Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ancient Aliens

Maureen_jacobs

The thing that get me is he sold 64,000,000,copies. That just blows me away

He is still baby comparing to Jules Verne. Im mean they are in similar category. Only Verne is demigod for him.

Big Bad Voodoo

He is still baby comparing to Jules Verne. Im mean they are in similar category. Only Verne is demigod for him.

Big Bad Voodoo

But Verne never tried to claim his stories were true. Stephen King sold a lot of books but that's not the same thing

But Verne never tried to claim his stories were true. Stephen King sold a lot of books but that's not the same thing

Never claimed but they become true. :w00t:

On another hand maybe Eric is literatures blair witch project.

Big Bad Voodoo

• Like 1

Never claimed but they become true. :w00t:

On another hand maybe Eric is literatures blair witch project.

Big Bad Voodoo

Now that I might agree with or maybe any news report by Fox News
  • Like 1

The thing that get me is he sold 64,000,000,copies. That just blows me away

It's like I usually say about von Däniken's book sales: Fewer people have contributed so strongly to human stupidity.

• Like 2

Here is what I want to know; The life and times of Van Daniken are riddled with illegal activity. He lies so badly, and we know it is badly, because we can google and find the facts in less than a minute after hitting send to see where he knowingly lies

These are facts about him

It is fact that his teachings/writings on ancient aliens is a lie

SO why is it that people who are smart, capable of researching online and finding the facts in less time then it takes to have a bowel movement, still believe him? Take him as fact and defend him?

THAT is what I find confusing. I understand kids/teens and those who are not afraid to show people that they do not want facts to get in the way of their delusional beliefs, but adults capable of thinking and researching who claim to want to know the truth?

What's up with that?

One important fact you have omitted here is that EVD was once confronted with proof of his own actual fraud - he had hired a potter to create a plate with a pic of a UFO and a grey alien on it which, in one of his books, he claimed had been found at some ancient site during an archaeological dig.

The good people at the BBC Horizon program located and interviewed the potter and confronted EVD with the evidence.

EVD admitted to the fraud and, as an excuse, stated that without some sort of hard evidence, people wouldn't believe his claims.

It's an old program. I saw it on NOVA. You can see it on youtube. It's an hour long.

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DsOjqHm-VY&list=UUwlu5i60LlnzJD8J0GtJGLQ&index=2&feature=plcp[/media]

Most people rather die than think: many do. Bertram Russel.

Get your own sig. Stop glomming onto mine! :devil:

Harte

Edited by Harte
  • Like 1

Previous to von Däniken's work, other authors had presented ideas of extraterrestrial contacts. Von Däniken failed to credit properly or at all, these authors, even when making the same claims using similar or identical evidence.

http://en.wikipedia....ch_von_Däniken

Just another mumbo jumbo merchant

Henri Lhote (1903–1991) was a French author, explorer, ethnographer, and "expert on prehistoric cave art" who described and is credited for the discovery of "important cave paintings" in an "assembly of 800 or more magnificent works of primitive art...in a virtually inaccessible region on the edge of the Sahara desert" Lhote was an early ancient astronaut theorist and considered the prehistoric art as evidence of paleocontact.

-

The popular press gave much attention to Lhote's hypothesis of a prehistoric close encounter and it was later incorporated into the '"sensationalist claims" made by Erich von Däniken that ancient extraterrestrial astronauts visited prehistoric Earth.

-

The value of Lhote's scholarship was also challenged by The Journal of North African Studies, an academic journal affiliated with the University of East Anglia:

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=233044&st=45#entry4459083

• Like 1

It's like I usually say about von Däniken's book sales: Fewer people have contributed so strongly to human stupidity.

Or as I say, Daniken has saved the world from ever being short of toilet paper.

--Jaylemurph

• Like 1

One important fact you have omitted here is that EVD was once confronted with proof of his own actual fraud - he had hired a potter to create a plate with a pic of a UFO and a grey alien on it which, in one of his books, he claimed had been found at some ancient site during an archaeological dig.

The good people at the BBC Horizon program located and interviewed the potter and confronted EVD with the evidence.

EVD admitted to the fraud and, as an excuse, stated that without some sort of hard evidence, people wouldn't believe his claims.

It's an old program. I saw it on NOVA. You can see it on youtube. It's an hour long.

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DsOjqHm-VY&list=UUwlu5i60LlnzJD8J0GtJGLQ&index=2&feature=plcp[/media]

Get your own sig. Stop glomming onto mine! :devil:

Harte

If you have no hard evidence just manufacture some, that's rich. My favorite was the Nazca lines where he claimed one pic showed what looked like an airport taxi way and parking area until you look at the same spot in perspective and realize the proposed aliens would have to have been pretty tiny Edited by spacecowboy342

Reminds me of that quote from Einstein about two things being infinite, the universe and human stupidity and he wasn't sure about the universe
  • Like 2

One of my favorite things with EVD is his claims of the Great Zimbabwe ruins. When I visited the ruins I really enjoyed seeing the constructions, but it was quite clear that they were not built with tools other than stone tools.

