Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Man fell to his death in freak accident

Billyf

the pulley, a simple machine. or is it...?

Where was the logic?

if a person uses a complex pulley they totally can raise or lower weights far in excess of their own. if they use a simple pulley, well, apparently they get yanked over a balcony and splattered on the ground. linked image shows simple straight pulley to complex mechanical advantage pulley, left to right: http://upload.wikime...our_pulleys.svg

edit: basically what that picture says is either you have do lift/lower the straight weight OR lift lower a lot more rope with a lot less weight on it

Edited by cacoseraph

That is crazy, why didn't he let go of the rope?

That is crazy, why didn't he let go of the rope?

when you are doing heavy lifting work via a rope you basically have two choices... 1) do i just use my hand strength or 2) do i cinch the rope around my hands to have a superhuman grip? from a safety and logic standpoint one must clearly just hold onto the rope allowing for a quick release in the case of disaster. from an idiot standpoint, sometimes folks wrap the rope around their hands and eliminate bailing out with things go pear shaped as an option. sorta clear what happened in this case =P

• Like 1

when you are doing heavy lifting work via a rope you basically have two choices... 1) do i just use my hand strength or 2) do i cinch the rope around my hands to have a superhuman grip? from a safety and logic standpoint one must clearly just hold onto the rope allowing for a quick release in the case of disaster. from an idiot standpoint, sometimes folks wrap the rope around their hands and eliminate bailing out with things go pear shaped as an option. sorta clear what happened in this case =P

i have seen this first hand (heh) by the way. when my dad and step mom had me and my sibs doing crazy agriculture work it came up that we had to top (cut the top off of) a tall pine tree. my at the time 16-17yo step brother went up the tree with a chain saw while my stupid dad, stupid step mom, myself (15-16yo) and a few of my younger sibs held onto a rope to control the descent of the top of the tree after stepbro cut it. well, he did his job and instantly things got crazy. the top he cut had to have weighed at least 3000lbs. my stupid dad was serving as anchor and the rest of us were between him and the top of the tree. when the top went into free fall the weaker people were instantly left behind from the falling rope. myself and my brother held on to a great enough extent we were lifted around 5' off the ground as the rope ripped upwards. my stupid dad cinched has hands so he almost instantly was moving as fast as the rope (around freefall for a 3000lb tree top in standard atmosphere and gravity) and proceeded to bowl through the rest of us. one of the more interesting and hectic moments of my young life, for sure! he totally almost broke his hand. bruises and contusions for the rest of us. i basically broke the gloves i was wearing. so freaking ill planned!

Edited by cacoseraph