Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bees: not just black and yellow

Still Waters

"Bees come in so many different shapes and sizes because there are so many sizes and shapes to flowers – the two co-evolved together..."

That's pretty darn fascinating! Kind of disappointed that there are only two photos in the article though. <_<

• Like 1

Bees are cool...it's the hornet family that you need to watch out for. Trust me on this one...I know all too well.

• Like 1

Bees are cool...it's the hornet family that you need to watch out for. Trust me on this one...I know all too well.

Yep, can sit and watch mine all day at work...

Neat! But bees freak me out. Regular old honey bees... not a problem... they just don't bother anyone unless you bother them first.

It's the yellow jackets, hornets and wasps that FREAK me out.

In fact this weekend, I got totally swarmed at the beach when I grabbed a hardboiled egg out of the cooler to eat for a snack. YUCK! I probably looked like a spaz running around trying to get them away. LOL. Ixnay on eggs and any high protein food at the beach from now on. LOL.

Bees, wasps, hornets--anything that stings--totally freaks me out. I see one (God forbid two!) and my heart races, my hands start shaking as my body goes into full panic mode. If it's an insect and it flies, it's suspect until proven to be something else...like a fly. Pesky little things.

Not all wasps are bad news. I made friends with a foundress (like, a queen, basically) that started making a nest above my door way. At first she and her early offspring were very suspicious of me... but eventually I could feed them fruit or honey and they would crawl all over my hand and eat it up without even signalling the alarm. Towards the end, her workers would crawl all over me to get all the food I was offering. Sadly, I decided to destroy the colony as relocating was beyond my abilities and my neighbors were less than understanding about the situation.