Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

interesting object found on Google Mars

qxcontinuum

Hi all.

My first topic here.

Here is what I found last night on Google Mars .

It seems NASA was also interested in this particular object as the entire area was photographed closely with high-resolution cameras so the object is solid viewable. They are saying to be a "dark spot impact crater" but

not adding other info. The impact seems to be similar to a "plane crash on earth" a lot different than a natural meteorite which normally wouldn't affect the surroundings adding a darken texture to it. The coordinates can be seen in the nasa info screen . I've added a pinpoint with coordinates 0° 1'57.37"S 133° 5'31.29"W

ScreenShot2013-08-27at120449AM_zps62b6c7a5.png

ScreenShot2013-08-27at120541AM_zpsf2e7d06c.png

0deg157_zps4279b372.png

• Like 3

boy that is interesting.

But why would a meteor, at the speed and temperature they hit at, NOT affect the surrounding area?

A comet could darken the area around its impact site, see the impact of Shoemaker-Levy 9 on Jupiter.

This was probably a small comet to begin with, or possibly the remains of a very old one. However a meteor could cause this depending on the mineral composition, the nature of the impact site, a lot of variables to consider.

Welcome to UM.

• Like 3

Thanks for your comments. I don,t want to exclude the posibility of a comet or meteor impact but the patterns are very different than everything else seen so far. There is no impact crater. it seems like a crash at a lower speed. In the same time the object seems fairly small and all pieces close together which is very unusual. From top to bottom it measures 40 meters. The top sphere is having approx 21 meters.

Thanks for your comments. I don,t want to exclude the posibility of a comet or meteor impact but the patterns are very different than everything else seen so far. There is no impact crater. it seems like a crash at a lower speed. In the same time the object seems fairly small and all pieces close together which is very unusual. From top to bottom it measures 40 meters. The top sphere is having approx 21 meters.

It seems to me to be multiple small craters. This can be from comets being less dense than asteroids, so it was probably breaking apart do to the force of Mars' gravity when it hit.

• Like 1

Hi all.

My first topic here.

Here is what I found last night on Google Mars .

It seems NASA was also interested in this particular object as the entire area was photographed closely with high-resolution cameras so the object is solid viewable. They are saying to be a "dark spot impact crater" but

not adding other info. The impact seems to be similar to a "plane crash on earth" a lot different than a natural meteorite which normally wouldn't affect the surroundings adding a darken texture to it. The coordinates can be seen in the nasa info screen . I've added a pinpoint with coordinates 0° 1'57.37"S 133° 5'31.29"W

ScreenShot2013-08-27at120449AM_zps62b6c7a5.png

ScreenShot2013-08-27at120541AM_zpsf2e7d06c.png

0deg157_zps4279b372.png

Is there an article or link to the NASA piece?

Welcome, nice first post. What do you think? Something crashed?

Rest assured that NASA photo's are scrutinized by experts before being released to the public.

If there was anything of "ET Interest" the photo's would not have been shown.

• Like 3

You say there's no impact crater, and talk about the spherical objects.

Those are impact craters. Whatever it was probably burned and broke up in Mars's atmosphere, and made multiple impacts. You're looking at depressions in the surface, not mounds. Sometimes it can appear otherwise because the light in that picture is coming from the bottom-left and are brains assumes light is coming fro the top of what we're seeing (the sun) and thus we interpret shadows and highlights in a way that is incorrect. I've spent time looking at satellite images of Mars where canyons look like ridges and when I flip the image around it looks like a canyon. Sometimes it's like looking at a Necker cube that flips from being oriented one way to another as you're looking at it.

The dark surrounding area is a known phenomenon on Mars - the impact kicks up not only the thin layer of soil that causes Mars to appear a rusty brown colour, but much more of the underlying darker material that is spread out around the impact. At least that's what I remember reading.

I'll have a look at the full resolution HiRISE image tomorrow. This netbook isn't up to the task.

• Like 5

Rest assured that NASA photo's are scrutinized by experts before being released to the public.

If there was anything of "ET Interest" the photo's would not have been shown.

But I'm always hearing about how these images are leaked by NASA insiders. Leaked onto NASA's own website where they are never removed from for some reason.
  • Like 2

If NASA wanted to cover something up, why in the hell would they release it on the net!!??

No, those are craters from mundane objects, ie rocks or ice. You can find them all over Mars.

• Like 2

Why is it the circles are fairly sharp in image standards yet everything else looks blurred?

• Like 2

All fair comments and certainly valid. I am not an expert or I should say only a land (earth) Engineer

As I am getting more familiar with Google Mars . I have taken a closer look again and some fact just emerged from my observations. The object left a trace after rolling over approx 50 meters. There are a few secondary irregular shaped objects around that are probably covered in dust/soil.

Here is a big picture I've just uploaded. I guess the best is to be seen on Google Mars zooming in coordinates 0° 1'57.37"S 133° 5'31.29"W

ScreenShot2013-08-28at84033AM_zpsd6f4a83b.png

Edited by qxcontinuum

You can look at it both ways, as concave or convex objects, it seems. It looks convex to me, which suggests they are impact craters.

