Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Ten Cannots

MiskatonicGrad

Don't know if these were ever posted here before. A doctor sent these to the local paper in 1993 and they print them every year. the doctor attributed them to Lincoln but it has never been proven.

1. You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.

2. You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.

3. You cannot help little men by tearing down big men.

4. You cannot lift the wage earner by pulling down the wage payer.

5. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich.

6. you cannot establish sound security on borrowed money.

7. You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred.

8. You cannot keep out of trouble by spending more than you earn.

9. You cannot build character and courage by destroying men's initiative and independence.

10. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they can and should do for themselves.

how many can you find that the last 4 administrations didn't break?

• Like 4

I don't know about the last 4 administrations, but all but three commandments seem to me to be about protecting the rich.

• Like 6

I didn't think Ayn Rand lived until 1993. I can agree, for those who are just and build wealth and business not just for themselves but for those they employ and empower. When it comes to the Investment banking industry that had caused three recessions since 1980, funded Pinochet and laundered Cartel money, they deserve to be torn down. A criminal is no less a criminal because he buttered the palms of politicians and economists.

• Like 3

There is some basic truths in those things...I always liked this quote...it's on par...

churchillontaxes_zps76781e08.jpg

I know many are going to say it is about protecting the wealthy...I can understand why they might think that but it's more simple than that...it's about protecting people's ability and desire to be inventive and creative...to show ingenuity and entrepreneurship. Once the reasons to want to do those things are stripped away, we are screwed.

New products and markets rise and old ones fall and money is recirculated...it's when the benefit of creating a new market or product has been squeeze and limited and the rewards nearly stripped that cause the problems...

and yes, now that the world banking organizations pretty much have their hands in everything...I have a feeling that competition for anyone they consider a pet or a prime profit source...will be limited...

• Like 4

I don't know about the last 4 administrations, but all but three commandments seem to me to be about protecting the rich.

Yeah I know a lot of wisdom in there. Just take your time and digest it slowly. you'll get there.

I dont know about Lincoln. Abolishing slavery seems counter productive to 2-5

"Let them eat cake"- Marie Antoinette

Posted Today, 08:48 PM

snapback.pngStarMountainKid, on 26 August 2013 - 07:06 PM, said:

Yeah I know a lot of wisdom in there. Just take your time and digest it slowly. you'll get there.

I stand by my comment. As the rich get richer and corporate profits rise, what happens to average American's income?

post-50472-0-91885400-1377571254_thumb.j

post-50472-0-67587000-1377571890_thumb.j

Edited by StarMountainKid
  • Like 1

Should be number 1.

• Like 3

I stand by my comment. As the rich get richer and corporate profits rise, what happens to average American's income?

That’s a “it depends”. It’s all within the power of the individual. If you consider yourself a victim, then you will remain as such. If you realize your GOD given Right and power, then you join the ranks of the wealthy. It’s really quite simple, it all depends on how hard you are willing to work and build something for yourself.

• Like 4

That's a "it depends". It's all within the power of the individual. If you consider yourself a victim, then you will remain as such. If you realize your GOD given Right and power, then you join the ranks of the wealthy. It's really quite simple, it all depends on how hard you are willing to work and build something for yourself.

I think that is a simplistic and naive view. There has never been anything like a level playing field in America

I think that is a simplistic and naive view. There has never been anything like a level playing field in America

Simplistic yes, I would agree but not naïve. Whoever said that there has to be a level playing field? We are Human Beings, designed to adapt and overcome. To struggle and thrive. Not to have things handed to us and be nannyied.

• Like 3

That’s a “it depends”. It’s all within the power of the individual. If you consider yourself a victim, then you will remain as such. If you realize your GOD given Right and power, then you join the ranks of the wealthy. It’s really quite simple, it all depends on how hard you are willing to work and build something for yourself.

While you are on the journey building it for yourself, you will run into people that will help you and in turn you will help others. This is the heart of Smith’s “Invisible Hand”. Even in our own selfishness, we help one another.

Simplistic yes, I would agree but not naïve. Whoever said that there has to be a level playing field? We are Human Beings, designed to adapt and overcome. To struggle and thrive. Not to have things handed to us and be nannyied.

No one is asking for things to be handed to them but for the rich to whine about being taxed to feed the poor irks me especially when they don't mind coming to the gov't with their hats in their hands looking for huge bailouts when their greed blows up in their faces
  • Like 1

"Let them eat cake"- Marie Antoinette

Perhaps the most famous quote to never have been said by the person to whom the quote is attributed.

IMO it is right up there with: “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

Sadly "I can see Russia from my house" - Sarah Palin, is gaining fast.

