Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is this photo proof of big cat in Tamworth

Commander CMG

An anonymous reader from Main Road, Austrey, sent in this photo which they say was taken between Little Orton and Austrey at around 4.30pm on Sunday August 18.

The reader said: “At first I thought it was a black dog, sitting waiting for its owner. However, when I got closer, I looked more closely at the animal and I soon found myself in a state of shock!

“The panther, which is what I presume the animal is, was sitting in the corner of the field, looking directly into the corn and seemed focused on something within it. I can only presume that this was a rabbit as the fields seemed to be full of them in one part of my walk.”

arrow3.gifView: Read more

An anonymous reader from Main Road, Austrey, sent in this photo which they say was taken between Little Orton and Austrey at around 4.30pm on Sunday August 18.

So somebody sent in a photo which may have been taken anywhere of an animal that looks as much like a large dog as a big cat, in my opinion.

Did the original have enough of the area in it to be recognizable?

It's a really bad photoshopped picture. A blind man can see it a fake with a cane.

Goes to show how the quality of journalism has fallen.

My cousin did animation for the movie Dragonheart. He's got awesome pictures of a dragon....

I thought it looked obviously faked also.

But at least this is a start, something I've been advocating for years with cryptids: (bolding and underlining mine)

He said: “I told you so - there are big cats out there! But it is difficult to tell whether this photograph and this sighting is genuine without cross-examining the person who took it – I would love to hear from them.”

I thought it looked obviously faked also.

But at least this is a start, something I've been advocating for years with cryptids: (bolding and underlining mine)

He said: “I told you so - there are big cats out there! But it is difficult to tell whether this photograph and this sighting is genuine without cross-examining the person who took it – I would love to hear from them.”

To be honest, if anything, it looks like the big cat toys, the ones we have seen in multiple faked photos in recent years.

• Like 1

Gorgeous and mysterious animals the black big cats: leopard, cougar, jaguar

They tend to be nocturnal. The perfect nightstalker, imo

But I guess if you believe big cats are about in England, the cooler English climate could change their hunting to diurnal, as well as the habits of their (not natural) prey.

Quoting the article

“Luckily my camera is equipped with a zoom lens, so the image taken is a lot closer than I actually was. In terms of distance, I was about three times away from the animal, from the point of the image in the actual photograph. “

This sounds to me like it was shot with a point&shoot, and judging by the resolution is the cropped pic kinda confirms that.

Also, if he was only at 3X zoom to get that shot, that's still pretty close for comfort.

The ears of the "cat" also appear to be down which is typically a sign of a threatened kitty.

One last note, i grew up around mountain lions and bobcats, never known one to sit at the edge of tall grass and eyeball its prey.

Agree with the general consensus, fake.

• Like 1

It's a really bad photoshopped picture. A blind man can see it a fake with a cane.

I'm shocked, shocked at the cynicism here on UM. Clearly, this is a spirit panther and the pale fringe around it is its aura. :P

• Like 1