But I'm always hearing about how these images are leaked by NASA insiders. Leaked onto NASA's own website where they are never removed from for some reason.

Why would they get removed? They are never of anything of significance. It's always (and I mean ALWAYS) people with wild imaginations who see things where there isn't anything at all. Squirrels on mars anyone?

I personally believe and science confirmed it that Mars was once capable of sustaining life. I believe there are tons of clues that are waiting to be discovered. Maybe not at the surface but buried underground. In absence of water everything can stay well preserved even for millions of years. In the same time if intelligent life once existed i am sure it went underground or it moved away to another potential planet that was Earth, or both :).

I won't be surprised if in the future will learn the exact source of Methane gas (indicating presence of life) recorded randomly in certain areas on mars or patches of strong magnetic fields, and why not flying objects traveling at the surface. Not saying this is one of them .

Why would they get removed? They are never of anything of significance. It's always (and I mean ALWAYS) people with wild imaginations who see things where there isn't anything at all. Squirrels on mars anyone?

I agree. It's just that when someone finds an image freely available for the public to view on NASA's own website, it's inevitable that someone will say that we weren't meant to see it and it was probably leaked by someone at NASA. But that obviously doesn't explain why the images in question are available on NASA's own website and online archives and don't get taken down after they are "leaked". Edited by JesseCuster

I personally believe and science confirmed it that Mars was once capable of sustaining life.

I believe it too, as does science as you say, but then, they mean Mars was capable of supporting microbial life

If earth and Mars are similar ages ,and its assumed they are then in all the time it took life to get going on Earth, again starting from microbial thingies, plant forms, single celled and multi celled blobs etc etc

Mars just didn't have the same chance or duration of its conditions, for life to form as it eventually did here. the last bit of surface water om Mars probably evaporated upwards of 2 1/2 to 3 billion years ago, as there just wasn't enough magnetic field to shield it's atmosphere from the solar wind.

Edited by seeder

well its not just in rock forms people have seen shapes either, the following pic, simply cannot be found at NASA's archives anymore. Promise.

mars-curiosity-image.jpg

• Like 4

Is there an article or link to the NASA piece?

http://hirise.lpl.arizona.edu/PSP_002764_1800

It appears the darkness is caused by the impact blowing away and redistributing the surface iron oxide rich dust that gives Mars its distinctive rusty brown colour and revealing the darker material underneath.

I'd hazard a guess that qxcontinuum's 'rolling tracks' are something similar, damage caused by outward forces from the impact blast. Note how they radiate away from the crater cluster. Here's 2 pics of the same site, taken in 2007 and 2010 respectively. I think it's pretty clear that we're not looking at objects that have rolled into place but at impact craters.

gvj5.png

• Like 2

But that obviously doesn't explain why the images in question are available on NASA's own website and online archives and don't get taken down after they are "leaked".

Where's the proof they are even "leaked on to NASA's web site" in the first place? It's again, just someone's wild imagination. The stuff on NASA's web site are put there on purpose. ALL images. No one is "leaking" anything. I'm sure there are a handful of NASA webmasters. Kind of hard to 'leak" anything when they know exactly who you are.

Small impactor that broke up or a cluster of same following the same trajectory. Fairly recent looking given the relative lack of weathering, hence the interest perhaps. The dark debris is similar to the light streaks we see radiating from lunar craters only with different soil composition as said. Mars has much lower gravity than earth so debris travels farther.

As Jessecuster said, the appearance depends on the lighting. Very appropriately timed thread given that I just read this recently:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2013/08/03/optical_illusion_picture_of_sand_dunes_from_space_look_like_pits.html

Where's the proof they are even "leaked on to NASA's web site" in the first place? It's again, just someone's wild imagination. The stuff on NASA's web site are put there on purpose. ALL images. No one is "leaking" anything. I'm sure there are a handful of NASA webmasters. Kind of hard to 'leak" anything when they know exactly who you are.

I know. I'm agreeing with you. It's just that people inevitably on these forums do claim that insiders have leaked any images that someone claims contains an 'anomaly'. They do so without bothering to check where the image came from (NASA's online archives) or realising that it would make no sense to leak an image onto an online archive run by the organisation you wish to show is covering up evidence as they can delete it if they want.

When you leak something, you put it up on wikileaks or release it to an investigative journalist. You don't quietly release it alongside thousands on an online archive that is under control of the organisation that don't want it released and could delete at any time.

Anyway, we digress from the point at hand.

It's just a cluster of impact craters. Nothing unusual or unique. It appears to be a recent impact crater which is why it has been captured a few times.

Edited by JesseCuster

and yet there are numerous Photoshop interventions in many of the pictures provided to the public. Never understood why

I disliked in the same time the fact the Mars rover Curiosity was not driven to those "suspicious" items found, as to take closer Macro shots, like the "martian flower" or the shiny metallic object.... almost like the rover bearing it's name was not curious enough to follow the exact purpose was meant for :-)

Edited by qxcontinuum
  • Like 1