• Like 1

No one is asking for things to be handed to them but for the rich to whine about being taxed to feed the poor irks me especially when they don't mind coming to the gov't with their hats in their hands looking for huge bailouts when their greed blows up in their faces

No one is asking for things to be handed to them? Really? No one? Not one person? Surely even you don't believe that.

• Like 1

Don't know if these were ever posted here before. A doctor sent these to the local paper in 1993 and they print them every year. the doctor attributed them to Lincoln but it has never been proven.

1. You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.

2. You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.

3. You cannot help little men by tearing down big men.

4. You cannot lift the wage earner by pulling down the wage payer.

5. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich.

7. You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred.

8. You cannot keep out of trouble by spending more than you earn.

9. You cannot build character and courage by destroying men's initiative and independence.

10. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they can and should do for themselves.

how many can you find that the last 4 administrations didn't break?

This all sounds marvellous for a society in which greed doesn't exist, fairness abounds and people respect one another to the point of humility.

Some of the 'admonitions' are fairly obvious general truths - such as 6 and below. The rest rely on the goodness of Man's heart, to have any worth.

Edited by Leonardo
  • Like 3

Perhaps the most famous quote to never have been said by the person to whom the quote is attributed.

IMO it is right up there with: “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

Very true but certainly examples of what they might have said if they had thought of them.(Based on attitudes they displayed)

This all sounds marvellous for a society in which greed doesn't exist, fairness abounds and people respect one another to the point of humility.

Some of the 'admonitions' are fairly obvious general truths - such as 6 and below. The rest rely on the goodness of Man's heart, to have any worth.

Sounds like La-La Land

No one is asking for things to be handed to them? Really? No one? Not one person? Surely even you don't believe that.

You said that when you said you don't like the rich complaining about feeding the poor. To break that down, tax the rich(take their money) and hand it down to those without. How is that not asking for something to be handed down?

And the field is as unlevel as you want it to be. It is up to individual ambition and desire. It is always level in that nobody can stop you from having those things, as per our Bill of Rights. The Statue of Liberty plaque says to give US your tired, hungry, sick and poor. It doesn't say give them to US and they will be given a great life. What it means is give them to US and the will have all the opportunity their ambition desires.

It is not the responsibility of the successful to take care of those who aren't. Welfare and government dependency programs have not lifted society. Those things have infected society and infection are contagious. Just look to your nearest inner city. The infection breeds laziness and dependency, never prosperity. The crime, run down homes and closed businesses are a direct result of Robin Hood policies.

If you have a problem with the rich and 'all they get away with' you ought to take it up with politicians. It is they who set the rules.

EDIT: Sorry Bama, not focused clearly. We are on the same page and I thought I was responding to space cowboy denying the claim that no one has asked for a hand down.

Edited by F3SS
  • Like 3

You said that when you said you don't like the rich complaining about feeding the poor. To break that down, tax the rich(take their money) and hand it down to those without. How is that not asking for something to be handed down?

And the field is as unlevel as you want it to be. It is up to individual ambition and desire. It is always level in that nobody can stop you from having those things, as per our Bill of Rights. The Statue of Liberty plaque says to give US your tired, hungry, sick and poor. It doesn't say give them to US and they will be given a great life. What it means is give them to US and the will have all the opportunity their ambition desires.

It is not the responsibility of the successful to take care of those who aren't. Welfare and government dependency programs have not lifted society. Those things have infected society and infection are contagious. Just look to your nearest inner city. The infection breeds laziness and dependency, never prosperity. The crime, run down homes and closed businesses are a direct result of Robin Hood policies.

If you have a problem with the rich and 'all they get away with' you ought to take it up with politicians. It is they who set the rules.

EDIT: Sorry Bama, not focused clearly. We are on the same page and I thought I was responding to space cowboy denying the claim that no one has asked for a hand down.

That is nonsense. Most ultra rich do nothing but manipulate the economy to keep themselves wealthy. You feel no responsibility to help those disenfranchised by racist policies of the past? Fine, I suppose you have no one to answer to but your own conscionce. Just stop pretending that everyone rich did it all on there own and everyone else is just lazy. My family might have had wealth too if their lands hadn't been stripped from them when they were forced onto reservations to satisfy white greed.See Indian relocation act and Cherokee trail of tears

That is nonsense. Most ultra rich do nothing but manipulate the economy to keep themselves wealthy. You feel no responsibility to help those disenfranchised by racist policies of the past? Fine, I suppose you have no one to answer to but your own conscionce. Just stop pretending that everyone rich did it all on there own and everyone else is just lazy. My family might have had wealth too if their lands hadn't been stripped from them when they were forced onto reservations to satisfy white greed.See Indian relocation act and Cherokee trail of tears

So I should pay for the sins of my great-great-great grandfather? Well, OK, not me because I'm certainly not rich, but others should? I fairly certain that if I go back far enough I can find someone, somewhere that stole something from my ancestors. Hell there is a good chance one of them was a slave at some point. Doesn't mean their descendents owe me anything.

