Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Detroit City Big Cat Shot and Killed

Overdueleaf

Such a waste. Savannahs are know as well tempered animals. Fiercely loyal and very social.

• Like 1

Shame someone's pet was shot. I've seen some news about a big cat in that area, close to where I grew up, but hadn't read the articles in details.

You said it Eldorado!

Stupid, stupid, stupid!

Mabon.

• Like 2

Normally it would be illegal to shoot a dog or cat except in some euthanasia purposes, but then again, this is Detroit. /sigh

• Like 1

Oh, Lord that is just so terribly wrong. I couldn't click on that link. People are such mean ____ anymore. Sleep peacefully sweet kitty.

• Like 1

Svannah'a are amazing animals. Half Serval and half domestic cat, they are basically giant house cats that act like dogs.

savannah-cat-a1-1.jpg

I've had the opportunity to play with several F1 (First Generation) Savannahs and their more wild parent, the Serval. Just like Servals, Savannahs bond with their owners and rarely, if ever, will bond with another owner. But, being part domestic cat, they are social and friendly as hell. They also chirp like Servals.

Edited by Imaginarynumber1
  • Like 5

It is sad, I suppose that the cat was killed. But I would rather have dead invasive/non-native species rather than live ones. Invasive species are massively disruptive to the native ecosystems they are found in. Granted, a one off like a Savannah is not likely to find a mate and establish a breeding population... but feral cats kill dozens of animals a week. Interestingly, feral cats are one of the relatively few animals who kill animals but do not consume them. This behavior is much more common in outdoor domestic cats (because they are fed enough calories at home and hunt because it is their nature) but it is definitely present in feral or escaped felines.

So, yes, it is sad a pretty cat died. But, every day it was alive it was killing something like 3-15 other animals. Most of which, likely, were native species with, I think, a better claim to existence in that location. So, given that ppl have been trying to live trap the Sav and failing for quite a few days, how many native animals is the acceptable price to pay for the live capture? What is your rationale?

Let us up the stakes a bit. Wayne county is home to at least two endangered species that are reasonably at risk from a clever hunter like a Sav. One bat and one snake. How many native, ENDANGERED species killed by the human created Sav are a fair trade off for live trapping it?

Sav's: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savannah_(cat)

Feral cats vs endangered species: http://joomla.wildlife.org/documents/cats_ecological_impacts.pdf

Endangered species of MI: http://www.fws.gov/midwest/endangered/lists/michigan-cty.html