Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

E-mail error ends up on road sign

seeder

man you have to love things like this.:lol:

When officials asked for the Welsh translation of a road sign, they thought the reply was what they needed.

Unfortunately, the e-mail response to Swansea council said in Welsh: "I am not in the office at the moment. Send any work to be translated".

So that was what went up under the English version which barred lorries from a road near a supermarket. "When they're proofing signs, they should really use someone who speaks Welsh," said journalist Dylan Iorwerth.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7702913.stm

_45162744_-2.jpg

• Like 8

That's old. :P I remember reading about this a few years ago. Still funny though.

• Like 2

I'd never seen that one before... Others in the office were wondering what I was laughing at...

• Like 2

The Welsh language has always confused me, I mean, how did they get letters which should never be together...together and form a word out of it?

• Like 4

The Welsh language has always confused me, I mean, how did they get letters which should never be together...together and form a word out of it?

hehe yeh, imagine having your Welsh travel / language guide in your hand, and you need to ask....

where is the "Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch" please? :lol:

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, a railway station on the island of Anglesey in Wales, is the longest place name in the Welsh language. At 51 letters in the Welsh alphabet, the name can be translated as "St Mary's church in the hollow of the white hazel near to the rapid whirlpool and the church of St Tysilio of the red cave".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longest_words#Welsh

• Like 3

hehe yeh, imagine having your Welsh travel / language guide in your hand, and you need to ask....

where is the "Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch" please? :lol:

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, a railway station on the island of Anglesey in Wales, is the longest place name in the Welsh language. At 51 letters in the Welsh alphabet, the name can be translated as "St Mary's church in the hollow of the white hazel near to the rapid whirlpool and the church of St Tysilio of the red cave".

http://en.wikipedia....est_words#Welsh

Haha, see!! thats just ridiculous. How the heck do you pronounce the "pwllgwyngyllg" bit (for starters)?

I think the Welsh were having a bit of a laugh with the tourists when they came out with these "names".

• Like 3

According to my sources, the name is now even longer! It's now....

"St Mary's church in the hollow of the white hazel near to the rapid whirlpool and the church of St Tysilio of the red cave and right across the road from Tesco."

• Like 3

"St Mary's church in the hollow of the white hazel near to the rapid whirlpool and the church of St Tysilio of the red cave and right across the road from Tesco."

bth_Smiley25-1.gif

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 1

Haha, see!! thats just ridiculous. How the heck do you pronounce the "pwllgwyngyllg" bit (for starters)?

I think the Welsh were having a bit of a laugh with the tourists when they came out with these "names".

I believe its a silent P

• Like 2

I believe its a silent P

LOL.

And I believe its a P alright.

• Like 1

Sort of....

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogocheverylittlehelpsboyo

It'll never catch on :no:

• Like 2

Now you can learn how to say it with a sing along!!

• Like 2

Ah man this page gave me a laugh :lol:

The Welsh Word for Microwave

Pop your tea into the "popty ping"!

Popty is the word for "oven" in Welsh, and ping is the sound the microwave makes when it has finished its business!

The Welsh words listed here look and even sound like English words, but are actually "false friends." In other words, they sound the same, but have a completely different meaning.

For instance, don't go saying that you are hurt in Welsh if you fall down the stairs. All you'll be saying is that you are "silly" and that is hardly cause to ship you off to the hospital!

English: Carrots = Welsh: Moron

(Not the English "moron" meaning stupid.)

English: Nothing = Welsh: Dim

(Not the English "dim" as in slow or dim-witted.)

English: Old = Welsh: Hen

(Not the English "hen" as in chicken.)

English: Crows = Welsh: Brain

(Not the English word for the organ that keeps us thinking!)

English: Exit = Welsh: Allan

(Not a name)

English: Children = Welsh: Plant

(not the ones that grow in the ground but, come to think of it, children do grow like plants.

English: Dough or Pastry = Welsh: Toes

(not those little digits on the end of your feet.

English: Challenge = Welsh: Her

(Sounds like the English word, "hair")

PLUS LOADS MORE

http://www.squidoo.c...nny-welsh-words

Edited by seeder
  • Like 2

That's old. :P I remember reading about this a few years ago. Still funny though.

The article sourced is dated Friday, 31 October 2008

Or you could just say Llanfair PG, or Llanfair as it is known by the locals.

• Like 1

It's easy when you know how :lol:

I believe its a silent P

No it isn't.

Edited by Still Waters
  • Like 4

http://en.wikipedia....est_words#Welsh

That was the first Welsh word my dad ever taught me. One of the very few words he remembers!

• Like 3

Apparently you can buy a conversion kit for playing Welsh scrabble. It's just a bag full of the letter "L".

• Like 4

Apparently you can buy a conversion kit for playing Welsh scrabble. It's just a bag full of the letter "L".

:lol: Good one

Best. Comment. Ever! :clap:

• Like 1