above were paranormal. They lead that direction, but nonetheless I've been in this house for 8 years now and have adapted to the "sounds" as normal house sounds.

• Like 2

The dog door is one of those glass inserts that you put inside the sliding glass door leading outside (this way you can have a dog door without punching a hole in actual wall of the home.) We luckily have not had any furry critters come into the house at night, but that's because I put the barracade (what else to call it?) in the dog door. So he's looking the right direction to go outside. The only thing directly behind the low wall is the recliner chair, a small table and another chair.

I understand skepticism of the internet community. No problem there. He hasn't behaved this way since that incident. I have had a few experiences in my home, none of which I think are a big deal because I can always make up some excuse for it to be something else. When we first moved to this home, I would sit on the couch (other side of the low wall, facing where I am sitting in the video) and see what looked like someone peeping over the wall. Just a dark mass. My kids were really young at that age and I actually thought it was one of them doing it (but when I would go to look, b/c they would get in trouble for getting out of bed .... there was no one there.) In the same spot, I would also see what looked to be someone peeping over the stair banisters ... like as to check if I am sitting there.

I only have had one indicident that frightened me. I remember I had just put the kids to bed (this is shortly after moving into this home), I went out onto the back patio to take a breath of fresh air and calm down mentally (b/c toddlers require you to do that from time to time.) I took in a great big breath, and let it out. Then I heard someone do it right beside me. I honestly thought there was some psycho killer nearby and I ran back into the house.

When my youngest was about 5 he drew a picture of himself ... a line ... and then someone else. I asked him what it was. He said he was playing guns with the man behind the fence. I asked if the man behind the fence was one of our neighbors (insert names here.) He said he didn't know who it was. My eyes got a little wide, thinking there is some strange pedo creeping around our yard. The liklihood of that is slim to none, but possible. So I asked if the man was nice, and he said "yes."

I did have a friend over once, who claims she is sensitive. She told me she would see someone move from the bathroom to the laundry. I think you can see that area from the video ... basically above the countertop.

I'm not saying I wholeheartedly believe all those experiences above were paranormal. They lead that direction, but nonetheless I've been in this house for 8 years now and have adapted to the "sounds" as normal house sounds.

In this day and age, I think a bit of paranoia is a healthy thing. Whether this or any future experiences are of the paranormal you may never know for sure but it will be for the best to make sure it's not of the "crazy people" kind; of which there are endless accounts.

Next time your dog does that, please get up and check the area, if only to appease some paranoid stranger from the internet! lol! It will be good to know there is not a burglar or other live whackadoo skulking around outside. :)

• Like 3