Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New element discovered

ozman

This reminds me of Avatar movie and Unobtainium.

Researchers at Sweden’s Lund University have announced that they’ve been able to confirm the existence of element 115 on the periodic table. Their research is being published in this week’s edition of Physical Review Letters.

This research team isn’t the first to create element 115, which is currently known as ununpentium. The first claim that ununpentium had been synthesized in a lab was by a joint group of Russian and American researchers, who believed that they created it in their lab in 2004.

http://www.forbes.co...periodic-table/

More business for companies that print out Period table of elements, that's for sure.

Edited by ozman

I actually made this in 2003 when I dropped an old smoke detector into milk on accident. Never did get properly recognized, just like those Russians. Science is a cruel mistress.

Seriously, though... I wonder how long the element lasts? Some of those really high ones have half life measured in something like nanoseconds. It would be awesome if they could make one that was relatively stable, but from what I have read theory pretty heavily says that is not going to happen. I need to get my superdense spaceship hull metal fixed and don't feel like mining a neutron star for it. Those drill bits are CRAZY expensive!

edit:

aaah, longest isotope has a half life of like 200ms. that's not too bad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ununpentium

Edited by cacoseraph

Seriously, though... I wonder how long the element lasts? Some of those really high ones have half life measured in something like nanoseconds. It would be awesome if they could make one that was relatively stable, but from what I have read theory pretty heavily says that is not going to happen. I need to get my superdense spaceship hull metal fixed and don't feel like mining a neutron star for it. Those drill bits are CRAZY expensive!

Don't worry, maybe the island of stability actually exists. With element 115, they are getting pretty close...

• Like 1

Don't worry, maybe the island of stability actually exists. With element 115, they are getting pretty close...

Nice!

Apparently not even putting my milk and smoke detector in the microwave will help us to immediately get there, though :/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Island_of_stability#Synthesis_problems

is it the element of surprise that was discovered when they dropped the smoke detector into the milk?

• Like 2

Don't mock me, I am a legitimate scientist!

Ok, no, I am a complete fraud.

So what are we suppose to do with element 115? It's too hard to find. We need something we can mine for.

I like Rhodium. Lets get that instead.