Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How much personal space people need

Still Waters

Close talkers, crowded buses: everybody needs a certain amount of personal space. A new study announced Monday reveals exactly how much most of us need, and finds that anxious people need a bit more.

University College London researchers say that generally most people need a boundary from around 20 to 40 centimeters in front of their face before becoming tense.

http://www.ctvnews.c...mfort-1.1430452

• Like 4

20 to 40 cm before they come tense?

Make that at least a metre for me....I'd rather walk than to travel on a bus or train like sardines...used to do that lots in London and I ended up walking to and from work.

I like to choose who can lean on me, thank you very much!

lol

• Like 3

40 cm's (16inches) rubbish you can smell their horrible breath,or that their hair hasn't been washed for a week, or worse. YUK. If I swing my arm around and it connects to a nose they are too close. (this hasn't happened),but I'm increasing my borders all round to 3ft 6inches from today,because my arm is 3ft long.

• Like 4

40 cm's (16inches) rubbish you can smell their horrible breath,or that their hair hasn't been washed for a week, or worse. YUK. If I swing my arm around and it connects to a nose they are too close. (this hasn't happened),but I'm increasing my borders all round to 3ft 6inches from today,because my arm is 3ft long.

Exactly that....the breath....the smells....but the worst was the touching and being squashed between people you don't know....yuk is an uderstatement! lol

• Like 2

I have real issues with personal space. I don't do socializing, (crowds). No restaurants, pubs, towns, citys, theme parks, weddings, funerals, etc or any place where their are lots of people I am not aware of.

I choose my place to be if I go into a pub and frequently move around if my comfort zone is being compromised.

My list is endless, You can count on one hand how many pubs I will venture into and even then I never relax, even the ones in my village.

I am an odd ball and my family have put up with so much with me being anti-social.

• Like 3

Exactly that....the breath....the smells....but the worst was the touching and being squashed between people you don't know....yuk is an uderstatement! lol

Put me down,you don't know where I've been. Haha.
  • Like 2

I have real issues with personal space. I don't do socializing, (crowds). No restaurants, pubs, towns, citys, theme parks, weddings, funerals, etc or any place where their are lots of people I am not aware of.

I choose my place to be if I go into a pub and frequently move around if my comfort zone is being compromised.

My list is endless, You can count on one hand how many pubs I will venture into and even then I never relax, even the ones in my village.

I am an odd ball and my family have put up with so much with me being anti-social.

I'm the same, I feel like suffocating in big crowds but I always thought it was because I'm a very small woman (5'1).

Funny thing is, the older I get, the more I need to get away from people!

ha ha ha

• Like 3

Yep, don't like crowds. The only people ok in my space are those I know very well, like family and close friends. I can't live in apartment buildings. Too many people around me. I have a house with three bedrooms, a bit of land, and that's just enough space for me, and me alone. I'm glad I work at home, with only the occasional train trip to the home office. Call me a recluse if you like--I'm fine with it.

• Like 1

Yep, don't like crowds. The only people ok in my space are those I know very well, like family and close friends. I can't live in apartment buildings. Too many people around me. I have a house with three bedrooms, a bit of land, and that's just enough space for me, and me alone. I'm glad I work at home, with only the occasional train trip to the home office. Call me a recluse if you like--I'm fine with it.

Recluse with good company sounds awesome!

:yes:

I'm not sure if it's the fact that i'm a germaphobe, or i'm super anxious...but I need my space.

If I know what kind of perfume/cologne you wear, you're too close.

If I can see that you need to re-dye your roots, you're too close.

If I can see that you're texting your wife that you're at the grocery store, when really you're in a bar, you're a slime and you're too close.

Etc. etc. etc.

• Like 1

I like my space, too. I have a neighbor who likes to talk to me from about ten feet away. When I talk to my next door neighbor sometimes I stand too close, and I can feel the discomfort in both of us. It's interesting. Sometimes I do this just to watch him keep backing up away from me.

Then again, I like insulting people in small ways and watch their reaction. Like, "Where did you get those funny shoes?". If they get angry, they're one kind of person, if they laugh at themselves, we usually get along pretty well after that.

• Like 1

Depends on the culture, I would think.

I like to be at least arms length from most people. You will never catch me in a booth, sitting next to the wall, where I can't get out quickly in an emergency. It's a combination of being claustrophobic and growing up in a redneck bar. :P

If I don't have a lot of time alone, I tend to get frenzied or angry.

Makes sense, I am a very anxious person.

• Like 1

Well I do need my space.

I mostly get annoyed by hearing people talk about boring things.

So then I just go outside.

I'm anti social but only with people who I can't relate to or don't have anything

to talk about.

I would not say I necessarily need space; it all comes down to comfort. If I'm confident you're not trying to start any thing by being my my space, it's fine.

Besides the literal definition of space - personal time is always necessary for continued mental health.