Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

First Scottish Iron Age 'loch village' found

Still Waters

Archaeologists have discovered the remains of an Iron Age "loch village" in Wigtownshire, the first of its kind to be found in Scotland.

Experts believe it could be "Scotland's Glastonbury", a reference to the lake village in Somerset.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otland-23896997

• Like 2

This is interesting... I had thought that Scotland had several that were already found ... but apparently not..

I didn't notice an estimated date on the structure - just "iron age"... I wonder if this is a relic of the Irish colonization

of Scotland back in the 5th or 6th century...

This is interesting... I had thought that Scotland had several that were already found ... but apparently not..

I didn't notice an estimated date on the structure - just "iron age"... I wonder if this is a relic of the Irish colonization

of Scotland back in the 5th or 6th century...

Ha ha you are in trouble me old mate,(it may be true) but yee canna tell a Scotsman that he is of Irish descent, or you'll have some huge as Bigfoot Scotsman knocking on your door (or maybe just coming straight thru it without knocking) with a claymore in his paws.
  • Like 2

Ha ha you are in trouble me old mate,(it may be true) but yee canna tell a Scotsman that he is of Irish descent, or you'll have some huge as Bigfoot Scotsman knocking on your door (or maybe just coming straight thru it without knocking) with a claymore in his paws.

Scots are not of irish descent... The Irish only settled a small(ish) area.. and with the subsequent influx of others peoples (English,etc) plus the "Picts" (or whoever) that were already there - any Irish blood is somewhat diluted...

• Like 1

It would explain why the Scottish and the Irish both like their brew, though....

:)

• Like 1

Scots are not of irish descent... The Irish only settled a small(ish) area.. and with the subsequent influx of others peoples (English,etc) plus the "Picts" (or whoever) that were already there - any Irish blood is somewhat diluted...

At my sons wedding to an Irish girl,I told her Irish father that Irish men were Scotsmen who could swim,my son said you're on your own with that one Dad.But he's a great guy,and we had several wee Jamiesons after.He said he thought Englishmen were French who swam across the Channel (Aaaaaargh).If you cant beat them - join them... slainte
  • Like 1