Now I do feel that we should help those that are less fortunate them us. I don't think we are helping them by giving them hand outs. "Give a man a fish...".

• Like 2

So I should pay for the sins of my great-great-great grandfather? Well, OK, not me because I'm certainly not rich, but others should? I fairly certain that if I go back far enough I can find someone, somewhere that stole something from my ancestors. Hell there is a good chance one of them was a slave at some point. Doesn't mean their descendents owe me anything.

Now I do feel that we should help those that are less fortunate them us. I don't think we are helping them by giving them hand outs. "Give a man a fish...".

No i'm not suggesting anyone should pay for anything.There never could be justice for what was done. But recognise that there are reasons other than laziness that some need help. And the second part of the quote you mention "teach a man to fish". How about free education or at least trade school for those without resources? Your view smacks of social Darwinism and is about one step away from eugenics. I realise there are those who take advantage of the system and stay on assistance out of laziness but that is not the norm. Most would work if they could and there are those who need a hand up if not a hand out. It is a shame and almost criminal that in the richest country in the world there are those who go hungry and homeless while the rich whine about taxes while sucking down caviar on their jets

Most ultra rich approach politicians with bribes. That's kind of human nature to try and persuade others for your own benefit. I never said it is right. What I said is that the spinelss politicians accept the bribes and set the policies. No matter how you spin it, in the end it is the politicians who are ultimately to blame.

Helping others is a decision of morale. It is always a terrible idea to make that a law. Ohhh, I just seen you are asking for reparations. No, I do not feel such responsibilities to make up for the actions of racists that lived 200 years ago. Why the hell would I? That's absurd. One, because neither myself, anyone in my family or anyone alive today was involved in such things. Two, neither were you or anyone you know. I do not feel guilty for not paying up for the sins of my great great great great great ancestors who, btw, were living somewhere in Eastern Europe while all these things in America were happening so therefor they have no racist American sins to be guilty of themselves.

I didn't say everyone rich got there on their own. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. I'm no fan of spoiled rich brats that don't appreciate what they have but in no way am I angry about them either. Some people just have it made, some don't. I'm not angry that I have to work for a living. It's just the way things are.

I didn't say everyone else is lazy. I said giving them stuff will make them lazy. I also said it's not your neighbors responsibility to put food on your table. It's yours. Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for life.

So you're American Indian huh? The one race I always give a pass to when it comes to complaining about the past. But you are doing something other than complaining. You are demanding people today pay for mistakes two and a half centuries old. What's reasonable about that. Don't native Americans get free college tuition and all kinds of government grants and basically everything they can ask for there just for asking? I might be wrong but... If you are pure native I highly doubt you'd be wealthy if things had gone differently. You more than likely would be living a life of hunting and gathering if your culture wasn't upheaved. Again though, don't mistake me not feeling guilty for lacking empathy. I know shltty things happened but I didn't do it.

• Like 1

If you want to talk about quotes that are questionable to who they are attributed to This is one of my favs...

"Republics decline into democracies and democracies degenerate into despotism".....Aristotle. I argued with Britney on here a few months back about that one...no proof for or against that it was Aristotle...but seeing that is what mainstream says...and the fact that I like Aristotle....I am going to go with it.

I am also a fan of Plato...especially his musings of politics...

"The price of apathy in public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."...get your damn legal voting ID or shut up and live with it....

"“The society we have described can never grow into a reality or see the light of day, and there will be no end to the troubles of states, or indeed, my dear Glaucon, of humanity itself, till philosophers become rulers in this world, or till those we now call kings and rulers really and truly become philosophers, and political power and philosophy thus come into the same hands."

A very relevant Aristotle quote...

"The most perfect political community is one in which the middle class is in control, and outnumbers both of the other classes."

Sorry....

Edit to add another very relevant Aristotle quote...

"If liberty and equality, as is thought by some, are chiefly to be found in democracy, they will be best attained when all persons alike share in government to the utmost."

aka....get your ID's and get out there and vote....a silenced voice is no voice at all....and apathy...as said above...only allows the evil to rule...

Edited by Jeremiah65
  • Like 2