Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NZ: Man Tries To Smuggle Fish In His Trousers

Still Waters

A man's attempt to smuggle live tropical fish into New Zealand in his trouser pockets floundered when water was spotted dripping from his clothes, officials have said.

The Vietnamese national travelled from Australia to Auckland earlier this week and airport officials suspected something was fishy because liquid was seeping from the bulging pockets of his trousers, the Ministry of Primary Industries (MPI) said.

The man initially said he was carrying water from the plane because he was thirsty.

http://uk.news.yahoo...;_ylv=3#U3lOSTQ

• Like 5

To paraphrase Mae West: "Is that a fish in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?". What an hysterical way to try and smuggle something.

• Like 5

The man initially said he was carrying water from the plane because he was thirsty.

So he put it in his pants. Do people even try to make convincing lies these days? Not that you can make sense of water in one's trousers.

• Like 4

Two big plastic bags filled with water and 7 fish and nobody spotted that his pockets were a bit too....inflated......or big?

LOL!

• Like 4

Maybe they assumed he was swollen? I'm not making fun ofcourse, as there people with those problems. I'm sure he after staring for a while though, they must've noticed something fishy was up with him.

• Like 2

I'd like to know how he got on the plane in the first place. Besides, that must have been uncomfortable with the seatbelt on.

He should have told the authorities he was carrying the fish because he was hungry. An in flight snack maybe??

• Like 3

I'll be the first to admit that I've done stupid things from time-to-time, but this makes me laugh.

Good thing he wasn't trying to smuggle piranhas in his pants. :passifier:

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 3

Jeez, how dumb can you get? Even just sat here thinking it over for a few seconds, I've come up with a better way of smuggling fish through airport security!

• Like 1

Jeez, how dumb can you get? Even just sat here thinking it over for a few seconds, I've come up with a better way of smuggling fish through airport security!

Pray tell.

At least he didn't swallow the fish and puke it back out when hes on the other side.

nice 12M ref!

It sounds silly, but the pet smuggling trade is pretty crazy. From what I have read,.the animal parts for religious reasons trade is approach and/or passing the pet trade for certain species.

So, really, if someone said you could make $10 grand, US, for making one trip with *something* in your pockets would you rather transport three keys of heroin or six cute little fishes?

I know in my bug world people get snagged fairly regularly and in my end of the hobby they might make a couple few grand... not $10,000+

• Like 1

Pray tell.

Plastic baggies full of water in tightly sealed boxes in your suitcase. So if the bags burst, the fish and water will still end up in a secure box.

• Like 1

Plastic baggies full of water in tightly sealed boxes in your suitcase. So if the bags burst, the fish and water will still end up in a secure box.

Well, depending on the length of time the fish are going to be contained and the bags used, that might not work. I was quite surprised to find out, when on a bug collecting trip with a multi-animal enthusiast that there are plastic bags out there that allow gas exchange to keep fish alive in water longer than "fully" seal bugs would do. Though, upon googling I can't actually find any legit refs in the few minutes I allow myself for such things. Hmm. *Usually* basically true things are easily googleable, but I've had a few and my google-fu could be off. Or I could be wrong =P

• Like 1

nice 12M ref!

It sounds silly, but the pet smuggling trade is pretty crazy. From what I have read,.the animal parts for religious reasons trade is approach and/or passing the pet trade for certain species.

So, really, if someone said you could make $10 grand, US, for making one trip with *something* in your pockets would you rather transport three keys of heroin or six cute little fishes?

I know in my bug world people get snagged fairly regularly and in my end of the hobby they might make a couple few grand... not $10,000+

At one time pet smuggling replaced drug smuggling because the fines and/or risk of jail was much, much lower. Some animals like certain reptiles and parrots can sell for thousands or dollars or more. Usually reptiles make the news, fish are fairly unusual.

Whether tropical fish would establish in New Zealand's rather cold waters is another matter, but there is always a chance.

At least he wasn't smuggling 'brown trout' in his underwear. :whistle:

Edited by BiffSplitkins
  • Like 1