Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Police rescue 360 pitbulls in dog fight raid

Still Waters

Police in the US have rescued more than 360 pitbull terriers and arrested 12 people as they broke up an organised dog fighting ring, officials said.

Authorities said the malnourished and mistreated dogs were recovered along with $500,000 (£320,000) in raids on Friday in Alabama and Georgia.

US Attorney George Beck said bets on a single dog fight had risen as high as $200,000.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-23845877

I really don't understand some people... dog racing I can understand, and the dogs seem to enjoy it as well (those that are treated well)... but dog fighting?... There is very little that is lower than a

person that causes pain in others for their own enjoyment/profit...

• Like 5

I wonder how many of these 'rescued dogs' are still alive after a month or three.

• Like 1

I wonder if we can chain them to heavy car parts, starve them, and then make them fight each other just for the sake of entertainment and/or profit...

Edited by Mantis914
  • Like 3

I really don't understand some people... dog racing I can understand, and the dogs seem to enjoy it as well (those that are treated well)... but dog fighting?... There is very little that is lower than a

person that causes pain in others for their own enjoyment/profit...

US Attorney George Beck said bets on a single dog fight had risen as high as $200,000.

...there is your answer, unfortunately :unsure2:

• Like 2

Same as cockfighting and bullfighting. Anything that is a fight to the death for entertainment and money is just wrong wrong wrong!!! :no:

• Like 3

...there is your answer, unfortunately :unsure2:

Oh I understand the reason... Just not the people...

• Like 1

Some people don't deserve to be called people!

Hope the dogs can recover and be rehabilitated.

Mabon.

• Like 1

^^^ I do too but that many scarred pit bulls aren't going to be saved. I eel bad for the dogs but we aren't all Caesar Milano, aka the Dog Whisperer. I wouldn't want one around my family. It's a shame but these dogs are now scared, vicious, sick and unpredictable. These dog fighting scum are so low. And who is the famous guy placing $200k bets?

Yeah............sigh. I know not all of them will be able to be placed in homes. But as sad as it is, at least they don't have to die in an inhumane way. And for myself I want to think about the ones that can be saved and placed, rather than dwelling on more negativity.

Mabon.

• Like 1

Animal protection laws are a joke. Michael Vick is enjoying his new "tough" dog and acts as a spokesperson of the ASPCA.

"Specifics are to be determined, but Pacelle made it clear that the expectation on both sides is for Vick to contribute more to the cause than public service announcements. A source close to Vick said he has agreed to be more than a spokesman. Pacelle believes Vick can do the most good in the area the society believes is of greatest need -- urban outreach and prevention."

Urban outreach and prevention ...... right...

Yo, yo, yo, look at my new tough dog!

/facepalm

Same as cockfighting and bullfighting. Anything that is a fight to the death for entertainment and money is just wrong wrong wrong!!! :no:

I love dogs. I have always had a canine companion.

You speak in ignorance though. I happen to know fighting chickens....they do not need human intervention to fight to the death...it is in their DNA....the cocks fight for control of the hens....and they will fight...willingly until only one rooster is left....this is a fact. Hard to believe...not really if you do research and leave your heart strings behind.

The dog fighting....less natural....in nature, yes they will agreeingly engage in a fight but when one is losing....in wide open nature, it can run off...in a pit there is no escape.

I don't think so many people are too wise or educated on the nature of some species....they fight....hell even bugs fight...to the death....people learned to gamble on that...but it is not people that cause it....nature did this.

I am not saying for an instance that I agree with it...but some folks need to get their "natural" facts straight....bugs fight to the death....chickens fight to the death....dogs and mammals...not so much....in nature they can run away and be a loner from the pack....

I love my dogs and would never let harm come to them...but you that think "fighting to the death" is not natural are naive...nature is a cruel mother effer....

Edited by Jeremiah65

I love dogs. I have always had a canine companion.

You speak in ignorance though. I happen to know fighting chickens....they do not need human intervention to fight to the death...it is in their DNA....the cocks fight for control of the hens....and they will fight...willingly until only one rooster is left....this is a fact. Hard to believe...not really if you do research and leave your heart strings behind.

The dog fighting....less natural....in nature, yes they will agreeingly engage in a fight but when one is losing....in wide open nature, it can run off...in a pit there is no escape.

I don't think so many people are too wise or educated on the nature of some species....they fight....hell even bugs fight...to the death....people learned to gamble on that...but it is not people that cause it....nature did this.

I am not saying for an instance that I agree with it...but some folks need to get their "natural" facts straight....bugs fight to the death....chickens fight to the death....dogs and mammals...not so much....in nature they can run away and be a loner from the pack....

I love my dogs and would never let harm come to them...but you that think "fighting to the death" is not natural are naive...nature is a cruel mother effer....

I am well aware that fights to the death are common in nature. What is NOT common is animals thrown into a ring together to fight to the death while people wager on their death. You can spout all you want about how roosters will fight for hens. Last time I saw a video on cockfighting, there wasn't a hen to be seen.

And dogs WILL fight to the death without human intervention. My yorkie and I were attacked by a black lab while walking around the neighborhood and the lab tore my yorkie to shreds. Neither one of them were taught or bred to fight, I assure you.

Edited by MacsMom

I wonder how many of these 'rescued dogs' are still alive after a month or three.

Given what they've be living like and trained to do. I'm not sure if many will make it out of this without being put down.

All of the recovered money(or as much of it is needed) should go towards ensuring that as many of the dogs get the training/care they'll need to hopefully get adopted out.

• Like 2

Given what they've be living like and trained to do. I'm not sure if many will make it out of this without being put down.

Exactly.

The whole mike Vick thing is atrocious. If he truly had any remorse about dog fighting he'd have left the scene the first time he seen one. Hell, he would've never gotten involved in the first place if he cared for dogs. His remorse is because he got caught. His new good deeds are because it's probably in his contract. Fake ass.

• Like 2

The whole mike Vick thing is atrocious. If he truly had any remorse about dog fighting he'd have left the scene the first time he seen one. Hell, he would've never gotten involved in the first place if he cared for dogs. His remorse is because he got caught. His new good deeds are because it's probably in his contract. Fake ass.

No, it is not in his contract. Vick served his time, and, just like any other member of society, he deserves a second chance. He was made an example of just because he is famous. I guarantee the people involved in this bust will serve less time than Vick did, even though the operation is MUCH larger.

• Like 1

No, it is not in his contract. Vick served his time, and, just like any other member of society, he deserves a second chance.

And what did he do with his second chance? He went out and bought the most fearsome purebreed dog he could find and boasted about how tough they are. If he truly had a sudden epiphany and realized that animal welfare matters, why didn't he get a dog from a pound or shelter?

He was made an example of just because he is famous. I guarantee the people involved in this bust will serve less time than Vick did, even though the operation is MUCH larger.

I agree.

Yea he did time but he is still a dog torturing dog killing scumbag who isn't deserving of his role model status.

• Like 2