• Like 2

One of my favorite things with EVD is his claims of the Great Zimbabwe ruins. When I visited the ruins I really enjoyed seeing the constructions, but it was quite clear that they were not built with tools other than stone tools.

Indeed, which I think is even more fascinating that alien stonemasons (a preposterous notion to begin with) any day.

Off topic but it's a bit odd to me that I never appreciated human history until I had some of my own (an age reference :P )

• Like 3

Well, if aliens did visit Earth hundreds of years ago, then why not now? Why arent they coming back, or colonizing, mining, settling the planet?

If 1 alien species got tired of Earth, and assuming there are 50-500 alien species in the galaxy, where is everyone else? Ok, so a few are peaceful and dont want to interfere with Earth's progress or history; but have all species agreed to quarantine or keep off Earth?

I do not think there were AAs because no ancient structures were made of diamonds, gold, metal, but only stone and wood.

I believe there are aliens, its a very big universe. And found couple of interesting sites in internet about archeoligal

finding. It surprise me that there are sculpture in space suit found in south america, a 'hammer' found in rusia and its

very old, before human exist, and the composition is made from pure iron and its rust free, imagine that.

And there is this 'crystal skull' found also in south america wich cant be made with recent technology. And many more.

Well this what i can post for now, nice knowing that are people with the same interest.

Apologies for opening this thread. Did not realize it was a touchy subject.

I wouldn't say it's a "touchy" subject per say, more opinionated really. No one is getting offended by it as far as I've seen.

• Like 1

I believe there are aliens, its a very big universe. And found couple of interesting sites in internet about archeoligal

finding. It surprise me that there are sculpture in space suit found in south america, a 'hammer' found in rusia and its

very old, before human exist, and the composition is made from pure iron and its rust free, imagine that.

And there is this 'crystal skull' found also in south america wich cant be made with recent technology. And many more.

Well this what i can post for now, nice knowing that are people with the same interest.

The idea that there are sculptures in South America of space suits is old. It probably is older than the claims of Von Daniken, but it isn't true. There are lots of claims of ancient hammers. The llano hammer comes to mind. The dating of the llano hammer is claimed by young earth creationists to be billions of years old due tot he rock it is in. Actually, the rock is in an arkose which is old pieces of rock recently cemented together. The crystal skulls were made in Germany and claimed later on to be from Central America. The quartz, which is the crystal, has been traced back to European mines.

Yes, you've been subjected to scam sites. At least you can say that the sites wetted your interest in many things that you can learn about - learn the correct stories because it is fascinating.

Welcome to UM, Rongit. :tu:

In addition to Stereologist's wise counsel, I would agree that the possibility for alien lifeforms exists. I stress "possibility" because certain things must be carefully considered. For instance, what exactly does "alien" mean? Is it a sentient life form possessing advanced technology to travel the cosmos, or is it something akin to a bacterium floating in the muck of some distant planet?

Science has yet to prove definitively the existence of either. All remains at best theoretical. In the harsh light of day, however, there is no conclusive proof of any sort that aliens traveled to our little blue world in the distant past and helped to influence ancient civilizations. Half-baked websites and idiotic TV programs like Ancient Aliens are going to dispense sci-fi whimsy, not scientific or historical fact.

I agree with Stereologist: now that you've built an interest, shut down your web browser and turn to vetted, peer-reviewed research. The answers are there, and they don't come from the stars.

• Like 2

Im currently watching it.. i love the guy who looks like he uses too much hair gel. Its fascinating seeing similarities, i offer no better explanation for some of theirs theories however others are just mind boggling stupid. still if they get paid to say these things for the world to see, must be a good pay. Makes me want to travel, id love to see the rock that was supposedly a portal to another realm-where you can stand in, i cant remember if that was Peru or Mexico?

I love how they go on about Mohenjo Daro. They admit that for a city built and lived in almost 4000 years ago it was amazing, a possible population of 35000 or so obvious city planning shown by the rectilinear streets and houses with individual sanitation facilities - built by the people of the day. Then they ruin it all by saying it was a nuclear weapon that must have destroyed it and since we didnt have them then - it must have been aliens. Ancient peoples had the same smarts and imagination we do just hadnt got round to figuring out some of the technologies we have - that all took time - specially the ones we had to figure out a few times as the knowledge was seen as secret for a multitude of stupid reasons. Its annoying that the AA theorists make out our ancestors had to be stupid and unimaginitive just because they werent sitting at computers way back when.

• Like 3

Considering not just some, but most of the show is BS, i stopped watching it after season 2. And up until then, I really did believe in ancient aliens, but I have the blessing and the curse of having a very open but also very skeptical mind and changed my beliefs after they where proven to be false. Some of it is still convincing and makes me wonder, its possible, but most of the show is BS. Everyone who watches it should watch this:

[media=]

[/media]

And... LOL

tumblraliens.png

Edited by AlienDan
  • Like 3

It surprise me that there are sculpture in space suit found in south america,

watch the first 2 mins to see your ancient space suits. DO WATCH!!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't say it's a "touchy" subject per say, more opinionated really. No one is getting offended by it as far as I've seen.

is that all you got?