Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why Was I Born?

StarMountainKid

Why was I born, and why now and not at some other time?

This is probably an unanswerable question to ask, but why is my consciousness that I recognize as “me” existing at all? Any why in this present, and not at some other time in the past or future?

Of all the babies born in history, why was this particular one me and not someone else, as all the other babies have been? I have no answer to this question, maybe someone can come up with an explanation.

• Like 5

It's a toss of the genetic coin.

Consciousness apparently relies totally on brain function. No brain, no consciousness.

You only recognize yourself as being alive because you are. As a human you are in a civilization that focuses on being aware of this fleeting sensation.

Why was any of us born. Who knows and further, why should it matter?

• Like 5

The answer is in Sirens of Titan by Vonnegut

So I should thank the Tralfamadorians for being a pawn in their plan to repair Salo's ship so he can deliver an insipid message to some random intelligent species in the depths of space? Actually, this makes just as much sense to me as any other explanation.

• Like 1

This is probably an unanswerable question to ask, but why is my consciousness that I recognize as “me” existing at all? Any why in this present, and not at some other time in the past or future?

Of all the babies born in history, why was this particular one me and not someone else, as all the other babies have been? I have no answer to this question, maybe someone can come up with an explanation.

Maybe it was just your turn

Well, if you look at things in the long term our entire purpose of existing is just to bring on the next generation, so they can one day exist. Existence is a self-serving thing that really has no deeper meaning than to just try to continue existing.

• Like 1

The simplest answer is that "you" weren't born, but "you" are the product of everything that has happened to you since baby StarMountainKid was born.

• Like 4

During basic training, my Drill Sergeant used to scream that very question at me on the parade square, usually prefixed by the phrase, "You dozy little man!"

• Like 3

During basic training, my Drill Sergeant used to scream that very question at me on the parade square, usually prefixed by the phrase, "You dozy little man!"

Not to get off topic but my senior drill instructor was a big Samoan and the only words I could understand were,"You p*** me off"
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

It's a toss of the genetic coin.

Consciousness apparently relies totally on brain function. No brain, no consciousness.

You only recognize yourself as being alive because you are. As a human you are in a civilization that focuses on being aware of this fleeting sensation.

Why was any of us born. Who knows and further, why should it matter?

I don't know that consciousness totally relies on brain function; it seems to me all that has been demonstrated is that brain is necessary.

A more important question than why was I born is now that I do exist, what do I do?

• Like 3

I don't know that consciousness totally relies on brain function; it seems to me all that has been demonstrated is that brain is necessary.

Are you saying a non-functioning brain could be conscious?

Why not?

• Like 1

My point is, isn't it strange that I (my personal consciousness) exist at all? I never existed before, how is it that I exist now? How could my personal consciousness just pop into existence in April 1944?

What are the odds that I as my personal awareness would exist at all, and at this specific date? It just seems astonishing to me that I exist, and an absolutely exceptional occurrence.

My point is, isn't it strange that I (my personal consciousness) exist at all? I never existed before, how is it that I exist now? How could my personal consciousness just pop into existence in April 1944?

What are the odds that I as my personal awareness would exist at all, and at this specific date? It just seems astonishing to me that I exist, and an absolutely exceptional occurrence.

You are you because of the genetics of your parents and immediate ancestry coupled with how you were raised. To me this is all it boils down to. We are reactive biological machines that adapt and react to the stimuli in our surroundings. Our programming in upbringing i.e culture, parents, society, etc pretty much determines how our personality and awareness is expressed.

• Like 1

You are you because of the genetics of your parents and immediate ancestry coupled with how you were raised. To me this is all it boils down to. We are reactive biological machines that adapt and react to the stimuli in our surroundings. Our programming in upbringing i.e culture, parents, society, etc pretty much determines how our personality and awareness is expressed.

I'm a bad machine

Why is anyone born? Why do we live and why do we die?

I suppose we'll never have a straight answer.

I am inclined to believe I would have been better in a different time..

I believe no one is ever entirely satisfied with the present.

• Like 1

Hmm... I've thought of another way of trying to explain what I mean. Of all the babies born, why was this one "me"?

Hmm... I've thought of another way of trying to explain what I mean. Of all the babies born, why was this one "me"?

If you believe in reincarnation, it was cause you needed those parents and life to learn the lessons you came to learn...to evolve spiritually.

If you don't believe in reincarnation then the answer is simply: a fluke.

• Like 1

If you don't believe in reincarnation then the answer is simply: a fluke.

How about genetics?

• Like 1

How about genetics?

The sperm that reached the egg did so by chance, I guess...it could have been any other sperm and he would have been a completely different person.

How do genes affect which sperm reached the egg first?

How do genes affect which sperm reached the egg first?

I am not a geneticist but both sperm and egg have their own half of the "code" so it matters little. It seems it is merely a race, so to speak. A competition and little more.

I am not a geneticist but both sperm and egg have their own half of the "code" so it matters little. It seems it is merely a race, so to speak. A competition and little more.

So a fluke?

;)

The odds are exactly 1.

We are all born more or less the same person. It is only through living our lives that we become different people, and the person we are at any given time. You are the product of all your life, and there can be no other like you because there is no other life exactly the same as yours. Therefore, you can only be you. Here. Now.

You cannot be any other, therefore the odds of you existing now are 1.

Edited by Leonardo
  • Like 1