Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Winter Depression Not as Common as Many Think

Still Waters

In a study recently published online in the Journal of Affective Disorders, researchers found that neither time of year nor weather conditions influenced depressive symptoms. However, lead author David Kerr of Oregon State University said this study does not negate the existence of clinically diagnosed seasonal affective disorder, also known as SAD, but instead shows that people may be overestimating the impact that seasons have on depression in the general population.

http://www.scienceda...t Science News)

No, I think it's been largely displaced by Summertime Sadness.

I'm certainly never depressed during the winter! Winter is my favourite season. In perfect contrast to my girlfriend who loves summer. LOL

I'm actually noticeably more so depressed in the winter season..

Maybe, personally, melancholy weather affects my moods to also be melancholy?

Perhaps it's because the stillness of winter allows me deeper contemplation..

The quietness of everything promotes clearer thought.

Good to see it's not the weather to blame - it's just good old natural depression.

I'd imagine its more of an affect of what you have to do. In bad weather you are stuck in the house all the time. This depresses me for sure. It might not have anything to do with the weather more tge secondary affects. Cabin fever is very real and is probably an extension of this particular phenomenon.

• Like 2

I'd imagine its more of an affect of what you have to do. In bad weather you are stuck in the house all the time. This depresses me for sure. It might not have anything to do with the weather more tge secondary affects. Cabin fever is very real and is probably an extension of this particular phenomenon.

I like this..

I love the winter months, but I still usually catch a bit of the blues about February. For me it's the lack of sunshine. Constant grey skies and total darkness by 4:30pm everyday gets old quick.

People are so much nicer, noticeably so, on the days that the sun finally does manage to shine for a bit.

I think my favourite time is late summer/beginning of Autumn. it's not so hot, and the leaves are beginning to turn nice colours, and there's halloween and, a bit further off, Christmas to look forward to. I do agree that after new year it can be a bit of a drag, particularly if, as it often is, it's the coldest time of the year around Jan/Feb, with bitter Easterly winds.

I love the winter months, but I still usually catch a bit of the blues about February. For me it's the lack of sunshine. Constant grey skies and total darkness by 4:30pm everyday gets old quick.

People are so much nicer, noticeably so, on the days that the sun finally does manage to shine for a bit.

There are other things to do in bad weather to keep your spirits up, and the skew in birth rates 9-10 months after a really bad winters proves it. :D

Edited by White Crane Feather