Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Pharma Firms Spread Male Menopause Myth

questionmark

A supposed epidemic of male menopause is upon us -- but in reality, this is a prime example of how pharmaceutical companies create and exploit new markets. Treatments such as testosterone gels could be doing more harm than good.

"Man, oh man," read the words emblazoned on a white tent set up in the pedestrian zone of the German city of Erfurt. Those who ventured inside received information on a dramatic scientific finding: One in three men over the age of 60 suffers from "testosterone deficiency syndrome." If left untreated, this dastardly condition can cause excess weight, anemia, hot flashes, osteoporosis, lowered sex drive and bad moods.

This same tent will be making appearances through November in Augsburg, Saarbrücken, Hanover and other German cities. Here, men over the age of 40 can have their testosterone level checked at no cost. They can also learn how to counteract testosterone deficiency: either get more exercise, or apply testosterone gel to their skin.

Read more

A little more of bad science for large gains.

• Like 1

I've wondered about this very subject. Are we breaking new ground and making a difference in men's lives through hormone replacement? Or, is it another for profit endeavor that is putting men at risk and adding something to men's bodies that is best left to run its natural course?

I wonder what long term effects we will see?

Edited by QuiteContrary

Title is a bit misleading: what pharm firms? Those who provide tested medicines, or those (S)CAM type ventures?

BTW, everything can be cured with Tachyonized Water, no doubt about it...

Heck, I can sell "DEME" (Dark Energy Masculine Enhancer)...

From the article "This traveling testosterone counseling service provided by the "German Society for Men and Health" was not born out of a purely charitable impulse -- there is a marketing angle at work here as well. The organization is funded by pharmaceutical company Jenapharm, the leading manufacturer of testosterone gel." (bold mine)

I believe I read an article about a study indicating that hormone replacement in older females has not been demonstrated to improve their menopause experience at all. Something to google if one is interested.

• Like 1

From the article "This traveling testosterone counseling service provided by the "German Society for Men and Health" was not born out of a purely charitable impulse -- there is a marketing angle at work here as well. The organization is funded by pharmaceutical company Jenapharm, the leading manufacturer of testosterone gel." (bold mine)

I believe I read an article about a study indicating that hormone replacement in older females has not been demonstrated to improve their menopause experience at all. Something to google if one is interested.

My bad -missed Jenapharm somehow... Anyway, quackery infects everything...

I think hormone replacement therapy is simply something the pharms cooked up to make more money. In females, certain kinds of therapy can increase the chance of breast cancer. This is the first I've heard about men being sucked in, too.

• Like 1

Title is a bit misleading: what pharm firms? Those who provide tested medicines, or those (S)CAM type ventures?

BTW, everything can be cured with Tachyonized Water, no doubt about it...

Heck, I can sell "DEME" (Dark Energy Masculine Enhancer)...

If you fail to read except the headline (as evident by now) you will miss the facts every time. Not only with this subject.

If you fail to read except the headline (as evident by now) you will miss the facts every time. Not only with this subject.

When you fast reading, details sometimes slip away. Whats you point? That I'm missing facts always?